South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When is it ok to run a red light?

+5
camo
01YZF6
Mrbadlands
hayweed
JSteele
9 posters

Go down

When is it ok to run a red light? Empty When is it ok to run a red light?

Post by JSteele Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:15 pm

I have not been able to find this answer. Do any of you know the rules on what we can do here in AL,MS,FL when we are at a red light that will not change?
JSteele
JSteele
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

When is it ok to run a red light? Empty Re: When is it ok to run a red light?

Post by hayweed Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 pm

In al it is illegal to run a red light. But most cops won't mess with you. I usually wait two cycles. If no green. I will go when clear. Not sure what states are ok but I know there are a few that have a law that allows it.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrbadlands Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:09 am

The story I have always heard was like 3 or 4 minutes or 2 light cycles like Hayweed said.

But then again I am no authority on the law.

Mrbadlands
Mrbadlands
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by 01YZF6 Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:07 pm

if possible, at a red light intersection, I will make the immediate right turn, then cross over and make another right turn, avoiding the light altogether

I would otherwise agree with everyone else. but I would have to be in an area where there is virtually no traffic.
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrbadlands Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Yep, If you know a cop is watching make sure you got all the explanations as to why you got tired of sitting at the non-functioning red light.

The cop may stop you, but he should understand if he is a reasonable person.
Mrbadlands
Mrbadlands
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:50 am

Its illegal, but we are forced to take metters in our own hands sometimes. kansas and Oklahoma are the only states that have passed laws allowing it under certain provisions.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by meliftman Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:29 pm

The dead red law is one of the items Dixie ABATE has on the agenda to work with Congress in Alabama to get a law passed to fix the issue. Either by writing a specific time for waiting or fixing the triggers to recognize motorcycles.
meliftman
meliftman

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:37 pm

Most lights in Loxley are dead reds... Evil or Very Mad
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by meliftman Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 pm

That's why a working law is a priority of ABATE, but we need more active members to impact Congress. They recognize numbers, low numbers, to them mean low interest.
meliftman
meliftman

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:25 am

Just my humble opinion...the dead red law is one of the silliest I have ever heard of. There are so few instances where this happens....and all u have to do is make a right followed by a U turn and a right...that it is not worth the effort to put in to law. U can try to get people riled about it...but after 10+ years in Rdale, AL...I cannot remember this ever being an issue. it is a straw man issue to get people excited and also to think Dixie ABATE is looking out for them. I was a diehard supporter of Dixie ABATE when they came on the scene...but realized they were just a motorcycle safety police wannabe.....hey...just my 2 cents worth or fraction thereof.
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

https://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/jamesr100/Bike%20Stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by meliftman Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:04 am

That's part of the issue. When it doesn't occur locally or in areas where one rides the most, it isn't an issue for the rider. It happens in other areas quite frequently, and in heavy traffic areas, it can be difficult to turn right and make a u-turn. By the way, if a cop sees you do this, he can cite you for avoiding a traffic light. You are right, it doesn't occur much here, but in the larger areas, Birmingham, Montgomery,Huntsville, it happens regularly.
By your last statement, am I to think, you don't believe motorcycle safety, and making the general public,, especially young cagers, aware we are out there is important?
By the way, this isn't the only issue on the calender, and with most things, we only see one issue as the agenda. Yes, ABATE is about motorcycle safety, and awareness. We want those who are in cages to look for us, look twice or three times so they don't put our lives in danger.
How would you look at a motorcycle only check point?
meliftman
meliftman

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:06 pm

By your last statement, am I to think, you don't believe motorcycle safety, and making the general public,, especially young cagers, aware we are out there is important?

Not sure I would consider that thinking at all. I am tired of the nanny state and all those nanny wannabe's. You should always know what you are doing before you do it. I am a strong believer in taking the MSF course. I taught it for 4+ years some time back. I feel it is my responsibility to ensure i know what i am doing on the road as it is every other person, young or old, to do the same. I do not rely on anyone else to teach me that and they should not rely on anyone else to teach them.

ABATE used to be a great organization and it still is in some states. Their main drive was to defend bikers rights against infringement. Things like check points, helmet laws, noise ordinances, etc.

Their slogans used to be "let those who ride decide" and one of my favorites "dedicated to the freedom of the road". For those groups it is all about freedom.

Those have given way to "Let's rise up and fight for dead red laws", and "How can we go along to get along with our state reps" and "we can out nanny any one else in the state bureaucracy" and "Don't disagree with our agenda cause we care more than you and know everything".

Sorry....I was a huge fan of Dixie ABATE when they first resurrected. When I got to see what was going on, I wanted no more part of it.

Long time rider...42+ years; 4-5 years as an MSF instructor; Long time past ABATE member from several different states.

It should be all about freedom!!

affraid

jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by meliftman Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:30 pm

I plan to be at the poker run at HD Cycles Saturday. Won't have a table set up or anything but I'll be there. I'll be the one with the black leather vest with the patches on it. I will be one of those with a vest on, mine has a back patch that says... The Nation who forgets its defenders is soon forgotten. Look me up and let's chat. I'd like to hear opinions about ABATE, good or bad, and figure out a future direction for the Southern Region, Mobile and Baldwin Counties especially that would create more interest, and meet the needs of the area. It hasn't been a perfect group, but it can be made better.
Thanks in advance...
meliftman
meliftman

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Cool!! Cmon out!
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by meliftman Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Guess I could have added, I'll be wearing an ALABAMA doo-rag which will help set me apart.
meliftman
meliftman

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:52 pm

I will be carrying a fully loaded beer koozie!
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by saltcreep Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 am

Ya'll probably already know this, but park on where the sensor is cut into the pavement , not in the middle (Unless you're the Deuce Coupe! Smile) It is an inductive loop, it detects the change in conductivity, and the closer something conductive (Your wheel rims) is to the sensor the better.

You park on the light colored area here, not in the middle.
When is it ok to run a red light? Signal_emptyloopdetector

I know you can't see them sometimes, but just thought I'd mention on the off-chance someone didn't know.
saltcreep
saltcreep
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by meliftman Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:36 pm

I have heard that before, sometimes still doesn't work. Like all the other tricks, you find those that nothing works for once in a while.

meliftman
meliftman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down