South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

+10
JSteele
camo
crispy
01YZF6
ZombieNNN
Paladin
weirdbeard
hayweed
Dragon
joeyputt
14 posters

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 Empty Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

Post by joeyputt Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:22 am

Yes Brother Deviant1 I am going to mount it right off of the header with a short mid pipe firing back under the seat!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 Empty Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

Post by joeyputt Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:06 pm

I am building this bike as more of a racer but I wanted to keep the kickstarter on the engine because I really like the way they look so today I put a nice aluminum bicycle pedal on it to give it a little flavor. The pedal came off of one of my childrens old bicycles too so it is sentimental to me.

I still need to sand and polish it but here is a photo of it on the engine.
DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 000_0002_01
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:24 pm

I also removed the raised Yoshimura lettering that was cast into the end of the exhaust can that I shortened yesterday.

Today after I sanded it smooth I engraved it with DWMS and painted the cup Burnt Copper to match the pieces on the engine. I am still sanding the rest of the can to get it ready for polishing.

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 000_0006
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by 01YZF6 Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:44 pm

HAWT ! that is sweet Joey !

liking the kick pedal, think it will hold tight in there, or are you going to an electric start?
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks Brother 01YZF6!

This engine came with electric and kick start from the factory. I cut the steel threaded end off of the bicycle and welded it to the original kicker and the aluminum pedal spins on a steel shaft as well so it should be strong.
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:15 pm

I started polishing on the exhaust can today, it still needs a lot more polishing but here is how it looks so far.

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 000_0007_01

I can not wait to get the header done and mount the can off of the end of it!

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 000_0007
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by 01YZF6 Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:49 pm

wow ! you even got the bead polished up nicely !
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:08 pm

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by river rat Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Lookin good Joeyputt. I think you're getting the hang of it. You would appreciate that last sentence if you knew how good I was at that kind of work . HaHa pirat
river rat
river rat
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:28 pm

Coming together very nicely.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Thank you all for the compliments Brothers!

river rat wrote:Lookin good Joeyputt. I think you're getting the hang of it. You would appreciate that last sentence if you knew how good I was at that kind of work . HaHa pirat

Brother River Rat which work are you referring to? Thanks for the looking good!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by river rat Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:15 pm

ALL OF IT BROTHER. I'm not good at any of it. Love your craftmanship. pirat
river rat
river rat
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Hahahaha! I know you have skills Brother River Rat! Seriously, I was hoping to get some tips out of you man! I love to learn anything I can from anyone that is willing to offer!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:42 pm

[quote="joeyputt"I love to learn anything I can from anyone that is willing to offer![/quote]

Thats why you are such a wise man. Wink
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks Brother Weirdbeard! The header below is a prime example man, I had this idea of what I wanted but just could not get it down and one of my closest Brothers was here and with his ideas incorporated into the design we built the header below and it is even cooler to me than what I had originally wanted! If I had not listened this header would not exist. I am always open to share ideas and knowledge!

The tubing I used for this header was painted so I sanded the paint off and shaped around the collector today.

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 000_0020

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 000_0026
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:35 pm

I have the cam sitting here in the chair with me and have worked out what I will be doing with it. Before I start reworking the cam I want to put it back in the head and set up the degree wheel and gauges so that I can get the factory lift and duration readings off of it.
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:58 pm

Are you going to try your own custom cam grind Joey? I would say your nuts, but I have faith in you bro. Cool
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:37 am

weirdbeard wrote: Are you going to try your own custom cam grind Joey? I would say your nuts, but I have faith in you bro. Cool

Hehehehe! Yes Brother Weirdbeard I have been cutting my own personal cams for many years and I will be doing this one as well. Thank you for the faith man, I know I can always count on you for your support!

I would write a very long post here trying to explain it all but basically I have to grind the cam lobes off and totally rebuild them. Very time consuming and as with a lot of things I do a test in patience...the odd part is that sometimes I can be a very impatient person however certain things, like my projects, bring me peace.
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:52 am

That is awesome joey. I hope the came come out perfect.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks Brother Hayweed.

