South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a few good roads

4 posters

Go down

Looking for a few good roads Empty Looking for a few good roads

Post by camo Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:31 pm

i am organizing a group ride for riders at work with a stop for lunch. I was thinking about riding on the east side of the bay heading north. Any great roads that arent too technical and are not straight flat roads that I should know about? How about a good place to eat on the area of good roads?

Any input will be appreciated.

camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Looking for a few good roads Empty Re: Looking for a few good roads

Post by Miss G Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Yes, I know plenty...would be FAR easier to describe than to type it all out... Sad
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 am

From Spanish Fort, US31/Malbis, go north toward the Faulkner State JC campus, make a couple of left turns, come out onto 225; or take 225 directly from 31 at the second traffic light east of the old causeway.

225 all the way to Stockton; eat at the Stagecoach (home cooking buffet and the destination of an Iron Butt Assn. ride on the last Saturday of the year; frequent destination for motorcyclists). 225 will run into 59 in sight of the Stagecoach.

A less demanding route is to take I-65 to 225 or to 59 and go north a short distance to the Stagecoach.

59 north from Stockton a few miles; a right turn, then a left turn brings you out onto 31 at Perdido. 31 south a mile or so brings you to County 61 (?), a left-only off 31. That comes out on 112, the "back way" from Bay Minette to the paper mill on US 29 north of Pensacola, but the first right off of 112 brings you out at Wilcox Exit on I-10 (Oasis Truck Stop and Derailed Diner).

Staying north on 59 takes you to Chrysler, the most northern named location in Baldwin County. A left turn there takes you up to US 84 (?) on which you can cross back over the delta (the first place north of the Causeway you can) into Grove Hill. From Grove Hill back to Mobile it's very uninspiring, but the roads between Spanish Fort and Grove Hill are some of the best riding in the area.

Check maps and confirm my memory of the (?) route numbers and the location of the turns off 59, and the route from Stockton to Perdido and back to 112. The loop through Grove Hill is pretty much an all-day ride.

Another good ride mostly beyond the area you ask about is (from Mobile) up I-65 to the first exit beyond the Uriah/Flomaton (or is it Rabun/Flomaton? -- Flomaton, anyway, and that one the first past the Atmore exit), then north up toward Repton. A few miles south of Repton, in the middle of nowhere, across from a little cemetary, is the Back 40 restaurant. Some of the best burgers you'll ever eat, and the whole menu is very good.

Good luck . . .

TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtFreak Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:10 am

Highway 41 north of Atmore has some great twisties with elevation. Don't know about eating. We ate at Millers Landing or something.
DirtFreak
DirtFreak
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down