South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mountains?

+8
jmunsey
Scadoodle
beachbum_
Flash750
72shovelhead
JSteele
HDCuteT
TheOldGuy
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mountains? Empty Mountains?

Post by TheOldGuy Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:01 am

Anybody feel the call of the Blueridge this summer? Two-three days in the moutains, plus the commute?
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Mountains? Empty Re: Mountains?

Post by HDCuteT Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:36 am

Hayweed and I along with a group of friends already have a trip planned to Blueridge, GA the end of September. We'll be riding thru GA, TN and NC. We try to plan a getaway to the mountains somewhere at least once a year. A great ride thru the mountains is always good for the soul!
HDCuteT
HDCuteT
Skid Mark

Back to top Go down

Post by JSteele Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:39 am

I do. What did you have in mind?
JSteele
JSteele
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Mountains? Empty AHA!

Post by TheOldGuy Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:24 am

There is interest! HDCutie, thanks for the response, and if that's an invitation, thanks even more! I had earlier in mind, but who says there's a limit of one a year?

J, nothng in mind yet but the yen. Ride up, ride around for a couple or three days, ride back. Was thinking of escaping sea level heat with altitude. Any ideas youself?

Bernard
aka theoldguy
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by JSteele Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:32 am

Let me think about it. What little vacation I have now I need to save for August to go visit my sister in S. Florida. I can probably do a Thur-Sun trip. Might be able to get Tully intrested also. Of course I don't mind you going ahead or coming back later than I do. Right now the weekend of June 29th and July 20th is the only dates I'm unavailable. Also, I dont mind waiting until September.
JSteele
JSteele
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:34 pm

You got to watch those cage's sighseeing up there..my ex navy buddy just got out of surgey this morning from rear ending one yesterday in GA mountains.plates and screws in ankle/foot and going back in a week for more surgey later..
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Uh huh. I watch 'em everywhere. Guy who sold me my first motorcycle said "Ride like everthing out there that's bigger than you are -- and that's everything -- is being piloted by a homocidal maniac out to get you." Of course some homocidal maniacs are more stupid than others.
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash750 Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:09 pm

The wife and I try to go every spring and are sometimes lucky enough to go in the Fall as well. As I started a new job last year, we haven't been able to go since the spring of last year. We're jonesin' to go! Kinda figured at this point we'd wait til cooler weather (the fall) but I'm not sure I can wait that long..lol

I see you're in P'cola. I retired from the Navy there last year. when I was there I rode with the SCRC club there. Those guys rode A LOT! Took several trips with them. A Great bunch of folks! I miss them dearly! you should look them up!

Steve

Flash750

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:54 pm

I ran into a Southern Cruisers (same group?) once during a ride with a couple other bikes, tried to make nice, and every one of them physically turned their backs on me and walked off. Maybe because I didn't have any tats, chains, or obscene patches. However, pleases me to hear of anybody's good experiences.

No set target date yet. What would work for you?

TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash750 Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Southern Cruisers is right, but your diescription is definately not the group I rode with. I think there was only one guy in the whole group that even had a tat. Most of them are retirees, some military, and even some active pensacola police dept.

Regardless, let me talk to the misses and see if we can't come up with a couple of dates that would work for us. Worse case, we might take a 3-day up to Little River Canyon (just outside of Fort Payne, AL. That's an easy 3-day trip with time to stop by Barber's on the way.

Flash750

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Have ridden the canyon with a local as a guide -- intense, and beautiful. Do y'all know about the carrot cake at the little cafe up in Mentone? Worth the trip all by itself, and I'm not particularly a carrot cake fan.

I want to do 19 from Dahlonega north. Did it in a cage pulling Fat Lady back form The Dragon. Sections are like The Dragon but with wider, more sweeping 180s. But I'm easy -- anywhere in the mountains where te roads are fun and the air is cooler.

TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by beachbum_ Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:39 am

did a trip a couple years ago starting in dahlonega first day left heading west north west out past the old TWO went up wolf pen gap then east and back down thru helen to dahlonega. next day went to robbinsville and up the cherahola skyway and down the dragon to robbinsville, next day went up the dragon and over to gatlinburg and down to cherokee messed around on the pkwy and stayed the night in cherokee. then did the loop from cherokee back around to the dragon gatlinburg to cherokee. next day did the reverse but headed thru helen and back to atlanta for the night and home the next day. It was the best trip of my life. ran the whole time solo(except two days hooked up with eight dudes from ontario who all road there bikes down five of which had victorys and they came to ride not play) stopped an stayed when and where i wanted and just went wherever i felt like going even got lost a couple times in north ga. but was one helluva eight day trip. Maybe when a date time frame is set i will be able to join in and either ride

beachbum_
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by beachbum_ Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:43 am

the whole trip or take my toy hauler and set it up in a central place for a meeting up point for everyone that has to do separate start and finish dates

beach_

some really nice places in the dragon/helen/dahlonega loop area

beachbum_
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:03 am

I enjoyed my stay at Hot Springs, Road the "Rattler". Anywhere in the mountains is good. I came back thru Tenn and Ga via Mountain range. I've got another road trip to Ohio again. I need to save my days for it. But then again you never know. Lots of good camping and cottages up there
Scadoodle
Scadoodle
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:56 am

After stirring this up, family finances have suffered an unforseen heavy hit. Won't bow out yet, though it's doubtful I'll be able to go anywhere this year. I'll try for it anyway, but . . . .
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:02 pm

I know that feeling, hope all ends well
Scadoodle
Scadoodle
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:11 pm

TY . . . marine diesel failure. Somewhere between $2,000 and $15,000, depending.
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:28 pm

In the early stages of planning a short trip up near Kingsport, TN and Bristol, VA. Found a neat flyer for a route they call the gauntlet and a place called copper----something that rents cabins with a motorcycle garage. This will probably be the last week of July.
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

https://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/jamesr100/Bike%20Stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by jughead Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:08 pm

jmunsey wrote:In the early stages of planning a short trip up near Kingsport, TN and Bristol, VA. Found a neat flyer for a route they call the gauntlet and a place called copper----something that rents cabins with a motorcycle garage. This will probably be the last week of July.

Just got back from that area last week. Stayed at the KOA in Kingsport.

Do you know about these roads around Johnson City http://www.johnsoncitytnchamber.com/visit/motorcycle-tours/rides.html From Helen Ga it was great riding all the way up. Weather was in the mid 70's with sunshine.
jughead
jughead
tag along

Back to top Go down

Mountains? Empty Back in the hunt?

Post by TheOldGuy Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Might be back in the hunt. My financial disaster is only the turbo, not the entire $15,000 engine. I've never been so glad to have to spend an unplanned $1,200 in all my life.

So -- who has what dates in mind?

TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Glad it was something easy. Not so cheap but better than a new engine.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 pm

Muuuuuuuch better . . . . and ty
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:44 am

Jmunsey, could that be Copper Ridge, a close connect between I think 221 and the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Where is The Gauntlet?

Has anyone ever ridden 421 from Bristol, TN (same as North Bristol, VA) southeast down to 321 at Sugar Mill, which is a few miles west of Boone? Now, that's intense. My introduction to mountain riding. I did it on a V-Strom. Not sure I want to take Fat Lady there, and for sure not with a passanger.
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by river rat Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:49 am

What kind of boat do you have Oldguy . Just curious , I've owned shrimp boats .
river rat
river rat
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:54 am

R Rat -- trawler; old Mainship 34 I. Want one?
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next