I removed the head from the engine today so that I can start reworking it for the reverse port setup.

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 000_0037
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:48 pm

I have been working on the top end for the past few days.

Today I removed the valves from the head and started cleaning it.

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 000_0039

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 000_0041
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 10 Empty reverse port

Post by Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:09 pm

JOE
it looks like there is enuff meat in that c-chamber for some bigger valves and another spark plug , just thought i'd mention that HE HE HE HE
on the serious side one thing i have not thought to ask you about, will this affect exhaust scaveging at all,

Last edited by BIGGERJIM on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : redo)

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Brother Biggerjim I like big valves! Hehehehe!

As for scavenging, when you say "this" are you referring to the header, the whole exhaust system, the reverse port setup...?

I could write a very long post on scavenging so let me know which part you are referring to so that I can answer a little better and shorter.

I think that a lot of people do not really understand what scavenging is although I know you do Brother Biggerjim. To try to put it as simple as possible scavenging is trying to have the exhaust system setup in a way that is beneficial to help pull the last remaining gases from the cylinder at the time that the intake and exhaust valves are open togethor (valve overlap) as well as inducing the charge for the intake. The exhaust pulse consists of high, medium, and low pressures and as the pulse transforms from each pressure to the next the velocity slows down, there are many different designs and endless debates about designs to increase velocity which in turn increases scavenging. I could get way more technical with it but I will stop here as that is the basic theory.

A lot of variables come into play when dealing with the scavenging effect like port shapes and lengths, primary header lengths and tube sizes of the header, mid pipe sizes and the muffler/can, rpm range in which you want the scavenging effect to peak, valve overlap, atmospheric pressure, primary tube placement into the collector, etc.

There are several ways to accomplish increased scavenging and many people believe in different designs and each design requires different components of all of the things, and more, that I mentioned in the paragraph above as well as differing components of each individual design based on rpm ranges, etc.

There are many different designs and theories but here are two for example. Some people believe in equal length tube headers, which you actually very rarely see by the way, to attempt to time the exhaust pulses in order to create a higher pressure difference for the next pulse, placement of the tubes into the collector is important in this design. Other people believe more in resonant exhaust systems where tuning of the headers primary tubes is accomplished by the tubes length to try and have the low pulse timed to the same time as valve overlap, in a resonate system longer or shorter tubes are also tuned for different rpm bands.

Tubing size plays a very important role in scavenging as well as too large of a pipe will slow the velocity down and too small of a pipe becomes restrictive. There really is no perfect all around header which is why so many different headers are available dependant upon what you are doing with the engine. A partial way around this is to run an EXUP type valve which opens and closes throughout the rpm range which I have actually thought about incorporating into my system but I really want to keep the exhaust looking clean so I probably will not.

I tried to keep it really basic and simple and still wrote a book and I really try to stay away from technical debates especially scavenging as there are a lot of different beliefs and opinions! Exhaust systems play a major role in the performance of our engines yet most people overlook them.

Last edited by joeyputt on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Ok... the science looks solid... what I could gather with my peabrain anyway! Glad to see you tearing into this motor and doing the true mad-sciencstry work. It's coming along nicely brother Joey. Keep it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Actually Brother Deviant1 it is mostly bs for real world use, unless you are building a full race engine and trying to squeeze every piece of horsepower out of it scavenging is not that big of a deal.

Seriously it is taking everything I have not to delete that post as it makes me sound too much like a know it all and that is definately not my personality, I like to listen more than spread what I think I might know! Hahahaha! I often wonder how much brain space I have used storing engine information...I can still recall air filter part numbers from over 10 years ago...just do not ask me what I did yesterday because odds are I can not remember! Ha! Sorry Brother I am in a silly mood this evening!

...wait...what are you talking about peabrain man! I know you have skills Brother!

Thanks for the compliments man I am really enjoying this build! I have actually become addicted to it and have to make myself stop working! Hahahaha! That is a good thing though...right?!

Last edited by joeyputt on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next