South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cafe Racer Origins and History

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cafe Racer Origins and History Empty Cafe Racer Origins and History

Post by Guest Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:22 pm

The begining of cafe racers as a style of bike happened in England in the early 1960's. They were the bike of choice for the Rockers, which was a loosely organized group of motorcycle gangs. The Rockers favored brillo cream in their pompadors, Schott Perfecto (or any black leather) jackets, T-shirts and blue jeans. Their style then is what we now call rockabilly. Rockabilly music is also very closely associated with cafe racers. Another prominent cafe racer organization was the 59 Club. This was a club started by a preacher (Father Bill Shergold) at the Ace Cafe in London. The Ace was the last safe haven for the rockers as every other establishment had banned them. The club has been a very positive influence on the cafe racer movement and is still very active today. If anyone wants any info on joining, shoot me a PM and I'll get you the info. You mail them your dues and they mail you a patch and you get a newsletter. The Ace Cafe in London has become like the Cafe Racer Mecca.
"The Ton" is 100 miles per hour. Rockers were also known as "Ton-Up Boys" which meant that they liked travelling faster than one hundred miles per hour. "Doing The Ton" is taking your cafe racer to speeds above one hundred miles per hour. These are some of the common phrases used specifically within the cafe racer culture.
As far as what constitutes a cafe racer, the defintion is very subjective. They are mostly British, German, Italian, or Japanese bikes. The bikes themselves were built to emulate the race bikes of the time. A cafe racer is usually an older bike with low handlebars and a bum-stop style solo seat. Frequent upgrades include but are not limited to: Suspension upgrades, motor upgrades tire upgrades, modified stock gas tanks or polished aluminum gas tanks or fiberglass gas tanks. Beyond that it's really in the eye of the beholder. It's hard to say "This is a cafe and that is not." Usually if the guy who built it calls it a cafe racer, then it's his cafe racer. Also the cafe racer scene is built upon the sweat of average guys in their garages building their own bikes with their own hands. If anyone wants to know more about cafe racers I suggest they check out www.dotheton.com Anything you could want to know is over there. TwistedWheelz and I are long time members there.
Here are some pics of a few cafe racers just to give you an idea of the kind of bikes I'm talking about.
All of these bikes were built by members over at www.dotheton.com
Cafe Racer Origins and History IMG_0079

Cafe Racer Origins and History 007

Cafe Racer Origins and History Cafe-2

Cafe Racer Origins and History 4192948513_a811e1e6b7_o

Cafe Racer Origins and History Img1355y

Cafe Racer Origins and History Pic0003qh

Cafe Racer Origins and History Picture026

Cafe Racer Origins and History DSC_02174026

Back to top Go down

Cafe Racer Origins and History Empty Re: Cafe Racer Origins and History

Post by Dragon Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Give em their due....Harley and Vincent also had their versions..... Very Happy

The Black Shadow was released in 1948, yet capable of speeds of 125 MPH. Shocked

It wasn't until later that they were truly built as Cafes however when Fritz Egli became involved, but they certainly made their mark in that type of style.
This is a LINK, LOL....

Harley also made an appearance on the scene circa 1978 ( at least notably ) with models such as these:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Harley-Davidson_XLCR_1000_Cafe_Racer_1978.jpg

(And a personal note: my damned uncle has a frickin VINCENT sitting in his barn that he will NOT come up off of, even though it has sit there for decades, and has like 6 inches of pigeon CRAP on it, and I cannot get him to sell it to me.... AUGGGGHHHHH!!!!! )
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:13 pm

Vincent HRD was an England based motorcycle company with an eye towards making motorcycles go faster than ever before. And it was more of a drool inducing exotic bike to the Rockers. The Vincent Black Shadow was the world's fastest production bike for more than ten years after Vincent went under in 1955. During World War II due to the metal shortages they were making the motors using the melted down cases from Triumphs and BSA's. It would have been available to very few of the Rockers in the 60's due to its rarity and huge sticker price, although lots of Rockers who made it good probably have them now! And the Egli Vincent is THE exotic cafe racer! It came after the initial wave of cafe's was over in the early 70's. It's like the Farrah Fawcett poster was to adolescent boys in 1977.
Vincent Black Lightning:
Cafe Racer Origins and History Vincent_hrd_black_lightning
Vincent Comet:
Cafe Racer Origins and History Vincent-hrd_comet_1935
The legendary Vincent Black Shadow:
Cafe Racer Origins and History Vincent-hrd-blackshadow-1950
And an amazing Egli Vincent. The Ferrari Enzo of cafe racers.
Cafe Racer Origins and History Vincent_egli-vincent_1971
As far as the Harley XLCR goes, it's only failing was that it was a factory bike and as such wasn't considered a "real" cafe racer. Over time the bike has definately found its following. Looking at it now it was way ahead of it's time. And a step in a direction that I wish Harley would have embraced. They go for serious cheddar now too. And the pipes are probably my favorite factory Harley pipes ever.
Cafe Racer Origins and History Harley%20XLCR%2077.

