South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

+10
JSteele
camo
crispy
01YZF6
ZombieNNN
Paladin
weirdbeard
hayweed
Dragon
joeyputt
14 posters

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! Empty DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

Post by joeyputt Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Note-There are photos below of the first piece of the bike I am doing if you want to skip past the book I wrote!!!

OK I am bad about writing books but have a lot of information I would like to post about this build but I will try to take it slow and add information periodically!

This bike is very sentimental to me as it was my first big bike (non dirt/enduro bike) and I have owned it since I was a young child. I have ridden this bike off and on most of my life and it truly has become a part of me. Unfortunately I lost my entire motorcycle collection about 5 years ago when my shop burned to the ground, oddly enough she just happened to be outside and was spared but was close enough to the shop to melt the sidecover, seat, etc. The engine etc. were all perfect and it never caught fire or burnt just a little warpage and melting of the plastic and paint so I pulled her down and threw out the damaged pieces, pulled the spark plugs and filled the cylinders with oil and put the engine under the workbench and here she has sat until today! It is one of those special projects that I kept saying I would not start until I had time to give her the attention she deserves however I have been reinspired and I must say it is because of all the good folks on this site and watching their new projects and hopes and dreams for them so to all of you I owe thanks.

The plan-I have built this bike a couple of times, different ways, and am currently torn between two worlds so I feel the only solution is to combine them. I have always wanted to build her into a vintage style cafe racer and it is my belief that they should have spoke wheels, dual rear shocks, etc. and this is where I am torn...I am a lifelong racer and really want a modern suspension and rim/brake package on the bike...so I feel to satisfy my thirst for both worlds both vintage and modern racers I will build the bike with the factory steel tube frame and engine which I will modify to accept a modern aluminum monoshock swingarm with a fat sportbike rim and disc brake package and a modern (have not decided on conventional or inverted but will most likely go inverted) sportbike front fork setup with a sportbike rim and dual front discs...naturally the swingarm and rims will be polished to a chrome finish. For paint as of now I am considering a deep emerald green with a tan leather seat and naturally a modified stock or handbuilt fuel tank and a hand fabricated solo seated short race tail to show off the fat rear tire!

My suspension and rims were supposed to be here yesterday but have yet to arrive and I was just chomping at the bit to do something on her so this afternoon I pulled the engine out from under the table and man was she rough looking on the outside so as the engine is the only piece that will not have to be cut and modified I thought I would start with cleaning, painting and polishing it and it will be ready.

Twisted really got me going on his chain cover as I love what he has done with it so I though maybe I would start there...I have never done any engraving in metal or aluminum but have always loved scrollwork and scenes on antique shotguns etc. and thought I may engrave all the covers on the engine so to town I went and purchased an engraving bit for my dremel and I started playing a little this afternoon. This is part of my family crest and I thought it would be cool to put it on the bike...it still needs a lot of touching up and I am going to engrave the whole cover and then polish it but here is where I am this evening before and after so far...
DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! 100_4591-1

had to take this with no flash...going to engrave a lot more and then polish it!
I did this engraving with a $3 dollar bit in a dremel tool by hand, drew it in pencil first
DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! 100_4597-1

I guess with my 550 thrown in me, deviant, and twisted have the 1970's single cam inline honda fours covered!

See what I mean about the book writing, so much for taking it slow!!! Sorry...
You all be easy on me about the engraving job as it was my first but what do you think cool or no...? Will look a lot better once detailed sanded and polished...hell I may even fill it with copper before I polish but that decision is a long ways off!

It will be a long slow road as I have little free time and my beautiful family and working to take care of them will always come first but I promise that in true fashion I will personally build each piece of this bike myself with standard tools and I will document the entire build here on SAMC.

Last edited by joeyputt on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:29 pm; edited 10 times in total
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! Empty Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

Post by Dragon Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:35 pm

As someone who considers themselves with deep roots in all things Medieval....

Looks awesome. Very Happy
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! Empty Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

Post by joeyputt Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Thanks Dragon! going to engrave the entire cover and then polish it!

joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:04 pm

I would google "medievel designs." Might help some on trim.

Example:

http://www.stampsmith.net/medieval2.htm
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:12 am

Thanks dragon! I have one other helmet and shield for the other side and a shield for this side that I am definately going to use but I want to fill in the whole cover with scrollwork designs and leaf like that! going to try and do a little more tomorrow and will post up new pics. Also want to do some lettering in calligraphy.
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:04 am

Sweet man. Awesome engraving. Keep it up and don't forget the pics.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:10 am

You got free hand skills! That looks awesome.. I cant wait to see more. cheers
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:43 am

Thanks guys for the kind comments! looks like I will have a little time to play today so new pics later today...man I am excited to get started on this bike!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:35 pm

Wow! That is amazing! I'm going to have to steal that idea and try to engrave something with my dremel! Was the bit just a standard engraving bit?

