South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

+10
JSteele
camo
crispy
01YZF6
ZombieNNN
Paladin
weirdbeard
hayweed
Dragon
joeyputt
14 posters

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 8 Empty Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

Post by 01YZF6 Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:36 am

joeyputt wrote:Sorry I have not been around in a few days, been working on the new website and got really busy in the shop so have not worked on the 550 much this week, I will be getting back on her in the next couple of days with new pic's coming!

The site has a long way to go and is under construction but we will be adding to it daily! Part of the polishing page went up but we are still adding to it! www.dwmsracing.com

site looks good and like it is on its way Joey !

if you need any site banners or graphics ideas, shoot me a message. I am pretty fluent with photoshop
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 8 Empty Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

Post by joeyputt Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Well...just when I thought I would have a little free time to get back on my 550 I had 2 more jobs come into the shop and take it away! Dang! Well at least I got about 30 minutes in on sanding the fins on the cylinder head anyway!
DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 8 000_0012

joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by river rat Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:30 pm

That's awesome Joeyputt . You're amazing man. I wish I had some talent. pirat
river rat
river rat
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks Brother River Rat! You can do this man it is just sandpaper, paint, and polish!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:15 pm

Man that is one SWEET looking engine.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks Brother Bushog! Chassis pic's coming very soon!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:31 pm

OK I delayed the chassis a bit...I have had this idea for an intake and header setup for many years that I have been wanting to build so I figured as I would never sell the 550 I would go ahead and incorporate them into her! gonna take me a bit to build it all up but I will start with the intakes and as quick as I can get them done I will post the pic's!

...you guys are gonna dig this one I think! As a lifelong motorcycle enthusiast I have never seen it done!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:22 pm

OH BOY !!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:00 pm

Brother Jim I know you are gonna love this one!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Delays...delays...well the carburetors I had coming were not what I hoped they would be...but that is ok because I think I just located an even sweeter set!

As soon as I can get them here I can build the intakes and get the pic's up!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Well I guess as long as everyone is spilling on what they are up to I will to!

I am REVERSE PORTING the 550...CARBURETORS OUT FRONT...EXHAUST OUT BACK!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:52 pm

well then i gather you need some direct lift carbs, cause i know you want have room for a air box up there,explain to me how the cams, and the head are going to figure into this, want they be turning the wrong direction,
this may sound stupid but if you turned the head around backwards it wouldn't it be out of phase,
this sounds interesting

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:01 pm

Hehehe I thought you might be the first to ask about this Brother Biggerjim!

I know there will be a lot of folks who are skeptical and will not believe this can be done, etc. which is why I was actually not going to even let it out until I had her running with a video but I just had to tell somebody!

EDITED

Last edited by joeyputt on Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:09 am; edited 3 times in total
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:21 pm

well now you get over my head when you go grinding lobes,
thats going to be groovy
i thought you where going to say to run the cams backwards.
man that sounds like a lot of work lol lol lol
isn't the stock carbs direct lift slides
or are they vacumn slide
sure will be alot of air up there lol lol
jetting will be fun

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:35 pm

EDITED

Last edited by joeyputt on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Brother Joey....I am not skeptical of your ability at all. I am positive you can do it and I have seen this same thing done on a KZ1000 before, but the downside is that proper tuning for all RPM ranges becomes impossible. The problem comes in tuning when you realize that the venture effect that is essential to proper carb function is dramatically changed when forced induction comes into play from velocity. Because the front facing carb intakes face the windward side of a moving bike, this creates forced induction (sounds like a good thing right?) which is very unpredictable due to speed of movement through RPM range, wind direction/speed, and air density/temp. You would be able to tune it perfect through the rpm ranges while in neutral, and maybe even get it tuned well (ish) through a running RPM range, but you can never tune it perfect for both situations. This means it can only be tuned right for one perfect condition. Now you can argue that this is true for ANY carb engine, but the sway in reaction of the forced induction is much more dramatic than carbs mounted on the leeward side of the engine. I have read a good bit on this mod, and its pros vs. cons. When the dust settles on this debate in every case I have read, this mod only works if you use a true forced induction mod, such as a supercharger/turbo, that allows a more predictable airflow through range and motion.

I am not trying to detour you brother, but just in case you have not read up on this, I wanted you to be informed of some of the problems it may create.....Funny thing is, Deviant1 and I had a conversation about this same thing a few weeks ago...but we were thinking of trying it on a BMW airhead!

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:05 pm

I had a feeling you would be my biggest skeptic Brother Twisted!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:22 pm

Well brother Joey, like I said, I do not want to detour you from this mod. I hope you can do it, but I will suggest that you use some form of wind blocking filter, like UNI's or K&N pods....this will help reduce fluxuations in air flow and relieve some of the tuning headaches and impossibilities of the forward facing intakes. I just think you will find it impossible to get the tuning right with velo stax.

Now as far as it being bad ass...that it will be, and as far as it having WOW factor....well brother it will make many men scratch their heads a bit and possibly even start a few good debates. I want you to do it, but know that you have headaches in your future! I love "out there" builds....and brother you push the envelope in every direction! keep it up!

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:22 am

I have faith in you joey. I dont want to know all the details. It will screw up my head. But I do want to see it complete.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:26 pm

Thank you Brother Hayweed for the faith! I went back and edited the full details of the internal engine design out as I think it would probably be a little too complex for some folks but I am sure you would understand it with your level of expertise, and as a business man I do not really want to give away my full internal design over the internet.

Brother Twisted I really do not want to get into a big debate over the technicalities of the operation as debates sometimes end in hard feelings over differing opinions and I value your brotherhood, friendship, and opinions. I am not sure what was done on the kz you mentioned but I seriously have never seen a TRUE reverse ported motorcycle engine, that is, an engine with the head in its stock location, I have seen some with the head flipped around like the big drag bike guys do but when I say reverse port I mean where the head stays in its stock location and the exhaust ports become the intakes and the intake ports become the exhausts. Will it be a lot of work...of course it will, will it require a lot of tuning to set it up properly...definately! I am a little like those musicians that do not listen to music as they do not want others music to influence theirs...I LOVE to push the limits and be different, and I do not pay too much attention to textbook theory, others failures, google searches or wikipedia articles as I do not want them to influence my work, not that I am saying you do that Brother but so many people do. I know from some of our other discussions about carburetion we have different theories and that is totally cool man! Now get some work done on Caroline because I know she is going to be awesome and I can not wait to see the pic's!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:52 am

I just found out that the 2010 Yamaha YZ450F is reverse ported!

We had a very nice Christmas with family and I got new toys for my dremel! I am really excited to get back to work on the 550!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:48 am

that looks freak n nice.makes me wish i could get started on my harley soon but this freakn shoulder just ant have n it.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:50 pm

I am ready to start putting a lot of time in the 550! I got started on the frame and cut it down to the engine cradle. I also cut off all of the tabs that I will not be using and removed the centerstand and the brackets for it.

I will be using the stock neck but I am converting the front of the frame from a double downtube to a single downtube to the ports and double downtube from the ports down to make more room for the carburetors out front. Also from the factory these frames have a sheetmetal backbone from the neck back (under the tank) so I cut this out as well and will be replacing it with tube so the frame will be a full tube chassis.

I set the engine in the cradle today and started working out the exhaust too which I am building now! Here is what the cradle looked like before I set the engine in it.

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 8 000_0030

Last edited by joeyputt on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by 01YZF6 Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:18 pm

** pops popcorn **
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:45 pm

What does pops popcorn mean?
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next