South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

October 2010 BOTM

+6
Paladin
Dragon
joeyputt
crispy
hayweed
Phantom
10 posters

Go down

October 2010 BOTM Empty October 2010 BOTM

Post by Phantom Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 am

Congrats to Dragon and Bella Morte'

Dragon - Please post up some details on the bike, some things you have done and whatever other details you may have....
Phantom
Phantom
Admin

http://www.samcsociety.com

Back to top Go down

October 2010 BOTM Empty Re: October 2010 BOTM

Post by hayweed Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:57 am

Congrats. Glad you finally made the BOM.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by crispy Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:31 am

congrats dragon thats the best bike for october
crispy
crispy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:03 am

Grats!!

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Congratulations Dragon and Bella Morte on a well deserved bike of the month win! The websites new header with Bella Morte looks great too!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:16 am

Thanks everyone. Smile Means very much. Smile

Well as to aftermarket stuff done to this bike, there is actually a lot. I bought this bike stone stock, save for the paint scheme. Which is a numbered limited edition from Harley themselves, Number 16 out of 50 made.

So far three dealerships have done searches, trying to find the set to put on one of their showroom bikes after seeing mine and the set has absolutely vanished. Not even so much as a listing showing sold out, nothing and no inventory notes of any kind. Not have I ever seen any others in our travels, which are extensive concerning bike shows, etc. plus extensive web searches for all kinds of keywords, to no avail.

The day I got the bike:

October 2010 BOTM NB08Resize

October 2010 BOTM NB13

October 2010 BOTM NB14

As you can see, stone stock. Thereafter followed a brain storm of what precisely would follow the theme of such a paint scheme, gravestones, fire, trees, moons....the list goes on...but finally I hit the epiphany of graveyards= skeletons or skulls. And also as I have said elsewhere that I was deeply smitten with an old flames fathers 54 Panhead that had several skulls and a Halloween orange and black color scheme. Since he would never sell me the bike rusting in his shed, I decided to make MY version....*Wicked Smile*

Thus follows some deeply researched months to select piece by piece, part by part, nothing but THE perfect addition to the theme itself and if anyone thinks it was easy, just google Harley skull, or Harley skeleton and find out just how much stuff is available, unfortunately a majority of it either FAR too pricey, crappy quality, or both. Very Happy

So that has been a work in progress to the tune of around 110 skulls so far and still searching. I have found the perfect mirrors and headlight, but cant spare the thousand dollar tag for the two at the moment. Also added 96 UV ultraviolet blacklight LED's and two red LED "eyes" into the flaming skull intake.

October 2010 BOTM BellaLights2

Soon after starting that "collection," I also began to start formulating for performance. One, because I am a speed freak, and two, because I absolutely cannot stand "Trailer Queen or Show Queen" bikes that only get trailered and/or pulled out of a trailer for Bike Shows, etc, and are not even comfortable or functional for a 50 mile ride, let alone a cross country run. (All show, no go ) I wanted a RIDING machine that looked as wicked as it ran and would easily take me anywhere I cared to ride it to. As I had zero experience with an EFI engine, first I did research on performance tuners and decided on the Power Commander V with the additional Autotune module (self tunes. Which in essence saves the cost of a Dyno run anytime I was to change anything on the bike, plus also making it virtually "Idiot Proof" for my idiot self Razz ) I added to that a set of Rush performance slip on mufflers and the chrome flaming skull intake with the stage 2 K&N filter. So then it was virtually a stage 2 ride. But...like I said, I am a speed freak, so that was quickly inadequate.

I then referred to the best man I know, Andy Millet of Millet Motorsports in Denham Springs, Louisiana. Andy is a great guy and races Nitro burning Harleys just for fun and has forgotten more than I ever learned about the V Twins. We went over there for a visit and the convo went pretty much like this: "Andy, you know I have been bugging you about performance advice on this bike and you know what I have in it already. Still not happy, so just what would it take money wise for you to take over, build it and scare the F**K out of me, reminding you I have ridden for nearly 35 yrs and on some pretty damn scary bikes?" He thought a few minutes and replied "Three Grand."
"How much to get you started?" I said. "A grand for parts." I counted out a grand right then and there. It took about 3 months, as neither of us knew that being an 09, not a lot of performance stuff was available save for Screaming Eagle (Andy HATES Screaming Eagle stuff ) so he had to dig deep with his contacts to get stuff custom cut, custom designed and custom forged to fit and work right. Ended up costing me another grand, maybe a little more, but I never complained. I trust him THAT much. Ended up being a choice between a set of Screaming Eagle 110 heads or a full drag set for $4,000.00, to which I quickly chose the cheaper way (and Andy assured me he was going to drill out all the eagle anyway. Wink ) and a ton of other modifications. I did email him sometime after I had picked it up and this is his response:
Bored your cylinders to 103 ci.
Screaming eagle 110 heads with compression releases
Dave macky 598 lift cams
Adjustable pushrods
Lock up clutch assy (2500 pound racing clutch with mechanical assist to be able to pull it, NOT the cheap spring assist )
Special forged dome pistons cut to my specs for the 110 heads
Double moly ring set
Thick wall wrist pin set
Race headgaskets
Every thing else is a secret and I aint telling .

He also had advised me to throw away the Rush slipons. I think his exact words were "It sounds like it has a sock stuffed in it." lol! So, while I really wanted a set of Vance and Hines street sweepers, he strongly urged me to get this new set that I had never head of called Bassani Pro Streets. (This after a long discussion of him wanting me to get a two into one for the most horsepower and me refusing to lose the dual sound ) So once again I deferred to him and ordered the Bassanis instead. ( a note on this. The Pro Streets are what is called a "Two Step" pipe. Meaning they connect to the head at 1 7/8", then expand to 2", then expand once again to 2 1/2". ) Personally I have heard a LOT of Harleys sound off, and I have never heard THIS sound come out of one. And anyone who has seen and heard this bike agrees. It doesn't growl. It doesn't roar. It SNARLS. Especially out on the highway. Flips people out. And at idle, it sounds like a Drag Car. Loving it too. Very Happy He had also taken it to the local Harley dealer and had it dynoed both before and after. Before...it was pushing around 42 HP at the wheel. After...it is now pushing nearly a 100. Twisted Evil
May not sound like much to some superbike riders, but....take into consideration this is a 645+ pound machine....Cool

So I was waiting on a Screaming Eagle compression release wiring harness for the heads to which when they came in, Hayweed installed for me (Thanks Bro Very Happy )
And also while waiting on that, a problem developed. Andy had built it so hot that stop and go traffic was making it overheat. Back into research once more, finally settling for both an oil cooler system and a parade fan to keep the jugs themselves cooler. The fan I got from a vendor that takes a stock OEM fan and reinstalls a double output fan for better performance (again, thanks to Hayweed for the install help. Very Happy )

That problem solved, but it caused another. Installing the fan caused to need to relocate the horn. Relocating the horn caused the housing to pinch the horn so bad it choked it off and it wouldn't blow. So...a new addon piece...a Bad Boy air horn....Twisted Evil
And yes....they are LOOOOOOOOUD!!!!!! Twisted Evil

So...as everyone can see....a labor of love....a culmination of a lifelong dream and a tribute to a much loved and desired bike from years gone past...all rolled into one nice little package. And to top it all off, to be voted into such an Honored position...from all my much loved Bros and Sisters...well...this part of life just does NOT get any better than this...thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Very Happy

(Pic slide show soon to follow. I was in the middle of making one and the #&@#@(828@#@#(@^*&6 internet went down and now won't let me upload crap atm. Evil or Very Mad )
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:04 am

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Thank you for taking the time to document the history and build of such a fine machine for us! I always love to hear the story behind the bike!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:01 am

congrats on botm.

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:17 am

Very nice. Thanks for the story.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Wow. That is amazing Dragon.
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Edera Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:41 pm

I love Bella and you baby. Congrats on BOTM.

Miss October is Bella
Edera
Edera
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:03 am

Congrats Dragon! The write up was great and gave me even more respect for your machine. Bella is THE Halloween bike.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:42 pm

I did forget to mention the very first addon was bought for me and installed herself by edera. Love you too Baby.

October 2010 BOTM NB12

Much thanks to everyone. Very Happy

And the promised slideshow:

Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieNNN Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:06 pm

The bike fits the month, and the story rocked. Congrats
ZombieNNN
ZombieNNN
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by mick01 Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:05 am

That is wicked Dragon congrats. cheers
mick01
mick01
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Dragon wrote:October 2010 BOTM NB08Resize

LOOK!!!!! IT'S LT. DAN
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 01YZF6 Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:26 pm

all you need is some expletive words printed on the bottom of each boot...
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:31 pm

lol!

Yeah, one with ASS and the other KICKIN. Razz
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member