South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who makes the best bike?

+8
Edera
Dragon
joeyputt
Phantom
HenryD
beachbum_
jughead
hayweed
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who makes the best bike? Empty Who makes the best bike?

Post by hayweed Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:25 pm

In your opinion. Who makes the best bike. Whether it's street, dirt or whatever. And why do you think it is the BEST?
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Who makes the best bike? Empty Re: Who makes the best bike?

Post by hayweed Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:57 pm

Come on peeps.. Lets hear it. No one is going to bash you over it. Just looking for opinions.I personally think Honda has the best. I have ridden a lot of bikes over the years and Honda is the only one that I never had a problem with. Cool
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jughead Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:14 pm

My list is as follows

Harley Davidson. For the automatic number of friends that come with your purchase.

Indian. Best Style.

Honda. Best touring bike. Nothing else even comes close.

Victory. Have not been around long enough for me to make a best bike opinion.

Suzuki. Crotch Rocket.

Kawasaki Concourse. Sport Tourer

My opinion is that Yamaha has everything I want in the bike I want right now. Which is why I own a Raider.
Money is NOT an issue with my decision, but I also do not see spending extra for a name. ANY NAME.

So I guess my answer is.... Whoever makes the best bike is the one we each choose to ride.
Very Happy

Last edited by jughead on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
jughead
jughead
tag along

Back to top Go down

Who makes the best bike? Empty best bike

Post by beachbum_ Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Hmm well to me the best is the one toting my big ass down the road without leaving me stranded Smile
At this time the best for me has to be victory. Reason number one is its the brand i own. Reason two it is American made and that means something to me. Allthough some times I'm not sure why. Hmmm well I am sure why cause I love it. All brands have problems etc. and none of them are perfect but I love my Victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

opinion of a bum_

beachbum_
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by HenryD Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:09 pm

Having never owned anything but Yamaha's and Honda's.......I don't know enough to compare. So far( Knock on wood) both have been great bikes. This includes the ones we own now and my days back in High School when I had a Yami 250 and a Honda-Matic 400. (I was Bikeless for 23 years in between.)

Not bashing or calling either superior, just what I have had.
HenryD
HenryD
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantom Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Have 2 HD's in the shed, so I'll say HD. If I had a Vic, I'd say Vic. If I had a Yami, I'd say Yami. I bought exactly what I wanted and then changed it all up to be the best to me. I will say I really would like to have one of those Vic cross country bikes in the stable.
Phantom
Phantom
Admin

http://www.samcsociety.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:30 pm

Brother Hayweed we are talking about what we feel is the best brand and quality, correct? I am sure everyone already knows what my opinion is...Honda hands down and not even a question in my mind. Don't get me wrong here I am a motorcycle enthusiast and love all brands of motorcycles, each for their own reasons, but when it comes down to it as someone who has owned nearly every make of motorcycle over the years and as I am priviledged enough to work on them daily it has always been Honda for me speaking in terms of overall quality. Of course the term "best" can mean a lot of different things and I am basing my opinion in terms of quality of parts and design, reliabilty, etc. As someone who polishes daily you would not even believe the difference in quality in just the castings alone. 1970's Honda engine castings far exceed those of todays...well...$30,000 bikes and that is just castings alone without even going into design, and I am saying these engine castings are not even comparable. I could write a whole book here on this issue, and this is just my opinion and is only based on quality and design.

Brother Jughead I have to say I did some Raider rims a while back (the ones in my signature below actually) and I was really impressed with that motorcycle!

Brother Beachbum I love American too and that really means a lot to me too and I take great pride in products made here at home, but I can not even tell you the last time I got a factory OEM replacement part that was labeled "Made In The USA", percentage wise by parts on the bike I do not know what the actual numbers would be but sadly it is more like "Assembled In The USA" these days. I may be wrong but I believe the last article I read said that the Honda Goldwing was actually the bike that was the most "Made In The Usa" but do not hold me to that, I guess we all need to research that issue and see what we can find as now I am curious if that is correct?

Brother Phantom that is the perfect example, you go out and buy what you want and make it your own!

I will have to firmly agree as I love all motorcycles that as individuals the bike that meets our own needs and style is the "best" bike out there and that is one of the reasons I love this forum, there are a lot of great different brands here and everyone gets along....I want one of each of your bikes in my garage actually!

Now Brother Hayweed please do not ask me for my favorite individual motorcycle or there really will be a book here!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:32 pm

I did not realize how much I wrote until I just looked at that...sorry!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by jughead Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:35 pm

I forgot to add this one....

I do not know anything about dirt bikes anymore, but in the mid to late 70's there was a dirt bike from a company named Hodaka. I think it would grab traction in the air. Best dirt bike I ever owned.
jughead
jughead
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:10 am

For 4 wheelers the Honda fourtrax trx300's (the ones with racks 1988-2002) are super reliable...almost everyone here has them and they all ride and work them very hard!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:25 am

To me the best ride is what you do to it after you buy it. To make it your own and this because I have found NONE that perfectly suit me, whether it's performance, long haul or a case of my azz gets numb after 50 miles, time for a new seat or even I dont like the reach, get new bars kinds of things.

With technology today, most will be "trouble free" in the major mechanical department, barring stupidity. You don't take a stock Harley down to the dragstrip, or take a GSXR off roading.

But barring all that, the rides I have come to PREFER in my riding experiences are:

Cruiser: Harley.

Offroad: Kawasaki.

Adrenaline fix: Honda, particularly the old 750 fours. They may not be the fastest rocket in the shed but they will pin your ears back.

