South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Local Cafe Guys New to the Forums

+2
Miss G
Sasha_Kalashnikov
6 posters

Go down

2 Local Cafe Guys New to the Forums Empty 2 Local Cafe Guys New to the Forums

Post by Sasha_Kalashnikov Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Howdy. My friend and I are building cafe racers out of his '81 CB900 and my '13 883 Sportster. We also have a friend in Nola with a '79 cafe CB750. Just wondering if there are any ton-up boys around Mobile that might wanna chill/tinker/ride/drink/whatever.

Also, do we have a local ton-up club or anything similar?
Sasha_Kalashnikov
Sasha_Kalashnikov

Back to top Go down

2 Local Cafe Guys New to the Forums Empty Re: 2 Local Cafe Guys New to the Forums

Post by Miss G Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Howdy again....love the signature thingy... lol!
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

2 Local Cafe Guys New to the Forums Empty Re: 2 Local Cafe Guys New to the Forums

Post by jmunsey Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:18 pm

What is a
Also, do we have a local ton-up club or anything similar?
??

Ton-up??
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

https://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/jamesr100/Bike%20Stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasha_Kalashnikov Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 am

Hahaha, sorry for the confusion amigo. "Ton-up" is working class British slang for getting up to 100mph (a "ton"). The term is exclusively associated with cafe racers. Cafe racer clubs are often known as "Ton-up clubs". Check out these links:

en . wikipedia . org/wiki/Rocker_(subculture)
www . tonup . com/
Sasha_Kalashnikov
Sasha_Kalashnikov

Back to top Go down

Post by JSteele Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 am

Sasha_Kalashnikov wrote: Just wondering if there are any ton-up boys around Mobile that might wanna chill/tinker/ride/drink/whatever.

I don't think I can or want to make my Road King into a Cafe Racer but I'm game for the rest for the rest.
JSteele
JSteele
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 pm

welcome to the group..I have only had my bike up to around 90mph and still had throttle and pulling and getting damed squirrley. But not a cafe racer, use to own a KZ900 years ago and really had a blast with it never get it up to top speed only hit 120+ a few times but back then I was Navy ,young and indestructable. Or so I thought...
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtFreak Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 am

I know what you meant. The only club around here that I heard of is a 200mph club. Of course they ride hyabusa or however you spell that. Basically it's a club of idiots on rice rockets.
DirtFreak
DirtFreak
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasha_Kalashnikov Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Of course, I'm looking for other folks with cafe bikes but I'm down to ride or whatever with anyone! I work 8-5/M-F but any other time will do. Does this group do regular ride, meet, or swap events? If so, when is the next one scheduled?

DirtFreak - yeah... 200MPH on a crotch rocket is cool and all (I guess).. but in my opinion, vintage/cafe bikes are so much cooler for too many reasons to list. Again, that's just my opinion.
Sasha_Kalashnikov
Sasha_Kalashnikov

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down