South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Modifications - What are you doing to your ride during this cold weather?

+5
2002xlh
hayweed
joeyputt
Dragon
Phantom
9 posters

Go down

Winter Modifications - What are you doing to your ride during this cold weather? Empty Winter Modifications - What are you doing to your ride during this cold weather?

Post by Phantom Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Winter Modifications - What are you doing to your ride during this cold weather?

I changed my tag back to vertical after the horizontal tag broke off during the Angel Ride. DOH!

I know everyone is looking for cheap modifications to do right now... Personally, I like the cheap but high impact changes. What are some things you have done on the cheap?

I took a black sharpie to the some of the exposed galvanized bolts.
Phantom
Phantom
Admin

http://www.samcsociety.com

Back to top Go down

Winter Modifications - What are you doing to your ride during this cold weather? Empty Re: Winter Modifications - What are you doing to your ride during this cold weather?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Keep an eye on Caroline's thread....the list of goodies she will be getting when she goes back under the blade is too long for me to list! I should get into her again right after Christmas!!!!

Back to top Go down

Winter Modifications - What are you doing to your ride during this cold weather? Empty Re: Winter Modifications - What are you doing to your ride during this cold weather?

Post by Dragon Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:53 pm

I used to use sharpies. But now I go to hobby lobby and get testor's paint pens which are in the models section. Easier touchup and lasts longer.

Lots of states are lobbying hard to outlaw the vertical plates, I would keep up to date on that. I prefer the vertical look myself even though I have broken one too. Some guys mount them on the rear strut to keep em up higher, but then you have to watch for not slicing your leg open when throwing a leg across.

With a little vision and ebay it is getting easier to do mods on the cheap. Pretty LED taillights, custom turn signals, different seats, sometimes even paint changes. I have seen a couple guys doing tins trade ins, where you can get a custom painted set with a trade in for around 800. Also mirrors, grips, footpegs, the list goes on.

I dont have the cash right now, but I want to get the heat shields I bought a long while back black powdercoated. Get this: I buy a black exhaust and later want to get the heat shields for it so I will stop cooking my leg. They only come in CHROME. How stupid is that?

geek

Another thing I do in winter is pull the tank and seat, then triple wax everything I can get to. This means wash and wax, then rub that off, then rewax and rub, then a final time. Sounds like a lot of work, but I only do that a couple times a year. And doing it like that means nearly nothing sticks, so it's an easy drop into any car wash, blast it with pure water, wipe and back to shiny clean the rest of the year. Also started using something a friend of mine sells called "Bug Slide" which they also carry at Eastern shore Harley now. Puts a very hard shell on paint and chrome so stuff just slides right off. Keeps fingerprints off, too. I put that over the wax and chrome.

Then while I have stuff pulled off I put electrical grease on all connections and make sure they are fastened down properly, check all hoses and clamps, etc..
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:06 pm

I will have to +1 on Brother Twisted's comment as my list is rather long too and most of my stuff will require a lot of explanation! Mine is the cb550 supersport over in the garage for our new members.

Might I add that I am excited to see what everyone is up to? I know that me and Brothers Twisted Wheels, Deviant1, and Biggerjim all have major restorations and mod's going...as well as many others here too...and they are all being so secretive...I bet they are in the shop right now turning wrenches to one up me...I better get back out there and catch up!

joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:58 pm

I will be doing a little wiring that I have been putting off. Nothing too major. I really dont have the funds to get too far into it.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Mods ? I don't have time for mods I am to busy riding bawhahaha ! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:53 pm

I want to redo the chain and fairings on my chopper project. Got a plan to cut up some sport bike fairings for the chopper... Smile

On the Road King, I want to replace the clutch cable - need a slightly longer one so I can reroute the thing and make it look less obvious. I need to readjust the new bars a bit too - they are just a hair too far forward for a comfortable long ride.

I also wanna chop my quick release sissybar and make a quick release top box for touring. I have plans to hit Daytona Bike Week and a few long weekend trips I am planning. If I hit the lotto - then I intend to finally get to Sturgis Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2002xlh Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:19 pm

riding mine...thats what im doin to her
2002xlh
2002xlh
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantom Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:28 pm

I started on some new bars for the wife's sporty. Anybody know where or of a way to bend 1" sch 40 steel pipe without kinking it? I need to put a radius in the pipe before I cut it up to use.
Phantom
Phantom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:27 pm

Use a spring that has an inside diameter of close to 1 inch and is easily bendable, heat the tube where you wand the bend, slide the spring over it and bend! Pretty simple process. The difficult part is finding the right spring.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Oh, and just so you know, bend it real slow!

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantom Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:57 pm

10-4. Anyone know where I can get 1" ID spring?
Phantom
Phantom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Auto parts stores use springs for bending heater hoses to make them bend without kinking the ruber. They have them for 3/4 hose so it should be close.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:17 pm

I am actually going to have to tear into the rat-maxim this winter, she is doing some not good stuff.
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:19 pm

I hope it's not terminal.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:49 pm

I am hoping that she just needs a valve shim job. Number 4 keeps on dying. I think that I am getting fuel and spark but not at the same time.
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Complete Service, new tires...and a Reverse gear added!
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

https://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/jamesr100/Bike%20Stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by misfit Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:28 am

You guys can park til it warms up if you want... but, I'm gonna ride. Razz
misfit
misfit
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:25 am

same here!
but the chopper's new fairings are on the way!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtFreak Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:28 am

I'm out riding, but I do need to adjust my race carb. That cold dry air messes up my jetting. I have not seen any other bikes riding in days.
DirtFreak
DirtFreak
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:50 pm

I did about 40 miles yesterday after it hit 40 degrees. Hey! The sun was out!
Chaps would have been better...a scarf a necessity...and I zipped in the ear flaps on my shorty helmet. Bike ran great. Stagecoach annual last ride of the year is tomorrow up in Stockton. Some of us are meeting up at the Loves station on 59 by the interstate at about 10:30am to go up there. KSU at 11am.

Jim
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtFreak Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:17 pm

I would go to Stockton, but I don't get off of work until 3:30pm.
DirtFreak
DirtFreak
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:01 am

I just got my Road King out of the shop a few weeks ago. Had the rear header replaced as it cracked....then added screaming eagle performance touring slip on mufflers with the fishtail tips....always had a thing for the fishtails....very nostalgic......new back tire and full service...and most important....added a Champion Reverse gear!! My Road King pulls a big sidecar so the reverse means I can park anywhere now and the wife doesn't have to get out of the sidecar and push me back!
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down