South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NO electrical Power !

3 posters

Go down

NO electrical Power ! Empty NO electrical Power !

Post by VULCANRIDER Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 pm

Hello every one,

Its been awhile since I was on here so I had to sign up again. Ok here is my problem.
I have a 97 Vulcan 800, started having some charging issue with bike. Was told that the battery was good just wasnt charged up good. So i left it on trickle charge for a couple of days and all seemed well
After a couple of weeks of riding everyday back and forth to work plus a road trip or two the bike started acting weird. At a idle it sounded like a car with a cam in it. Ya know that loping sound.
Well I had it idling in the yard for about 10 minutes or so then the it shut completely off.

I tried to jump the bike off and that didn't work. I had no lights or anything. I checked all the connections and fuses even the main fuse to the starter relay 30 amp. I bought a brand new battery and installed it and NOTHING once again. I had the new battery checked and it is good.

I was getting power to the starter relay . But none of the fuses in the junction box would test good.
I replaced them even though they looked good. Still nothing ! I removed the side cover (left) above the regulator and there is a bunch of wires in there and BINGO. I noticed a black/white connector apparently its the lead alternator connector wire burnt to a crisp. Practically melted. I clipped the wire
back yellow/black and none seemed to have any power on them. I used a test light. I connected the wires back together and then hooked up everything and still no power of any kind at all. I changed the burnt wires up to make sure they was hooked up correctly. From what I read about those wires didnt really matter which way as long as yellow to black.

I did go a head order new regulator today as I was told that caused some of my problems to start with. Can anyone think of anything that I might need to check ? Im not aware of any other fuses to check. Do ya think it may have fried the fuse box ? I am assuming that since the since the fuse in the starter relay was good (30 amp) that the relay is good . (?)

That small connector with 6 wires 3 each side was only ones melted. If you can think of anything I may have missed feel free to offer up advice.

Thanks
Mike

VULCANRIDER

Back to top Go down

NO electrical Power ! Empty Re: NO electrical Power !

Post by hayweed Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Welcome back. The first thing I would check is the ground wire at the frame or engine. Not sure where it goes from the battery on your bike. Disconnect it and clean it. Even if it looks good.

Second place I would look is the ignition switch. Make sure you have power to and from the switch. Also follow the positive cable and make sure you have a good connection there. The positive should go to the starter solenoid. From there it should split and go to the fuse box and the ignition switch.

Start with that and let us know what you find.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Ray Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:36 pm

I'm with Hayweed. First thing is check for good ground. I was having similar issues with my Harley and then one day it quit on me and nothing at all. My ground wire from the frame to battery broke.
T-Ray
T-Ray
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by VULCANRIDER Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks guys I will check those things tomorrow and let ya know what I find

VULCANRIDER

Back to top Go down

Post by VULCANRIDER Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Ok guys here is what I have done today. I checked the ground wire it did look good but i removed it and cleaned it anyways. I checked the ignition switch and there is no power going to or from that switch. The main fuse 30 amp under seat at relay is good. There is power going into the starter relay and leaving the relay. But still nothing out of the fuses in the junction box. Im thinking maybe the junction box is fried ? I did find another bad wire around the ones that got burnt. But no other wires are showing anything wrong on rest of bike that I can see so far.

What is the CDI igniter box ? I see it next to the fuse box. Could that be the problem ? Im kinda thinking I might be dealing with multiple issues rather than just one thing.

Any more ideas ?

VULCANRIDER

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 pm

You should have a wire on the switch that is hot all the time. You need to find out why there is no power there first. And make sure you ground your test light to the battery. Not the frame or engine. The battery should go to the starter solenoid and at the same point there should be another wire that feeds the switch.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VULCANRIDER Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Ok I had to reconnect a couple of wires back together that was taped up from someone else. Now I have a white wire that goes to the switch and it does have power now. Yes I am grounding to the battery with test light.

I unplugged both connectors to the junction box and none of those wires
have any power at all going into the junction box or leaving it. I tried with key on and off so made no difference.

Also If I am grounded to battery and I put test light on the starter wire as it connects to the starter shouldnt I have power there ? Cuz no power on the starter itself when I do that.

Im having to do this stuff my self I cant afford $$$$ right now to put in shop. I was out of work and just started a new job only a short time now and money is a little funny if ya know what I mean.

I do appreciate all the advise and help.

On a side note I do have power going into the regulator itself. I have looked at wiring diagrams for this bike and I cant hardly see them cause they so d*mn small. I wondering if there is a fuseable link somewhere I havent found. Or possibly another ground somewhere I havnt come across.

VULCANRIDER

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:12 pm

You should not have power on the starter untill you you hit the start button. Your positive cable should go from battery to solenoid to starter. The solenoid is what makes the connection from battery to starter. The solenoid should be close to the battery.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VULCANRIDER Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Yes Hayweed you are correct. After I posted last I went out side again and followed the starter wire and figured out what you are saying.
I moved around a couple of the wires i had put back together and when I went to test the starter with light as you were saying I noticed my bike lights had come back to life. Then I hit the starter button and she fired right up.I guess one of my connections wasnt just right. Now in the morning I can put her back together again.

I will go over all the connections better in the morning and make sure all the connections are secure before I add black to them. Dont want any coming undone while heading down the highway.

Thanks for all the help...... Very Happy

VULCANRIDER

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Ray Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Glad to hear you got her going again.
T-Ray
T-Ray
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down