South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Major Pickle

2 posters

Go down

Major Pickle Empty Major Pickle

Post by Guest Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:08 pm

I just bought a used Suzuki 650 DR. It is a 2000. When I got it and started riding it I noticed oil near the oil windon(where you can look to see the level of the oil.) I am not very good with technical terms. Anyway, I took it to a local shop hoping it was something simple......turns out it is not. The mechanic said it is the base gasket, which I guess is between the block and whatever else. I have no idea about how to work on these things. So I am at the mercey of this mechanic. He said 500-700 dollars for the repair. I only paid 2000 for the bike. I am freaking out and my wife is going to be pissed when I tell her I need to get it fixed. I am sure the guy who sold it to me knew the leak was there but did not disclose it. So I am screwed either way. I am pleading to someone out there to give me solid advice. Can you point me to a good mechanic that will not screw me, or is this a reasonable rate for this fix. I was so pumped to get this bike and this is a major bummer. Thanks ahead of time. Sad

Back to top Go down

Major Pickle Empty Re: Major Pickle

Post by hayweed Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:27 pm

If they told you it was the BASE gasket, that is where the cylinder meets the top of the block. You should be able to see a trail of oil running down the side of the engine. I am not sure on your bike, but a base gasket is the same on ANY bike. If you are in the mobile area you can bring it by my shop and I will take a look at it for you. If it is in fact the base gasket. That is a fair price for the repair. PM me for the addy.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:46 pm

hayweed is right, about the gasket you shoud see some oil leaking from the spot if the guy wiped it clean you can use baby powder to find the source if you dont want to ride it, remember oil doesnt leak down so when you have gone far enough up you have found it, as for the labor that is pretty standard price, I'm not sure if that is just labor or labor+parts but 700 is on the steep side. there is a guy on here who is a factory tech and is retired that has a little shop at his house for repairs just like this. he is in the services section.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Those kind of repairs can be quite pricy indeed. I would have Hayweed (And I ) look at it down at the shop. We can definitely tell you if that's what it is or not, then go from there.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum