South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown!

+6
crispy
weirdbeard
Paladin
Phantom
Dragon
hayweed
10 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 Empty Re: Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown!

Post by joeyputt Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:26 am

Brother Deviant1 that is a beautiful piece, I am jealous! I can already see it on Dolores! Going through old buildings like that and looking for treasures is one of my favorite things to do! I am excited for you!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 Empty Re: Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown!

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks Brotha Joey! So I sand blasted the cowl yesterday and taped off the line last night.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 Cowl
I also spotted a potential new piece to cut out of the cowl... Does anyone else see a bullet fairing in this pic???
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 Fairing
I've got some other stuff in the works. I've got to get my garage done so that I can start working!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:41 am

it's gonna look real good when it's done.very nice cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks sleeper. The aluminum cowl is out for now, It'll go on another project I'm eyeing. Instaed I'm going to build a new seat out of the old fiberglass cowl. I just ordered some more parts too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Any fun stuff come in yet? Come on man, you can't keep me waiting like this!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Just the damper at this point bro. Tomorrow should be a big delivery day though.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:20 pm

I am excited to see what you got too Brother!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:48 pm

I'll tyro to get some pics up this evening! I got my fork dust boots, the steering damper mount, the new twist throttle assembly (removing all of the controls on that side of the handlebars), and my jet kit from 6 sigma racing. Also got the damper in last week. I'll post up some pics tonight. Right now I'm going to get Dolores running really quick so that I can take a few last rides before the teardown.

Back to top Go down

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 Empty Project Dolores: My parts are in! And Dolores Rides Again!

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:10 pm

I've been getting some parts in and here they are:

Got my damper (ebay) and damper fork mount (Dime City Cycles)

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3423

The damper is a little shorter than I had anticipated so I'll have to figure out some creative mounting.

Also got my fork dust boots in (DCC)

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3422

I got my jet kit from 6 sigma racing. I'm excited to see how this performs.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3420

And I got my new throttle assembly from dime city. I'm going to be eliminating the controls on the right handlebar, so this will clean that side up nicely.

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3421

I found something really neat in my parts stash. I eliminated the tach on my bike, but didn't have anything to plug the hole with, so I left the cable in and bent it inside of the tank tunnel, then secured it with zip ties. Ugh. So I was looking at this Hondamatic head that I've got laying around and, Hello! A factory plug for just such a hole!

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3428

Also while I was picking through junk at the family farm I found an old taillight with a bullet lens. And it fits right in the hole for my taillight.

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3425

So I'll clean that up and figure out how I want it mounted. Just stuck in there like that, the bullet has an upward angle that I'm not sure if I like. I may end up frenching it in a little bit.

Also I wrapped up the addition to my house! Robbie's Room is done. Now I can move on to the garage and the bike. The room looks great and I'll be posting up pics of it somewhere here.

The biggest news of the day is that I fixed Dolores! I got her running and took her for a ride this afternoon. It was just a problem with the fuse block. A simple one. The fuse had come loose and the fuse lost contact, thus killing the electrical. So simple. I figured it out in about ten minutes. I felt kind of dumb for not getting the bike out and fixing it sooner.

Here she is after the ride:

Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3424

This will be one of her last rides before she gets torn apart one more time. I can't wait to get my hands dirty on her again.

Last edited by Deviant1 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to remove some redundancy)

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:27 pm

Nice parts Brother Deviant1! I am happy to hear you got her back running and that it was nothing major! I really dig that taillight!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:31 pm

looking good man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:52 pm

Kewwwwwwl. Very Happy
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 pm

I got my baffle for my 4into1 in the other day. I was so excited, then when I went to put it in the megaphone I realized that it was the same diameter as the end of my megaphone. So utilizing the help of some friends and their tools We cut about a half of an inch off the megaphone with a bandsaw. Then I riveted the baffle into the megaphone. The result looks like it could have came that way. I also had to remove the tag and rebend it to fit lower on the megaphone. Then I reriveted the tag to the megaphone. The bike sounded great.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3434
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3432
Now I was only putting the exhaust on because I blew a baffle out of my drag pipes and was unable to relocate it. The bike felt a good bit quicker and more even running, even without being tuned. Then about 20 miles after I installed the exhaust my rear tire blew. I knew it was close, but it still sucks. So I started tearing that sucker down. I have just gotten my garage ready.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3436
Got the 350 situated in the garage too.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3435
And my parts shelves seperated into 350 and 750. I still haven't organized the parts.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3438
Then the parts started coming off! The cowl was disassembled becuase I'm going to be remaking my seat out of fiberglass.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3447
I removed the carbs and cleaned the exteriors with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3446
I also ground the helmet holder tabs off of the rear hoop to make the seat cowl fit tighter and closer. I used a dremel tool with a cut off wheel.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3441
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3442
And did some more cleaning
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3440
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3439
And here's how she sits now. My next projects are installing the jets and adjusting the needles. And fiberglass. I'm about to kick this sucker into high gear. I want it done so I can tear into the 350.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Dolores looks sweet with her new exhaust Brother Deviant1! Keep up the awesome work man!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:20 pm

So I decided to cut up one of my spare oil filter covers today. I took a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to the fins. I've trimmed them down a good bit. I left the center fins but bow I'm thinking of cutting them down too then turning the filter sideways on the motor so that it'll look like a high dollar finned part.
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3449
Project Dolores: Got the exhuast mounted. Then blew a tire. Then began teardown! - Page 5 100_3450
What do ya think?

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Brother Deviant I Love the way you cut that filter cover down! It looks very trick and running it sideways would look killer! Awesome craftsmanship as always man!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:57 am

Yeah man, that looks awesome! I think trimming that last one and running it sideways would look trick! It would look like an aftermarket part for sure! Nice job brother!

Back to top Go down

Post by 2002xlh Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:18 pm

looks sick bro and i dont think by doing that it will affect your oil temp in any way.....great job....cant wait to get next to get next to delores now and hear her sing Twisted Evil
2002xlh
2002xlh
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 am

She'll be purring like a kitten on steroids Bro!
I finished the cover and I'll get pics up as soon as I can. I've also made a three dimensional cardboard model of my seat pan. I'll be laying fiberglass over it and attaching the cowl this weekend (I hope.). My wife had to go to Tennessee last week. Her mom is sick and we're just kind of taking it minute by minute. But meanwhile back at the ranch, I've got three kids to look after. So progress has been slow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5