South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

got a new one for you guys

2 posters

Go down

got a new one for you guys Empty got a new one for you guys

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:44 pm

so i am about to paint my buell and was woundering if anybody on here has experience paiting plastic.can you tell me if they make a good plastic adhereing primer.

Back to top Go down

got a new one for you guys Empty Re: got a new one for you guys

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:19 pm

Well esentially what you are really doing is painting paint, unless you took it all the way back down to stock material. To do that it is essential that you do a really good sanding job before applying your primer coat. sand out any deep knicks or blemishes. Pick a good quality primer and spray away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:31 am

Use an etching primer too - it will help fill in small scratches that you wont see until you start spraying the paint. Wink

take your time and avoid extreme temp changes and be sure to let it cure before you try to reinstall.

take before and after pics!

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:39 am

So that is what "self-etching" primer is for? I couldn't decide on what type to buy. I got the "filler" type
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by 01YZF6 Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:14 am

I am no expert, hell, I am not even a novice at this stuff....

but from all that I have read, prep is the KEY!

unless it's pre-sanded (never seen one that was) you need to sand it. you don't need to use more primer unless the surface is scratched or damaged (primer is a filler).

if the surface is perfect, you can simply use a scotch pad to scuff up the surface, or you can use the more conventional method of wet sand using 600 grit. being an undertail, you won't have to stress minor imperfections Smile

you may use a sealer if you want; it can help reduce the amount of basecoat you need in order to get an even color. most sealers do not require sanding prior to applying the color if done within the recommended flash time, however if you have dust specs or inperfections, you will want to lightly wet sand to even it out (600grit or finer).

apply the color, using enough coats that the color is even, waiting the recommended time between coats (depends on type of paint, temp, and humidity).

if all is good, you can apply the clearcoat, or if there are some imperfections, we sand before applying the clearcoat (you will have to give more time for the paint to cure).

between all steps, use compressed air to blow it dry and remove any dirt, then go over it (lighty; don't apply pressure as even if the paint seems dry to the touch, the paint underneath may still be wet and using pressure will cause imperfections) with a tack cloth.

make sure you don't paint in cold temps, and make sure the paint is room temp - this will reduce the amount of problems you run into.

a note on sandpaper grit: 600 grit if fine when wet sanding prior to applying topcoats (when using enamel and clearcoat I use 400 grit). if you're afraid of cutting through the topcoat, higher grits will take longer but may give you a bit more leeway. wet sanding with 1000 grit and higher is primarily for smoothing out imperfections in the paint (dust specs or "orange peel") prior to buffing - 1000 grit for machine buffing; finer grit for hand buffing.
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by 01YZF6 Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:20 am

http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52942&hilit=fix+repaint
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down