South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'69 Bonneville HEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

2 posters

Go down

'69 Bonneville HEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!! Empty '69 Bonneville HEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 pm

i'm not really familiar with the "positive ground" system on these bikes. maybe its carb trouble, maybe its floating valves, i don't really know. my problem is that it won't start. it seems as though i am not getting fire from the coil to the sparkplug. i've checked, double-checked, and re-checked the gap on my points and it's exactly .015" which is what it was when the bike was running. if anyone can brainstorm and just toss ideas at me, in case i'm missing something, it will be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks in advance,

-R

Back to top Go down

'69 Bonneville HEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!! Empty Re: '69 Bonneville HEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:21 pm

I see you checked the gap, but did you verify that the plug is making spark?

Back to top Go down

'69 Bonneville HEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!! Empty Re: '69 Bonneville HEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Post by joeyputt Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Yeah like twisted said if you have not already done it check the spark first and we can all help you go from there...if you do not have a spark tool just pull both the spark plugs out of the head and with them out plug them back into the wires. Then rest the metal part of the plug like where you put the socket on it against the head or somewhere on the engine and kick the bike over and see if the end of the plug is firing or not....015 should be good on the points and make sure the point faces are clean, you can wipe them with a little very fine sand paper but don't sand them just wipe them off. Also it does have dual points and you are setting them independantly correct..? Triumphs are different than most bikes so if you do not know how to set them let us know and we will help you with them

Last edited by joeyputt on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. You can test the points. With them in the closed position, use a small popcicle stick to open the points. You should see a small spark in the points when they open. Also check to make sure you have 12 volts to the points.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:31 pm

thanks for all the help. i REALLY appreciate it! turns out the problem was a poor ground. i tore the bike apart over a loose battery cable. (totally MY fault) had a good enough connection to register on a test-light at the coils AND the points, but apparently not enough to fire the coils...?!?!? i've built plenty of bikes before, but this is my first Triumph. ALSO my first bike with positive ground. i think i'm letting that freak me out, i'm making rookie mistakes..... anyway, with all that being said, thanks again for all the input!!!! i'm sure before this build is over, i'll have more questions. hahaha seriously, THANKS!

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:48 pm

Hey that is great news...better to be a small problem you overlooked than a big problem you have not found yet! Post up a pic of the bike...we love pics!!! especially projects/builds we can watch grow!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:39 am

Sweet. Glad you found the problem. That's why I always use a dvom. Always look for battery voltage. A simple test light will fool you every time.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:25 am

+1 on that test light! Been down that road!

TriumpGuy, don’t let that positive ground thing get in your head man, it’s no harder....just a little different! You may have just learned this lesson, but just so you know, with a positive ground system it is much more important that each ground wire be securely grounded. So keep an eye out for things like paint, rust, and other corrosion between your wire ends and the grounding surface....it can cause real headaches! It is a good idea that at each grounding location, you sand it a bit and tighten down the wire end, and then spray on a little corrosion X, you can find it at a marine supply.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:05 pm

you guys are awesome! thanks 100 times and 100 times again! i'm gonna try to get some pics uploaded soon!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum