South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown!

+6
crispy
weirdbeard
Paladin
Phantom
Dragon
hayweed
10 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 4 Empty Re: Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown!

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Yeah. I dig the steampunk! A buddy of mine and Twisted's (CrescentSon) over at dotheton.com is building a steampunk cafe racer out of a cb750. He's calling it the filthy beast. Here's a pic of the taillight/rear cowl.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 4 Tests1
And here's a link to his project thread. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=8640.0

Back to top Go down

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 4 Empty Re: Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown!

Post by weirdbeard Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Looking really good. I liked the green! Rolling Eyes But the white almond is good too. It is really asking for some striping or something.. Maybe its just to clean right now.

You guys heading out tomorrow for Barber? Suspect
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Deviant, Dolores looks great brother and I love the almond! the drilled cover and triple tree look cool too man! You all have a fun trip and come home safe!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:27 pm

Yep, I like this one to. I think is the best color yet!

Last edited by tWistedWheelz on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Thanks guys! I'll also be doing some roll on bedliner in the knee and bar dents. And yes. Does anyone know a striper??? I didn't see one at Barber...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 pm

im jealous of the skilz Wink i want to get my 350 together after final

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:05 am

Well I'm taking Dolores down to the frame. She had an electrical breakdown the other day, and that gives me a good excuse to get everything fixed that has developed over the last couple of years. I'll be replacing all of the seals and gaskets on the motor, reringing the pistons, and rejetting the carbs for the new four-into-1 exhuast and pod intake. I'll also be rebuilding my seat and repainting the bike... again. I'll try to do some rearsets as well, but if I run out of time, I'll leave the controls stock. I'll mostly be doing cosmetic work on the outside of the motor, polishing, painting, etc. Hopefully I can come out with a final product that I can call done and move to the next project (airhead beemer!). Wish me luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Cool Brother Deviant1! Sorry to hear about the electrical breakdown but I can't wait for the pic's!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:49 am

Still getting the garage ready for the rebuild. Ran into an old friend the other day and he was telling me about his new welder. He's seen Dolores before and he asked me if I had any welding I wanted to do....
So I told him how I've been wanting to extend her swingarm and mount a rear hugger fender to the swinger. He was stoked and we started talking logistics. So add that onto the list of things being done this winter. I'm pretty stoked about this one. I might also add a steering damper if I can figure out a good spot to mount it. I'm also thinking of adding a fork brace to the fork lowers. I've got an idea to home-make that part. I'm about to start buying parts as well. Got a gasket set on watch and a stainless bolt set for the engine and carbies. Plus a jet kit. Plus a set of rings. I think that's everything that I've got to buy at this point. I've already got a set of oil seals for the engine and a set of tires. I've also decided to strip the paint off of my fork lowers and polish them. I'm getting very excited for this rebuild! This will be the last one for a long while on Dolores (hopefully).

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Brother Deviant1 that sounds like it is going to be nice! I love the extended swingarm too, I always thought our Hondas were a little short in the rear! Have fun with it and feed us some pic's when you get going!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks Brother Joey! I've got a pic of the parts that I've already assembled. It's the tires, my sweet bargain basement, last day of the swap meet at Barber's, $27.50 4 into 1 exhaust, and the pods that were on Dolores back in the day.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 4 100_3415
The tires are Dunlops that Twisted had bought for his now scrapped Eileen project. The front is a 19 and the rear is an 18 but the height of the tires is staggered to make them the same height. The width is also the same. I'm excited about these tires, I think they are going to be game changers. Thanks Brother Twisted! The exhaust is something I haven't been able to find any info about. The tag says Vortex Exhaust systems, but I haven't been able to find anything on it. There is a vortex exhuast but they don't make motorcycle exhausts that I can find. Anyway the header is different than other systems I've seen for the cb750. It's swept out to the side instead of going under the engine then turning out. The exhaust didn't have a baffle in it when I bought it, but I've found that Mac makes a baffle that will fit for about $30.
And here's a pic of Dolores that I just found today. It's from Barber. The bike in the foreground is Tim's xs650 from over at dotheton.com. That bike came all the way down from Toronto and it was a pleasure to ride beside!
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 4 100_3325

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Man those tires look nice and that header setup is tight!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieNNN Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Deviant that is going to look really nice.
ZombieNNN
ZombieNNN
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:45 am

Tim's bike was a pleasure to ride too! not just beside! I got the chance to take it for a spin and it was a hoot!

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:01 pm

I like the exhaust. I think its going to be sick when you get her done.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:14 am

First thing, I found another exhaust like mine! It's for sale for $200.00 and it says it's from the late eighties. Cool. Also says the system makes good power. Great.
Next thing, I just got a bonus at work! Like a big one! So I decided to put a little more than half of it into parts. Cool What I've decided to get with my money is: A dyna CDI and coils, some Dyna yellow plug wires, a steering damper and aluminum steering damper bracket, a set of progressive front springs for my forks (They're currently a little squishy!), a gasket set for my rebuild, the jets for my carbies, new piston rings, and a partrige in a pear tree. There are still a few small things on my wish list, but I'll get them as I need them. This rebuild is gonna be the tits. I can't wait to ride her after all of these mods. She's going to be way tighter and better tuned than ever. I'm thinking Dolores will ride like a completely different bike.
Now she won't be embarassed when I park her beside Caroline Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:27 am

I am so stoked man, you and I are building the bikes we have always wanted at the same time! This spring is going to be so much fun, if you can keep up with me in the twisties, and we stay away from the straight aways! hahahaha

Awesome brother, so happy for you and Dolores man!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:27 am

oh....and forget that baffle man....tune that thing for open megga!

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Brother Deviant that is sweet man! Congrats on your bonus! I bet you worked hard for it and I know Dolores is going to look awesome! I can not wait to see her rocking all her new threads man!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Yeah, She's got to be unbaffled I think. Loud and nasty! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Got a few new items. I've bought a steering damper off ebay for 20 bucks shipped. Here's a pic of it.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 4 Damper
It should get here next week. It's from an 05 gsxr600. I'm getting a bracket from Dime City Cycles to mount it to my front fork.
Here's something I should win on ebay..
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 4 Pods
It's an old set of 2 into 1 K&N pods for my bike. I've never seen these before, but I'm excited about them.
I've got several other things to get, but it's fun to start getting some neat stuff.

Last edited by Deviant1 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Coming together nicely. Very Happy
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:05 pm

I like the k&n filters. Never seen a 2 into 1 like those.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm at the family farm visiting my grandparents. I decided to go picking through some sheds and old houses that are on the property this morning. I found some neat stuff, an old chevy hood ornament (early fifties by my guess), an old cobbler's stand, some old cast iron stuff, old door handles, etc. But the reason I'm posting in here about this is that I found something that will end up on my bike (or at least the next cafe racer that I'll build). It's an old Wizard outboard motor cowl. My current seat is built from an old sears outboard motor cowl. The current seat is fiberglass. This motor cowl is ALUMINUM.
Very Happy
I like aluminum. It can polish up, it can be sandblasted for a matte finish, and it's light!
Here's the motor cowl.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 4 Motorcowl
I'll take it home today and clean it up. I'll also give it a look-over to make sure I can use it, but I'm excited about it!

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Sweet find.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next