South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Built a little rim polishing wood rack today

+2
hayweed
joeyputt
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Built a little rim polishing wood rack today Empty Built a little rim polishing wood rack today

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:33 pm

OK I know twistedwheels likes to see our work spaces and home made bike tables, etc. and we have been talkng polishing a bit lately so I thought I would post it up. I have been wanting to build this little rack for awhile so I could mount a rim in it and be able to spin it as I sand and polish...I had a bunch of 2x4's that were the batterboards from a cement slab I poured recently and figured I would use them for a rim rack! It is nothing fancy but is solid and functional. The front hanger swings to the side so I can set the rim in then swing it down and run the axle through, then I added another axle on the rear to mount a rim at more of an angle for working on the flats of rims easier. I found a set of caster wheels I had in the shop and bolted them to the bottom so I can roll the rack around the shop too, and I built it low so I can sit my lazy azz in a chair and go for hours! hehehe

Note-that is just an old set of rims I used for measurements...

Built a little rim polishing wood rack today 100_4588
Built a little rim polishing wood rack today 100_4589
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Built a little rim polishing wood rack today Empty Re: Built a little rim polishing wood rack today

Post by hayweed Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Kewl. Maybe it will make it easier to do mine when I stop riding long enough to let you do them.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Built a little rim polishing wood rack today Empty Re: Built a little rim polishing wood rack today

Post by Paladin Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 pm

sweeet
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:19 pm

hayweed wrote:Kewl. Maybe it will make it easier to do mine when I stop riding long enough to let you do them.

Yeah yours are going to look nice! I always liked doing rims on a bike for the simple fact that I could spin them while sanding/polishing so now my off the bike rim jobs are going to be so much easier! Looks like you all just had an awesome trip, is Helen as nice as everyone says?
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks for the sweet draconis!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:36 pm

joeyputt wrote: rim jobs are going to be so much easier!

Razz
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:37 pm

yeah I was waiting to see who would be the "rim job" prankster! Good one man! hehe

Last edited by joeyputt on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:39 pm

Sorry man.. You just set it up so well. tongue
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:41 pm

I know right! rim job...wood...rack...hell I was asking for it!!!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:50 pm

HA !! Very Happy For real though thats a cool jig. That really looks like it will work well. I would love for you to do a wheel and show the process. .. I polished a 671 super charger and swore I would never do that again it was so much work... Evil or Very Mad
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:57 pm

I will set up a thread and show the work...I bet that supercharger was a job! I have a set of corvette rims I am doing for a friend that are a rough cast finish and am having to sand them down...looking like 40 hours per rim! one of them is the last photo in my signature or there are larger pics at www.photobucket.com./home/joeyputt they are not done but I posted them up so the owner could see the progress...man I thought about you today when I was building that rig as I read you are a carpenter so don't look too close at it as I was only going for functionality!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:08 pm

Thats great looking work.. Whats the deal with the connecting rod? That would make a fine house decoration. cheers

Your jig looks just fine to me man.. No need to get real fancy with functional stuff like that unless you just have a lot of time on your hands. My work benches are built much that same way.
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:16 pm

The connecting rod is a billet piece that goes in one of my briggs 10,000 rpm race engines (yes ten thousand!) for a speedway racing kart, one of my other passions...polished it today
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Cool! Twisted Evil I wonder how many rpm the Briggs on my lawn mower would turn. Evil or Very Mad
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Turning 3600 factory but we can make it throw roosters when you are ready! there is a pic of one of my engines on the antique racer thread under the garage...
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:41 pm

Helen is a very nice place. Very old. We had a great time up there. We make this trip every year. A different place each time. Maybe you can make it next year. Not sure on the destination yet.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:47 pm

I have seen lots of photos and read articles on it but have never made it there, have traveled all over the east coast just never to Helen but I have read that it is a beautiful place...
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:30 am

Nice Joey! I like the work table, But I hate I came into this thread so late, I really wanted to fire off a good rim job joke...beard long beat me to the punch! Deviant1 came over to my place last night and tried his hand at polishing for the first time, he did good, but did not have enough time to get too much done. He under-estimated the amount of time that goes into polishing! Hahahaha!

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Thats cool you guys hang out and help each other, that is the way it is supposed to be! and yeah everyone underestimates the time it takes!

On another note I may be getting the rims, swingarm and forks I want to use on the supersport today! If so I will start a thread and post a pic of what will look like an exploded motorcycle of the parts I will be using to assemble the bike and get started fabricating every thing up so I can mock it up!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Yeah, dude, my next purchase is a bench grinder! I loved polishing! I'll post up some pics as soon as I get a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 pm

Can't wait to see what you got done! Used the rack last night late and this afternoon...man I should have built that a long time ago!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:38 pm

Come on Deviant...quit teasing! We want to see what you got polished for Dolores!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:49 pm

I'll get some pics this weekend. There's a few little things that I've done, but nothing real big. I'm looking hard for a used bench grinder BTW...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:56 pm

I am building a polishing machine from a 3/4 hp 115 V electric motor from a A/C indoor unit. My problem is the speed, but I am working on that right now. study

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:34 pm

sounds cool twisted! Deviant the regular little black and decker bench grinders are really inexpensive and hold up well and lowes has an arbor kit that fits it to extend the arm out and put your wheels on...I do not use wheels too much anymore and polish mostly by hand but I have that setup here for polishing small parts here and there and have used it for years without failure. Got a new BIG polisher on the stand coming in from a friend of mine who got out of polishing that is too good of a deal to pass up!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next