South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road Stories...

4 posters

Go down

Road Stories... Empty Road Stories...

Post by Dragon Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Got some? Here's one of mine.

Way back in the dinosaur days...when we chipped spares out of round stones and all...

Seemed me and animals did not see eye to eye...
Or DID we...?
This is just ONE story in the tangled life of a Dragon....

I was 16 yrs old, all happy camper about my license and stepdad had bought me a brand new out of the crate 100 Kawasaki dual sport machine...sure beat all the yard sale behemoths and whatnot I was used to. I rode it about 10 miles over to grannies to spend a weekend, had a bro with his own 100 and a local public motocross track for us to play on about 3-4 miles from her house. So...off we ride, doing all the freshly imprinted rules of the road and whatnot still running around in our brain pans...ride staggered, ride staggered...so he takes point ahead on the left, me behind a tad on the right. Rolling down through an edge of town street, MAYbe doin just a little more than the 30 MPH due to teenage adrenaline, but not TOO much as we were still pretty green on actual road rollin.

Next thing I know a full grown collie dog LEAPS out from behind some bushes to chase my bro. He didn't see or hear me at all, so he naturally leaps right into my path. Me, being wet behind the ears and all, I have zero reaction time and t bone the damn critter. Resultant effect...over the handlebars I go and slide about 20 feet in the roadside loose gravel on my back.
Fortunate thing for me is that I had bought a new denim jacket that day and otherwise kept my back from becoming a pound of ground round. Knocked the dog clear off the road and into the ditch. So when we both came to our senses, we were lookin at each other from about a 5 foot distance. I slowly got up, he got up and slowly headed back into his yard, didn't even growl. I slowly got over to the bike and looked it over, the forks got twisted some, but nothing else.

Adrenaline and shock starts to kick in, so I start er up and drive back over to grannies. As I am driving back, my wrist starts to hurt pretty awful, but I'm scared now, so I pay that no mind. Get off, walk in her house, she is in the back, says "Why you back so quick, you barely left." I say what's happened and just as I start to say "I think I broke my arm," I look down, and my right wrist is swollen as big as my leg, so I say instead "I'm pretty sure I broke my wrist." She FLIES out the back of the house, tosses me in the car for the ER trip, overnight monitoring since I also got a knot on my head...

Three days later I went to Prom....in a hand to elbow cast... My date was pissed, and I had to switch sides with her for the picture posings to hide it.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Road Stories... Empty Re: Road Stories...

Post by hayweed Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:12 pm

lol. Love it. I have been VERY lucky. I have only been down one time. Put a 250 Honda custome in a ditch doin about 60. Got up and rode it home.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:59 pm

The only times that my bike and I have been down have all been less than 10 mph and in the trailer park where I reside. All three of them. Embarassed

Now when I was a kid I had visions of becoming a motocross star and took my little honda 50 up a serious hill and came tumbling back down. I left the bike where it lay and limped crying home to momma and that is the last time I remember riding it.
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtFreak Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Back in 92' I was haulin my cousin to Pratt,KS on the back of my 81' KZ1000. It was quite the adventure: clutch cable broke on Hwy 98 (not even out of Mobile County). I had to start it in gear with the choke on, & shut it off every time I stopped.
the speedo quit working
at the time I had no idea why, but the pick-up coils were going out & the bike only ran on 2 out of 4 cylinders most of the time (also started on 98).
both tires were balding very fast
and we barely had money for gas.

When we finally reach KS & I got pulled over for not stopping for 3sec at a stop sign. Well, in 92' AL did not require insurance & I did not have any. This is a problem in a state that does require insurance. I tried to explain that I did not stop for 3sec because my clutch cable was broke & I would have to shut the bike off & restart. It was 2am & the only people around was this cop. He also thought I was full of shyte when I said insurance is not required in AL. They arrested & booked me like I was Rambo in First Blood. I had to go to court & the Judge found out I was telling the truth about AL. He said it does not matter where your from, but where your riding. You have to follow the laws where you are riding. He made me get a KS license & insurance. I had to get a job & fix my bike & pay my fines. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was 30deg the morning I left & I had brand new tires & ignition. I was alone, but the ride back was flawless.
DirtFreak
DirtFreak
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Judge was either an idiot, corrupt, or both. Laws apply in your home state and traveling, the state you're in has to play guest to those laws. Especially the part about makin ya get a KS license if you had an AL license and were not a resident.

Had it been me, I woulda skipped, no way they would extradite for such trumped up charges.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtFreak Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Dragon wrote:Judge was either an idiot, corrupt, or both. Laws apply in your home state and traveling, the state you're in has to play guest to those laws. Especially the part about makin ya get a KS license if you had an AL license and were not a resident.

Had it been me, I woulda skipped, no way they would extradite for such trumped up charges.

I had to fix my horse or shoot it, & that's about all I had back in 92'. The judge asked how long I was going to be there before he said I had to get a KS license & Ins. I guess he thought I couldn't find a job. There was only 1500 people in that town. I showed him, I was outta there in 3 months.
DirtFreak
DirtFreak
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:02 am

Good for you. Very Happy
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down