South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any other vintage Honda nuts out there?

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any other vintage Honda nuts out there? Empty Any other vintage Honda nuts out there?

Post by Guest Sun May 23, 2010 4:19 pm

The bike that got me in to motorcycling a few years ago was the Honda CB750 sohc. I wanted one so badly, and I finally ended up with one! After that I became a real Honda nut. I think one day I'll own a Yamaha or an ironheead Sportie, but other than that it'll be all Honda! Especially old ones. Honda just built their bikes to a higher all-around quality than the other Japanese bikes back in the 60's and early 70's. They've continued to put out a good product, but the other manufacturers have caught up to them. I'm rambling... sorry.
To get to the point I was wondering if any of you are into the old Hondas like me. I know they're out there, so maybe some will make their way over here. Post up your stories about old Hondas. Tell us about your collection or which old Hondas you'd like to own.

I'll start. In my garage currently is a 1972 Honda CB750 cafe racer (Dolores), a barn fresh(Ha!)1968 Honda CB350, a 1985 Honda Rebel 250 Bobber project(Eleanor Rigby) for my stepson, A spare 72 CB750 motor, A spare 72 CB350 motor and carbs, A 125cc Honda ATV motor(I'm going to make a little street tracker out of it. Pull start and centrifugal clutch!), A Hondamatic 750 motor, and tons of Honda wheels, airboxes, carb racks, etc. I think I have the beginings of some sort of sickness here. I'm now thinking of build a shop in my back yard so that I can have more bikes. You see my wife walks through my garage every day, so when I try to sneak in a new bike it never works. If I had a shop in my backyard though... Smile

Back to top Go down

Any other vintage Honda nuts out there? Empty Re: Any other vintage Honda nuts out there?

Post by Guest Mon May 24, 2010 3:51 pm

an old mint CL360 just left my shop

Back to top Go down

Any other vintage Honda nuts out there? Empty Re: Any other vintage Honda nuts out there?

Post by Dragon Tue May 25, 2010 11:48 am

Aw, just tell her "A full garage is a happy garage." Very Happy
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 25, 2010 8:43 pm

soon to pick up an 82 honda cm 450

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Tue May 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Can't say I'm a nut but I do own a '88 vf750c magna.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 25, 2010 10:19 pm

A cl360 huh? My bud in birmingham built a badass cb360 cafe racer. I'll try to get a pic of it and throw it up here.
And Dragon. I think I got her! She's agreed to me getting this gl1000 without selling any of my other bikes!
There are also some folks building the cm450 into a cafe racer over at dotheton.com. What are your plans for the cm? Bobber? Resto? Cafe?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 26, 2010 3:10 am

offer fell through, squid sold it out from under me while on my way. the plan was to get the ol' lady some riding time under her belt, and my younger sister as well. ol' lady tired of riding on the back wants one of her own we're looking at a ninja 750, due to her sawed off stature its difficult to find a bike she can jump on. I was going to let them start off on it let them figure out if they want one, or that its not cracked out to what they think it is. After all that due to the condition of the bike resto was going to on the list very well taken care of, if they had dropped it though no problem I would have cafe'd it. just got a guy in the shop that I'm doing a quazi cafe 93 katana 750. more of a street fighter right now from previous owner, one of the home shade tree jesse james type so I have quite a mess with all the "custom" fibre glass work and the hack job on the rest of it

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Wed May 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Deviant1 wrote:
And Dragon. I think I got her! She's agreed to me getting this gl1000 without selling any of my other bikes!

Good job. Very Happy Now take her to dinner and perhaps some flowers.... Very Happy

Nickestes if you haven't already, have her try sitting on a Kawasaki Vulcan 500. Edera is also very short and it was comfortable for her. They have plenty of go power, it is the same motor as the ninja 500. Here's one around here, post is about 3 weeks old but they may still have it.

500 Vulcan

And a really cheap one in Milton. I had the money I would grab this one just for a spare loaner bike for visiting friends and/or a trainer bike for people. I often get asked to train people, lol.
Vulcan in Milton
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 26, 2010 4:25 pm

sorry that I hijacked the forum, only reason we were looking at that type of bike was the price, she wants a sport bike as well as the younger sister, we've been on the look out for a new 250 ninja just havent found a color they like, both were nice bikes but neither of these girls can pick that up. 5'5" and 110 she can barely get the ninja up

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Thu May 27, 2010 3:44 pm

More Honda deals...

Here
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Thu May 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Nickestas, what price are you lookin for? Here's a nice one for 3K, and the way I read it, he would likely take say, $2750 cash.

Ninja

Another one in a diff color, $2800.

Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 27, 2010 11:18 pm

thanks for the searches but I actually buy the $400 and $500 then fix them. couldnt stomach watching one of them drop a $3000 bike. dont mean to be all broke wallet, but my bike was $3000 the year after its production, thanks again for the searches any other leads are well appreciated. we are DIY'ers and shes not ready for that kind of investment yet, (and neither is my wallet)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Thu May 27, 2010 11:48 pm

A ninja for that price would be difficult, but I will keep an eye out. Very Happy

Any bike junkyards around? I used to get all my fixers from one of those.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 28, 2010 12:07 am

I am not privy to that info on the junk yard. and sorry, for clarification we do not expect a ninja for that price just looking for a starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Fri May 28, 2010 12:13 am

Ah, ok. Thought I had read somewhere you guys were looking specifically for a ninja, cuz it fit her well.

BTW, cheap, DIY, and broke are well in my vocabulary. Most of my bikes in the past 30 yrs or so were of that nature. Very Happy Yard sales, junkyards and friends who wrecked once too often and were gettin the hades off that critter, variety.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 28, 2010 12:51 am

yeah she likes them and they fit her well but we need to see if she even wants to ride before that investment. all mine are the same way I fix em all the time at my shop and I do my own flipping on the side when a customer feels that one is too much of a hassle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Fri May 28, 2010 12:58 am

Sweet deal, wish I had that kinda room, I would too. Very Happy

Found a list of salvage yards in AL., one is in Mobile. Might be a place to snoop around from time to time:
Cycle Salvage Yards
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Sweet! A bone yard in Mob-town. I've got to check that out... I'll just have to bring a trailer. Oh, and I'll need somehwere to store the stuff until I can break it to my wife.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 28, 2010 7:43 pm

I love old Honda I had a 86 magna and a 87 super magna both great. my buddy had a 05 dyna low and couldnt ever keep up until I let off or we got to 100mph. then he would start catchin up i dont like to go that fast he did. I also had a 86 kaw zl900 that was alot of fun. those were all left in maryland and my best friend still has my 94 V-max back home in AK.

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Fri May 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Hey Crafty. I have an 88 supermagna. Very fast and very fun.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 29, 2010 8:18 pm

had a magna riding with me today

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sat May 29, 2010 8:38 pm

Kewl. Not too many around anymore. There's a guy in Panama City Beach that has been emailing me to ride that owns a super.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 30, 2010 12:29 pm

There's a guy in my nieghborhood with a magna in his garage, one with a square headlight. It's missing all of the bodywork and probably doesn't run. It's been sitting for at least two years. If I ever have time and money at the same time, I'm planning on trying to talk him out of it!

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sun May 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Good luck. Most people know how hard they are to find.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 2002xlh Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:49 pm

i aint a honda nut deviant, im just a nut!!!!
2002xlh
2002xlh
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next