South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How about a solution to the ever elusive meet and greet.

+14
erljhnsn2003
camo
misfit
TheOldGuy
intruderrider
Hondarat
72shovelhead
Scadoodle
Paladin
Miss G
jmunsey
Tbonez
hayweed
JSteele
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How about a solution to the ever elusive meet and greet. Empty How about a solution to the ever elusive meet and greet.

Post by JSteele Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:40 pm

See Guidelines below.

Several of us are on our bike every weekened at diffrent times. Lots of spontaneous rides happen weekly. The e-mail seems to be very very inafective when planning a last minute ride.

Here is my idea. Since most of us can text, lets use it. That way spur of the moment rides can come together. Some of us can already be on our bikes and have a text come in advertising a ride or a meet and we would be able to join up.

Lets try this. I you would like to share your screen name and real name including phone number, i would compile a phone list that I will send to everyone to save into their phone book. The set up a group on your phone so that you can send out a broadcast text as to your plans.

Here is an example. Yesterday Tully and I got off to a late start. It was 4:30. Not enough time to e-mail or start making phone calls . I could have sent out a broadcast text to everyone that we where headed to the Silverhorse. One or many of you would get these texts and say " I can make it over there" You can even text the sender back to verify that we are still there and would wait. I think this will work.

If you are interested start e-mailing me your screen name, real name, phone number and where you live and I will compile a list and e-mail it back to each and everyone of you that would like to participate in this.

What do you guys think?

Members on Text List:

jmunsey
hayweed
Miss G
Tbonez
jsteele
intruderider
scadoodle
tully_mars

I will add new numbers to this list every Friday as they are given to me.

[u]Guidelines[/u]

:Only send out a mass group text to alert others of your planned ride.
:If you want to reply, only reply to the person that sent the text.
(do not reply to all) (some members do not have unlimited texting)

Last edited by JSteele on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 am; edited 6 times in total
JSteele
JSteele
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

How about a solution to the ever elusive meet and greet. Empty Re: How about a solution to the ever elusive meet and greet.

Post by hayweed Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:21 pm

I have had the same idea but never put it out there. Not sure how everyone else feels about it though. It is a great idea IMHO.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

How about a solution to the ever elusive meet and greet. Empty Re: How about a solution to the ever elusive meet and greet.

Post by JSteele Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:28 pm

I will keep the list going. It will stay private and the contact info will stay between those members involved.
JSteele
JSteele
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Keep Mr up to date with the list. I will pm my info.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tbonez Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Info sent
Thanks

Tbonez
Skid Mark

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:51 am

All this high tech stuff! So you just need our cell phone#?
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

https://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/jamesr100/Bike%20Stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:29 am

What a cool idea!! cheers Altho' I'm usually already planned into something most Sundays, the more the merrier I say! Will PM my info! What a Face
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JSteele Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 am

I will post a list of those wanting to be on the TEXT LIST. I will post those screen names at the top of this thread and send out the first list via the forum private messaging on Friday.
JSteele
JSteele
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 am

Awesome!!! cheers
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tbonez Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:34 am

Alrite

Tbonez
Skid Mark

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:34 am

When I get back on the road, I will get in on this with y'all.
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:35 am

You should have my info, let me know if you don't
Scadoodle
Scadoodle
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by JSteele Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:43 am

Scadoodle wrote:You should have my info, let me know if you don't

YEP!
JSteele
JSteele
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks
Scadoodle
Scadoodle
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:51 pm

I hate to be a grump and throw cold water on anything but.......

I see some problems with this whole thing that may be solved with some simple rules. Wide open to any other suggestions here. I thought a text message would be sent out. But today I must have gotten 10-15 messages on my simple no frills and non-smart phone that came in with a ring tone and said downloading pictures...no pic came out but a message. I suspect people are sending out emails????? MY phone always stays on vibrate so these ring tones really surprised me. I do not have email functions on my cell phone and right now am not sure what all those email message will cost me.

The other problem is the sheer volume of messages coming in. I was OK with being alerted of a ride and meet up time/place......but all day getting messages with "LMAO", "awesome", "sorry cannot make it", etc. are OK for posting on the forum......but not something I want huge amounts of messages on.

Am I being unreasonable here? Do I just need to take my simple phone number off this system? Help me out here?

Jim
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:18 am

Jim. I got them too. No pics were attached. They were hitting try all and should have just replied to the person they were talking too. You should not have any extra charges.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:27 am

I am setup on the list and only got the text from members responding to the ride, no photos etc. It actually worked well on my iphone with AT&T.
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by JSteele Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:42 am

I agree Jim. I recieved them too. They were replying to all. I have a smart phone and pic's did not load on my phone either. Anyway, I was not worried about it because I have unlimited texts, but you have a good point. I will post some guidelines above.
JSteele
JSteele
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14 am

72shovelhead wrote:I am setup on the list and only got the text from members responding to the ride, no photos etc. It actually worked well on my iphone with AT&T.
But those of us that did not make the ride were getting the text also. Not a problem for me but some may not want to get all of the texts.

I'm glad everyone had a nice time on the ride though.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm not sure i have every ones numbers!
Scadoodle
Scadoodle
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:39 pm

I hate to be old and cranky and grumpy.....but I am just stuck with all that....maybe the answer is as simple as just hitting reply and not reply all......it is such a rare occasion that anyone calls me on my cell that I freak out with all those texts!

;-)
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:23 am

You still getting text messages?
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:37 am

Not since the weekend.
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:22 am

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All you guys and gals.....take my phone number off this group list!!!!!!!!!!! I want no more messages...whatsoever!!!

I am not a cell phone person....just an old grumpy biker.....This seemed like a good idea at the time and if it works for ya'll....great...it ain't workin for me!
251-923-8428....if you ever need help or something...call me.....but take this number off this call list!!!!!!!!!

Jim
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hondarat Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:07 am

Sorry guys I didn't realize I was hitting reply all on my phone! I will make sure that is not done again!!
Hondarat
Hondarat
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next