South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In need of a new battery.

5 posters

Go down

In need of a new battery.  Empty In need of a new battery.

Post by hayweed Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Doing a little work on the bike and realized my battery was dead. I have owned the bike for almost 4 years. Called a buddy at mobile bay and its $141 with tax. Thinking about going back with the factory battery because of the quality and length of life. Does anyone have any ideas on where to get a comparable battery that I won't have to replace in a year. Walmart is an option but they don't last.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

In need of a new battery.  Empty Re: In need of a new battery.

Post by Mrbadlands Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:46 am

Yes I got a recommendation. Get a battery from Dueitt's Battery Shop. The brand Name is Dekka, I believe. Dekka is the company that make the batteries for Harley. Dueitt's sells the Dekka for my roadking for really close to $109.00 when Mobile Bay wanted $150.00.

Dueitts is on Springhill between I-65 and Moffet Rd, but almost to Moffet.

Hope This Helps
Mrbadlands
Mrbadlands
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:10 am

I know exactly where it is. I'll give them a try.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JSteele Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:55 am

I 2nd the Dueitts reccomendation. I have purchased their batteries for my cars and boats and have always been pleased with what I bought.
JSteele
JSteele
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieNNN Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Battery Source in Mobile works good.
ZombieNNN
ZombieNNN
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrbadlands Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Does Battery Source sell the Dekka Brand Battery?
Mrbadlands
Mrbadlands
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Not looking for any particular brand. Just one the won't be bad next year. Found a gel cell from one of my distributors for $85. Thinking of getting it.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrbadlands Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:51 pm

I don't know for sure how true what I am about to say, but I have heard this from a couple different sources. You take it for what it is worth.

A harley has more vibrations than most any other motorcycle. In most batteries, the plates inside are sealed to the top side of the battery. In batteries made for a Harley the plates are sealed on both the top and bottom to combat all the vibrations causing the plates from coming loose.

Like I said I am not sure this is accurate, but I have purchased either the Harley branded or Dekka Battery for this reason.

If you find this to be not true, I would certainly love to know about it, because I would rather not pay those high prices.
Mrbadlands
Mrbadlands
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Well. Another member bought a battery from Walmart for his. Just happen to be the closest place when it died on a ride about 130 miles from home. He has had it for over a year with no problems. But I will check into what you said.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:01 pm

I went with an optima last go around. Don't know much about batteries, but it has already outlasted my last lead acid $60 cheapo.
jaded
jaded
Skid Mark

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrbadlands Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:53 am

It sounds like the Wal-mart battery will do the trick then. If a wal-mart brand will last that long, what I heard is probably not true.

I have heards lots of great things about the Optima, but from what I understand the prices of the Optima is going to be at, or more than, the Harley battery. I am thinking the time I looked into getting one from my Raodking it was cost prohibitive.
Mrbadlands
Mrbadlands
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:46 pm

I just hi-jacked this from another forum.

Just an FYI if anyone was curious. I spoke with East Penn MFG out of PA. Harley will be pissed at me, oh well. They confirmed that they indeed make the actual OEM Harley batteries. Tech support stated the Big Crank AGM ETX20L (310cca) and the AGM Deka ETX20L are identical to 65989-97B,C aside from a slightly recessed post mount vs the flush mount they make for Harley. They are also color coded and labeled differently, but indeed are the same and at 55 bucks cheaper adding tax through HD.

If you are like me, you want quality at the best price. Just thought I'd share. You can call East Penn Mfg to confirm my statements( 610-682-6361)

Same goes for the Bagger 66010-97A,B. Equiv would be the Big Crank ETX30L.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra...L-Battery.html

http://www.batteryservice.com/produc...lNumber=ETX20L

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra...L-Battery.html

Truth is East Penn Mfg makes batteries for most of the automobile/ motorcycle and powersports industry under many different labels but its the same quality and in most cases the exact same battery.

I did the research so you do not have to. Your

welcome.LOL
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrbadlands Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:45 pm

Does East Pen Mfg make both the "Big Crank" and the "Deka" batteries? I can atest to the slightly recessed mount. You look at the stock photos of the Big vrank, you'll see the 2 brass bushings that go on with the battery cables. I have been pleased with my Deka and at 87.00 it is cheaper than the price I got at Dueitt's. I believe the price at Dueitt's is 109.95.

Good find!
Mrbadlands
Mrbadlands
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:20 pm

Found this today. I bought the battery from Carquest and then did a little research.

Carquest was founded by three individuals Temple Sloan, Joe Hughes, and Dan Bock. The three gentlemen joined their auto parts stores in 1974 to better compete in the auto parts industry. Carquest took great pride in supplying customers with quality parts. Carquest has over 3400 auto parts stores in North America, and is considered a auto parts retail giant with sells in excess of 1.7 billion today.

Carquest teamed up with East Penn Manufacturing Company to make the Auto parts retail giants batteries. East Penn Manufacturing is based in Lyon Station Pennsylvania, and is one of North Americas largest battery manufacturers. East Penn is well known for their quality built Deka brand battery line. East Penn manufacturing is no stranger to building quality batteries for consumers. They have been building quality batteries sense World War 2. East Penn has allowed Carquest to be able to carry a diverse line of batteries for every application. Carquest is able to carry batteries for the following applications: Auto, ATV, Commercial, Farm, Golf Cart, Industrial, Lawn & Garden, and Marine. As a result Carquest has become a one stop shop for consumers battery needs.

Carquest however was not well known for their battery warranties. Twelve month free replacement seemed to be standard on carquest batteries. Due to the competition offering better free replacement warranties than Carquest, they would have to change their warranties to stay competitive. In April 2009 Carquest rolled out their new warranty plans on their batteries. Caquest now offers 24 month free replacement, and on their advanced generation batteries they offer 36 month free replacement. Carquest batteries pro rate warranties range anywhere from 12 months to 84 months as well.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down