Dragon, dude, your uncle has a Vincent?!?! Does he want a four-year-old boy, because I might consider trading my first born!
Get us some pics next time your over there. I'm a total Vincent whore!

Last edited by Deviant1 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to include some pictures.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:58 pm

Awesome post. And I would give a lot just to RIDE one of those boogers. Very Happy

Yes, Gods strike me stone cold dead, he has one rotting away in his barn. I want to just beat his head clean off, cuz I would damn sure make it something better than a rusting hulk. No kidding.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:09 am

Nice post Deviant, glad you put this here as many people are completely uninformed of this HUGE motorcycle movement.

Thanks man!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:45 am

Very Happy
I just LOVE motorcycles!

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:52 pm

that Vincent black lightning really gets my atention..
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:32 pm

Another of my favorite motorcycles of all time is the Brough Superior. Not really a cafe bike, but it's definately a predecessor to the performance bikes that became cafe racers. It was the bike of choice of Lawrence of Arabia, he owned a bunch throughout his life. It's just a classy machine. These cost more than a lot of houses.
Here's a 1931 Brough Superior SS 100. They were 998cc's.
Cafe Racer Origins and History Brough_superior_1931_photo_lg

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:02 pm

yes the Brough Superior, I saw watching the tube last night and they has a segment about it, Great bike. Well ahead of its time, the forward front axle was a an innovation to keep the bike stable at high speeds. Alot of techniology far ahead of itd time went into that bike.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Hey what show was that on camo? I'd love to try and DVR it if they replay it.

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:07 pm

I dont remember, I think it was on the history channel. Just a quick 10 minute segment, the rider actually got the bike to 90 MPH and let go of the bars to prove how stable it was. If I remember I will advise.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:07 pm

much thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:50 pm

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/video/greatest-ever-motorcycles-brough-superior/
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieNNN Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:26 am

Deviant, very good info. I really liked the fourth photo of the Honda, very nice. Good history lesson, thanks.
ZombieNNN
ZombieNNN
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:42 am

That one was built by a dotheton member with the handle Woody1981. It's one of my favorites. The picture before the last one of the white monoshock cb360 is Gretta, she was built by a buddy of mine and Twisted's in B'ham with the handle Kanticoy on dotheton. We're going to visit him for the Barber Vintage Motorsports Festival in October.

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:25 pm

I really like the look of the second bike down, the one with the girl on it. Very clean adn simple. I alos like the big black inline 4. Looks pretty nasty. Good nasty ya know.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:30 pm

I have been drooling over this since I first found it a couple yearws ago.

Cafe Racer Origins and History BMW

I am not a BMW guy as per day, but this bike is very nicely done.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Dude I love the old airheads. I'm just a fan of any weird engine. A boxer, or a transverse v-twin, or a triple... I've just always loved bikes with engines that are different.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:11 pm

I love odd ball engines also. I love exposed rocker arm air cooled motors, for bikes or even the real old inline 8's 12's 0r 16's

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:53 pm

I am not real big on those old traverse mounted v-twins, they just scream to have burnt legs riding them.
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:09 pm

Try the inline motor on the triumph rocket 3. Talk about gettin a hot leg.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:10 pm

In 1923 the american ACE motorcycle averaged 129 miles per hour and also averaged 48 miles to the gallon fuel economy (naturally not at the same time!) then they bolted on a sidecar and set the record at 106 mph! Just a little known fact on speed!

Last edited by joeyputt on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:00 pm

That black & red monoshock bike in the last photo is pure sexy...I can not stop looking at it! Makes we want to go back out to the shop and I just came in!!!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:13 am

*Update*

Edera and I went on a visit to see my grandmother in Illinois a couple weeks back. (She is 83 and still kickin it hard. Very Happy )

My uncle and aunt showed up for a little family dinner. Yes, he still has the Vincent. No, he still won't sell me the damned thing.....ARGHHHH!!!!

I almost drove over to his house to take a pic, but I didn't want to make the whole forum cry, it's pitiful how it was stored and has over six inches of pigeon s*it all over it....Sad
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:18 am

That is a sin dragon! Did you tell him there is a special corner of hell called the flaming sodomy corner reserved for people who do not care for their classics and will not allow some who would to have the chance. Those people condemned there not only burn for eternity, but they also get sodomised buy BIG demons with flaming barbed members. Tell him that and see if he won't reconsider!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next