South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stripped thread! Help please.

5 posters

Go down

Stripped thread! Help please. Empty Stripped thread! Help please.

Post by EthioKnight Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:17 am

Hi folks,
While in the middle of installing the X-Race Predator rearsets on the shifter side, I managed to strip a portion of the threads on the rod connecting the shifter ball bearing to the linkage. I've attached pics and outlined the area I effed' up on. The reversed directions of tightening the different bolts/rods threw me off and I messed up...but immediately stopped when I saw a metal strip come out while attempting to tighten. It's like the ridges on the outlined sections have become 'flattened' and won't screw into the bearing thingy. Any suggestions? recommendations? (I've heard of some 'thread repair' products out there). Thanks for looking in and I'll be very grateful to whomever can shed some light on my fvck up pale

Stripped thread! Help please. 20120707556

Stripped thread! Help please. 20120707547
EthioKnight
EthioKnight

Back to top Go down

Stripped thread! Help please. Empty Re: Stripped thread! Help please.

Post by Dragon Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:49 am

There are all kinds of thread repair compounds on the market. But do you want to chance them with a unit that is constantly being moved and is under some stress constantly?

Likely you can get a new threaded piece for just a couple bucks at the dealer. Provided the ball itself is not damaged. And unless you really cross threaded the piece, it sounds more like the sizes between the two pieces are wrong.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 01YZF6 Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:04 am

seems like you had the piece of rod backwards. since both are opposite threads on each side.

get a new center rod ( all thread) at the dealer. cut to size, if needed, and install properly
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:09 am

Always seems to be the left handed thread that gets messed up. A standard tap and die would work for the other end. I would check with a local machine shop and see if they have something that will re-thread that end.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EthioKnight Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks for the input guys
I just returned from Ace hardware and the old fart there (very experienced) told me because of the reversed thread and metric nature of the thread, it was beyond the capabilities of a tap/die repair. (He broke the plastics on a new set just to demonstrate that!) He gave me info on a local machine shop and told me that was my best option...sorta sucks nuts! I've been waiting for more than three weeks to get my rearsets and now I've to wait yet again ('till monday), but anyways, thanks!
p.s. The gentleman also mentioned an old trick he thought was worth a try (only as a last ditch effort)...using a hacksaw to taper off/straighten the flattened peaks on the thread...just might end up doing that.
Oh!...and these are aftermarket parts, I doubt I'll be able to get a replacement from the stealership.
EthioKnight
EthioKnight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Hey, watch that old fart business. Suspect

Very Happy
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EthioKnight Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:03 am

Dragon wrote:Hey, watch that old fart business. Suspect

Very Happy
haha! No disrespect intended though...I meant that in the most loving and appreciative of meanings ...and I did recognize the gentleman's experience didn't I? I ought to get mad props for being so considerate Wink
EthioKnight
EthioKnight

Back to top Go down

Post by EthioKnight Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:35 am

...went down to a local machine shop (not the one recommended me by the older gentleman), and the guy there took a pair of pliers and just brute forced that b!tch in (me was squirming the entire time, but was too busy doing the guy's job, which was oiling a large drill bit as it drilled lol). Well, all seems to have worked out for the best...will see tomorrow when I get to install it. fingers crossed. Sad
Stripped thread! Help please. 20120708557
EthioKnight
EthioKnight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilestromrider Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:14 pm

I was going to say buy a thread file, but too late
mobilestromrider
mobilestromrider
Rear of the Pack

https://www.facebook.com/home.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down