South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone ever make their own clubman bars?

4 posters

Go down

Anyone ever make their own clubman bars?  Empty Anyone ever make their own clubman bars?

Post by camo Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:22 pm

I am truing to build my XS adn do it as close to vintage as possible. back in the old school days the guys made thier own bars of other bars, Cut mine up tonight, need to notch them in the right spots and weld enm up, but Ithink it should work. I want to try clubmans befreo I went to clip ons, so i am going to give it w whirl. Pics will be posted when I get em done.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever make their own clubman bars?  Empty Re: Anyone ever make their own clubman bars?

Post by Guest Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:57 am

Cool Camo, I love to see things made vs. bought! I can't wait to see them! I have never seen guys make a set of clubmans before, but I have seen quite a few sets of homemade clip-ons. I have a set of homemade 33mm clip-ons that I am holding onto for my GS425 build.

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever make their own clubman bars?  Empty Re: Anyone ever make their own clubman bars?

Post by camo Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:47 pm

I think it would be in keeping with tradition of the vintage bikes to make as much as possible. Someone had to make the first set, Might as well give ti a try. i already cut up the bars so there is nothin to loose if I fail.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Awesome! That is what it's all about. Post us some pics of the finished product.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:40 pm

yeah man thats cool...build all you can! Like the old days, that is the way I see it too...old school craftsmen
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Very busy with school. I get a couple hours a week max to work on this thing till mid october. Slow pprogress, but I will take pics as I get it together.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Edera Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:25 pm

They aren't club bars, but I did design and had manufactured my own set of bars for my spyder. Took a number of Drawing and about 3 monthes to get the design right. But they work exactly as planned and they are very cumfortable. It;s hard for someone to understand the concept of a Horizontal "Z" bar, and not the Ape Hangers. Just one of the many CUSTOM things I did to my bike.

Anyone ever make their own clubman bars?  CustomBars1

Anyone ever make their own clubman bars?  CustomBars2
Edera
Edera
Bent Wheel

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:07 am

Did you build these yourself, or just the concept and have them comercially made?
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Edera Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:28 am

I'm not a welder, but I worked closely with a welder to get exactly what I was looking for. Couldn't find anything like it on the market.

It was more than a concept, since it involved detailed schematics on exactly how I wanted them, and where to place the different sizes of metal. There is 2 different sizes of Pipe use for these because the Ends were one size and the risers were another.

Since I was looking for a specific reach, The design was one of the crucial parts. The original bar on the bike was a drag bar, and a ver long forward reach for me with both arms and legs for the forward controls. My legs reached, but my back couldn't take the arm reach for any great distance.

Hope this straightens things up for you. I'd love to learn to weld, just never had the chance.
Edera
Edera
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Another member here, but one that doesn't come around much makes bars and other stuff. Amish Crack Dealer. He works like 65+ hrs a week, though.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:49 pm

I got lucky on the wleding, grew up on a farm in oklahoma, learned how to stick weld very young, then the USMC sent to 4 different welding schools. Now I am an FAA certified welder, I can arc, mig tig oxy fuel and silver braze. just about every metal you can think of, i can weld, steel, stainless, inconell, hasteloy renee31, you name it, I cna stick it together. odd thing is, my career fiend in the marine corps had nothing to do with welding..
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down