South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Group turns tables on Chicago gun turn in

5 posters

Go down

Group turns tables on Chicago gun turn in Empty Group turns tables on Chicago gun turn in

Post by jughead Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:58 pm

I love this. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.suntimes.com/13484760-761/group-turns-tables-on-chicago-gun-turn-in-uses-money-for-gun-camp.html

A Downstate pro-gun group says it turned payouts from Chicago’s firearm buyback program last weekend into a fund-raiser for a youth summer camp — a National Rifle Association shooting camp, that is.

The city collected 5,500 guns last Saturday in the annual buyback. The city gave out $100 MasterCard gift cards for each gun and $10 cards for BB guns and replicas.

Sixty of the guns and several BB guns were turned in by the Champaign-based Guns Save Life. In return, the group received $6,240 in gift cards, said John Boch, president of the group.

Guns Save Life is known for the pro-gun signs the group posts along Interstate 57 between Chicago and Champaign. It also publishes a monthly gun journal.

Most of the money will go toward buying ammunition for an NRA youth camp in Bloomington. The rest will pay for four bolt-action rifles that will be given away to campers.

“This was rusty, non-firing junk that we turned in,” Boch said. “We are redirecting funds from people who would work against the private ownership of firearms to help introduce the next generation to shooting safely and responsibly.”

Despite the no-questions-asked policy of the buyback, police officials asked Guns Save Life members where they got their guns, Boch said. Still, the police officials allowed them to turn in their guns, he said.

Todd Vandermyde, the NRA’s chief lobbyist in Illinois, said Guns Save Life turned the tables on Chicago.

“I think it’s a very good example of the resourcefulness of the pro-gun side to take the initiative to turn something used by anti-gunners into a positive,” he said.

Vandermyde said he’s heard that gun-shop owners also have used the annual gun turn-in for profit.

Vandermyde said he was told one suburban gun dealer imported junk rifles for less than $50 each and received $100 gift cards for each of them.

“It’s comical,” he said.

But the city doesn’t think so.

“We host the gun turn-in event on an annual basis to encourage residents to turn in their guns so we can take guns off the street and it’s unfortunate that this group is abusing a program intended to increase the safety of our communities,” said Melissa Stratton, a police spokeswoman.

Boch said he doesn’t think the crooks who have pushed the number of Chicago’s homicides to 38 percent over last year’s total are the ones handing over their weapons.

“If you were a criminal, you would be a fool to go there with the police presence,” he said. “What criminal would turn in the tool he uses to do his trade for a $100 card?”
jughead
jughead
tag along

Back to top Go down

Group turns tables on Chicago gun turn in Empty Re: Group turns tables on Chicago gun turn in

Post by 01YZF6 Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 am

Good for them for maintaining a respectable and professional attitude towards responsible gun ownership!

and to use the funds to coach and encourage new and potential gun owners responsibly? heck ya !
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Group turns tables on Chicago gun turn in Empty Re: Group turns tables on Chicago gun turn in

Post by hayweed Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:26 am

Sweet. Never thought of that. cheers Glad someone did.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by intruderrider Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:15 am

We host the gun turn-in event on an annual basis to encourage residents to turn in their guns so we can take guns off the street and it’s unfortunate that this group is abusing a program intended to increase the safety of our communities,” said Melissa Stratton, a police spokeswoman

This group is a terrorist group and should be forced to disband.
We cannot have kids learning to handle weapons and protect themselves affraid what is this world coming to.
I wish I would have thought of that I do have a couple of non working guns here and would take cash for them I might get enough to buy a new working one. Twisted Evil
intruderrider
intruderrider
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrbadlands Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:01 pm

This "group" was following the gestapo rules. They brought in weapons and traded them in and got the money that was offered to them. This "group" promotes LAWFUL ownership of weapon and assists to protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

I would rather my kids and/or my grandkids realize what a weapon is capable of and know not to touch it should they happen upon it. Most kids without proper knowledge will think a found weapon is a toy. The NRA teaches them that this found weapon is not a toy but a dangerous item.

I wonder what cheap weapons these gunshops were buying for less than $50.00? Should I come upon a buy back program giving me $100.00 for them, I would like to invest in a few of them.
Mrbadlands
Mrbadlands
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by jughead Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Mrbadlands wrote:

I wonder what cheap weapons these gunshops were buying for less than $50.00? Should I come upon a buy back program giving me $100.00 for them, I would like to invest in a few of them.

I agree 100%.
jughead
jughead
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down