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Hey Deviant, yes it is a regular dremel bit that goes in a hand held dremel, I picked it up at lowes for $3 dollars and the part number is 107, this is my first experience engraving aluminum but I am loving it!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Yeah, you're on to something there! Keep it up! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:02 pm

I looked through some different trims but most were just too intricate for the width that this bit cuts so I just drew up a floral piece and tried it. Most of what I looked at seemed kind of gothic to me too and I want to stick with more of a noble theme hence the floral design. This bit is really small but cuts a pretty wide path...need to find a smaller bit for more detailed work!

Here is what I drew up and engraved today...still needs a lot of finish work but here is the rough cut
DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! 100_4610-1
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Wow man.. You are a true artist. How long would you say you have spent on it so far?
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks Beard that really makes me feel good! I have not been keeping track of time but probably 6 to 8 hours maybe a little longer but a lot of that was drawing and sanding some defects/dings out of the cover in the areas I engraved.

What do you think man should I stop on this cover or keep going and do the whole thing...I can not decide but sometimes less is more but I feel I will at least add a few more pieces!

joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:57 pm

I would like some of your opinions on this engraving deal, what does everyone think...

engrave the whole cover...
or just a few more accents?

joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:01 pm

I would trim the forward edges all the way around with some very small stuff,maybe just a little scrollwork but IMO, I don't think you want it to get too "busy."
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:10 pm

Yeah that is what I was thinking...originally wanted to do the whole cover but I am thinking now that less is more and do not want it too busy either, and the forward edge or forward edges corners was exactly what I was thinking!

Thanks for the input Dragon...you do the photo shoot yet?
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:01 pm

Went scouting today. See the thread in the campfire. Smile
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Cool, I will check it out right now!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:21 pm

I agree. A few more accents in the large area with the helmet would be all I'd do if it were me. That is looking amazing dude!

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Thanks Deviant! Yeah I really think that would be best too, been doodling on it trying to decide what design I want to put. Did you grab a bit yet...? This is fun man!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:13 am

WOW....I am not on here for a bit and you come out with some true artistic mods! If that cover is any indication of the entire build....this will be a rolling museum piece! Joey I knew you were a craftsman, a true man of talent as well, but the words that I really want to use to convey my amazement are not appropriate for a public site! So, I am just going to say.......WOW! Shocked

I have a few Ideas on that floral work you have there...I will post up in a bit what I have in mind with an illustration.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:31 am

Twisted, You are a class act brother, for a man of your talent to commend my work shows that! You inspired me with your cover as I love what you have done with it as well! As for talent, hell I am just a regular old guy like everybody else on here enjoying working on a project!

I would love to see your ideas so please post them up for me! I am a little stuck on what I want to do with it...I kind of wish I would have slowed down and done a little better more detailed floral design but this was my first engraving and I got excited and rushed it wanting to experiment! oh well I can always do another one!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:40 am

Joey, again brother, that engraving work is just insane! Great job and truly an artistic touch. No need to do another, I think the size and shape of what you have fits perfect with the center piece, follow with that theme throughout and it will be absolutely insane when it is done! I have thought of doing engraving many times but have always though I lack what it would take to do the work the way I would like it to turn out. You have inspired me to try my hand at it when the proper bike build comes around. I want to do some Florentine floral work (cowboy style) on the bobber build I am planning. Enough of me tooting your horn and talking of bikes I want to build though, I could type all day about both! Here is what I had in mind for you already bad ass cover. The areas inside of the red lines is where I think the engraving would look the best to tie it all in without over doing it. You could even let a trail connect the top and bottom ones in the front if you see fit. All of the work looks great and I cant wait to see it all polished up!
DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! 100_4610-1
You sir have certainly raised the bar, my holes are a bit lacking now.....I guess that’s how its gonna be....if we are gonna play the one up game.....I better dig pretty deep into my bag of tricks!

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 am

Damn bro I would never try and one up you man! Honestly I wanted to do the speed holes in mine after I saw yours but couldn't copy you man so I had to go another route! I seriously dig your cover!

I am totally with you on lacking what it takes for it to turn out as I really wanted this to be much more detailed but this bit just cuts too wide a path for me to be able to do more detailed work and honestly I personally am not really happy with the floral part of it...

As for the red areas that is exactly what I felt the cover needed as well and doodled in those areas last night but could not get anything drawn I really liked...was thinking of incorporating maybe a heart or two in those area to represent love for family as the helmet is part of our family crest. But I don't know, if you get to doodling and draw up something cool post it up! the red areas are exactly what I would like to do! I have said it before and I will say it again I wish we lived closer to one another bro! no telling what we would come up with!!!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next