Touring: I have little experience with those and that little limited to a couple rides on an electra glide. And that bitch was smoooooth.

And no offense to Yamaha, but I you couldn't give me one. I have owned three, two road bikes and one dual sport. They gave me nothing but trouble from day one. Yamaha just does not like me. Only explanation I can give because I know several who love them and ride the s*it out of them daily.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:57 am

i agree with all the responses above, if properly cared for i think the bikes that are currently for sale on the sales floor right NOW are the best made.
the technology has come so far and most of it good. it's just a matter of opinion who is the best.
in these economic times the best bike is the one that is PAID FOR . LOL LOL

Last edited by BIGGERJIM on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Edera Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:18 am

I'm in love with my PAG about says it all.

Granted it's not one of the BIG BOYS, but it gets me where I want to go. It looked fabulous even before it went back to rolling chaise I've owned a Kaw. 500 that was a nice little bike and I love my HD Soft-tail Classic.

The best bike it the one that gives you the most pleasu.re on the road AND in the garage (Like you don't have to wrench on it much)
Edera
Edera
Bent Wheel

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:59 am

Well for me, Brother Joey summed it up in his novel Laughing

I am a real fan of Honda for quality, but in my opinion of "best", well like many of you that depends on the style of bike and the use of the bike. So here is a small list.

Speed: Suzuki

Dual Sport: BMW

Dirt: KTM....hands down and no other brand even comes close!

Touring: Honda....you just can't beat a goldwing, but I am not a fan of those large bikes

track bike/sport bike: Honda

Becoming part of a large family who loves bikes and biking: HD....there is simply no larger group of bikers out there that are so tight niched....they truely love HD's and almost any other person who loves HD's. Owning and riding an HD is a true lifestyle...even though there is a very wide range of people and personalities that own them, that common bond is very strong.

Both of my brothers are HD guys, and they ride all over with other HD guys/gals. They used to give me s*it about not riding an HD (still do from time to time) but they have found a respect for my choice since they see me build my own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm strictly Honda! I'll own other brands... but the quality of a Honda motorcycle is the best for my money. I owned a 73 yamaha tx500, and was able to compare each and every part of the bike to honda parts of the period. The Honda parts were all better engineered and thought out. From the fenders to the taillight to the engine covers. I also had a suzuki katana 750, and again I was let down by the build quality and the parts, they just felt "cheaper" than the parts on twisted's cbr600 that occupied my garage at the same time. Combine that with the legendary reliability plus the fact that they manufacture EVERY kind of bike/quad you could want, and cars, and lawnmowers and generators... you get the drift. They don't just do one thing well... they do everything well.

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks for all the input. I guess what I should have asked was who makes the best built bike from the factory. If a visitor was to read this thread they would have an idea of everyone else's input. We have some very good opinions from all the members on here. Thanks again.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Honda hands down, I have ownd several Harley's and all have had issues. Owned a 79 Honda that I put 129000 miles own and never touched anything on it. Owned a Goldwing and wish I still had it, maybe 1 day my wife will let me get another, best bike I have ever owned.

Back to top Go down

Post by jughead Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:49 pm

O.K. guys and gals. I know this is an old thread, but we have new members since the last post here and I would like to hear some other thoughts on the subject.
jughead
jughead
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:12 am

Well like a number of folks in this thread, I ain't never owned anything but a Honda It all started with a CB-65an then a CB-70 next was a 350 then 550 next a 750 Nighthawk, after tat nutin but Wings of Gold started with a 83 GL-1100, next bought a new GL-1200 Interstate, Next came 1200 Aspencade, then 1500 SE and next two 1800's. I'll never buy a new wing too many fools think motorcycle touring is easy will buy one and then find out how hard it is and then sell that wing with only a few thousand miles on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack the Bagger Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:36 pm

I have had nothing but Harleys for the past forty years as my main rider ..

And no I dont have a bunch of instant friends because I own one .. I am not a "joiner" type , so HOG or any other "association" or "club" isnt my thing .. I have a very small group of close riding buddies .. One actually besides me , the others have either passed away or gave up riding when they retired ..

Others I would like for the road : Ducati or Ariel Square Four

toys that I enjoyed : Maico K501 Husky 400 Bultaco 360
Jack the Bagger
Jack the Bagger
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:14 pm

Well, I really have no basis for comparison. My Yamaha is (for all intents and purposes) my first bike. So I can see a good and a bad side to them. But I love my air-cooled bike. Razz
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by jughead Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:56 pm

BaggerDriver wrote:
And no I dont have a bunch of instant friends because I own one .. I am not a "joiner" type , so HOG or any other "association" or "club" isnt my thing ..

Sorry, that was not how I intended that to sound. I was trying to say that with a Harley you are able to stop pretty much anywhere there are bikes and not get the ribbing most of us rice burners get. Whether you join in the Harley group (not HOG but most everyone that owns one) or not is up to you, but you know it is there if you choose.

I do hope my original post did not offend anyone. I was actually trying to say the instant friends thing in a good way.
jughead
jughead
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Brother Jughead I totally understood what you meant and I agree with you.
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:34 pm

joeyputt wrote:Brother Jughead I totally understood what you meant and I agree with you.

Ditto for me. It's all good.
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack the Bagger Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:55 pm

yeah I know exactly where you are coming from jug and nah I too bullhedded to be offended ..

You are only offended if you allow something to offend you ..

So no you didnt offend me , but I know what you are saying
Jack the Bagger
Jack the Bagger
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next