South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions

4 posters

Go down

Questions Empty Questions

Post by Guest Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:14 pm

I bought my 07 Road King from an individual about a month ago. It only had 1309 miles on it. Harley said the first service on a new bike is $299 and they thought I should do it. Is that something that I need to do or just chnage my oil and primery and trans fluid myself and go on about my business.

Back to top Go down

Questions Empty Re: Questions

Post by Jack the Bagger Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:34 pm

I have mixed feelings about the dealers around here ..

Montgomery and two in Birmingham ..

Warranty isnt an issue with you as you're out of the two years warranty period ..

Heart of Dixie in Pelham did my 1k and they havent touched it since then , and won't .. And I just past 20k .. Never back to the dealers since then ..

I firmly believe I paid 3 bills for three oil changes , a clutch adjustment and a bike wash ..

Dealer will only see mine if its broke and I cant fix it ..

That said ..

a) drop sixty bills or so and get a service manual

b) if you are semi mechanically inclined all three oil changes are a piece of cake .. a variety of opinions on best oil etc , wont go into that .. I been playing with Harleys forty years and regular oil changes with a quality oil are no brainers for me ..

c) clutch adjustment is pretty strait forward ..

d) the oil changes and just going over all your fasteners should suffice with those few miles and a cable loob for the clutch cable ..

e) for simplicity sake I use one brand oil and weight in all three holes , and am very happy with it ..

f) invest a few bucks in the belt tension tool , comes with instructions , the belt will stretch a bit more than normal when new , then will settle down more or less .. As long as you dont pick up any road debris the belt is good for , well I had one go close to 100 grand ..

g) feel free to PM me with any questions

h) see #1

Last edited by BaggerDriver on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack the Bagger
Jack the Bagger
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantom Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:36 pm

Did the previous Owner not take it in for the 1000mi service? I had the dealer do mine. You could probably do it yourself, but I'd get a service manual. Supposedly, there are a bunch of things to do during the first service besides just oil, prim, and trans.
Phantom
Phantom
Admin

http://www.samcsociety.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:00 pm

They told us on our 08 and 09 they didn't need service till 5,000. But if that model does at 1000, do it yourself. Like bagger says, get a service manual and a belt tool and save TONS of money. Other wise, get with him (or me, or several others who ride Harley ) and it's not all that hard to do. Not starting an oil war, but I use Amsoil and can get it on the preferred customer card till Oct, if yo or anyone else wants some. (eight a quart instead of 10. )
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks everyone, I have changed my oil and primary and trans and adjust the chain on my 04 electra glide when I had it but wasnt sure if there was anything else that may be of concern other than oil and I did not think about the belt. I have never owned a new bike so I wasnt sure if I was missing anything. Thanks everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:07 am

They do a lot more than just an oil change for the $300. I let the stealer do the first change on mine due to warranty issues. The rest will be done by yours truly. Use you best judgment and do what you fe is right.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down