South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 BOTM.

+14
Scadoodle
saltcreep
72shovelhead
Paladin
beachbum_
2002xlh
DirtFreak
Dragon
JSteele
Miss G
T-Ray
jmunsey
Jack the Bagger
hayweed
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should we continue with the BOTM.

2012 BOTM.  Vote_lcap37%2012 BOTM.  Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 10 ]
2012 BOTM.  Vote_lcap63%2012 BOTM.  Vote_rcap 63% 
[ 17 ]

Total Votes : 27

2012 BOTM.  Empty 2012 BOTM.

Post by hayweed Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:45 pm

I need some input from all members on the BOTM. I need to hear from members whether to keep it going or not. I have had a good time doing it but never have very many votes. So I am going to leave it up to SAMCS members. Please let me know how you feel.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

2012 BOTM.  Empty Re: 2012 BOTM.

Post by Jack the Bagger Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:54 pm

I think the challenge lies in the relatively small number of "active" members , you dont want repeat winners because of lack of entries .

So I voted negatory.

If it were a large forum with a larger active membership , would be different
Jack the Bagger
Jack the Bagger
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:02 pm

It was suggested last year to go to a bike of the quarter vice per month.
That may be worthwhile to look into.
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

https://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/jamesr100/Bike%20Stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Ray Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Being a Newb don't have much input as to how it works, but quarterly sounds like a good idea to me.
T-Ray
T-Ray
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:41 pm

here is an idea....skip this online BOTM thing...schedule a meet and greet at some establishment on a weekend.....make it a sunday maybe...and hold a bike show.....must be present to enter!
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:22 pm

jmunsey wrote:here is an idea....skip this online BOTM thing...schedule a meet and greet at some establishment on a weekend.....make it a sunday maybe...and hold a bike show.....must be present to enter!

Which would be great but you'll get even less involvement....many want to do whatever "it" is, few ever show...various reasons. I voted no.
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 pm

May not be as much involvement...but would be real involvement.
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Thanks for the input. After all, it is YOUR forum. I will only do what the members want. So please, keep it coming. And we will figure it out together.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Jim, I'm all for the get togethers! I've been to quite a few...and will gladly go to gatherings or ride with any of y'all again. What a Face
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JSteele Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:38 am

Jack the Bagger wrote:I think the challenge lies in the relatively small number of "active" members , you dont want repeat winners because of lack of entries .

So I voted negatory.

If it were a large forum with a larger active membership , would be different

Even the active members do not all vote. On any given day there are 20-30 members checking in but only half vote each month. I voted "NO".
JSteele
JSteele
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:44 am

Checking in does not make one active.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtFreak Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 pm

I voted no. I would like to get rid of sig pics too. Sorry, but you asked.
DirtFreak
DirtFreak
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by 2002xlh Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:56 pm

my whole take on the subject is end it...not enough competition on here, i have been seeing way to many stock bikes win and i guess thats result of lack of participation or what but i dunno gotta have options i guess...i believe this forum needs to be livened up a bit, i check in and would love to have input on something but its always the same ol' crap on here....and i have seen alot of cool members come and go on here many i enjoyed riding with but as im starting to feel they also got bored....and jim i totally dig the live bike show gigs but the one and only one we had at champs was disappointing, i was steady getting flyers from nick passing them out and inviting my bros to show up which many did, if you noticed they was the ones of an outlawish group on custom bikes of mostly black, and i arrived early along with my bro deviant to even give a hand to help set up, then bought a t-shirt and then entered my sporty , then to see it get beat out buy a stock sporty due to he was a certain admin's friend, after seeing how that worked is when i started losing interest...the helping that i did for the bike show does not earn a win im not saying that...im saying dont like the whole buddy system and if thats how a future bike show would be count me out ill go ride with gang....no offense but you did ask for opinions so heres mine....ride safe everybody cheers
2002xlh
2002xlh
road grime

Back to top Go down

2012 BOTM.  Empty botm

Post by beachbum_ Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:33 pm

well i kinda like the pictures every month of different bikes but i do understand the non paticipant problem. so here goes my suggestion. anyone that wants to put up say a five picture set of there bike. and some internet savvy peeps here say someone like phantom etc could take those five pic sets and set them up to rotate weekly daily whatever is best depending on the number presented or even just a montage of diff bikes would give newcomers a look at the forum to see our diversity etc. ok i will stop ramblin PEACE beachbum_

beachbum_
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Not wanting to change the subject. But I had 2 independent judges for the bike show. And I tallied the votes myself. So I know for a fact there was no buddy deal for ANYONE. Only one member was a judge and I was against it but we needed 3. As for seeing the same old crap on here. Maybe you should post something instead of lurking all the time. There are only about 10 dedicated members on here and sometimes we run out of things to post. So help out everyone and post something that interest you. bounce
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm Miss Blabberfingers on here.... I don't have much of anything of great value to add but I do participate. I love this little forum and I've really liked all I've met so far. What a Face

Last edited by Miss G on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:29 pm

<- Not so much here lately. Embarassed
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack the Bagger Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm in and out , I may stop in every day this week , and just nose around .. Then next week I may not stop in at all ..
Jack the Bagger
Jack the Bagger
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:20 pm

I really don't care one way or another for BOTM, that is not the reason I joined in with this group. I joined to meet others to ride with and it does not matter what they ride. I like everyone I have met so far, and enjoyed the company of people who love and ride their bikes. I like how the site has different forums for everything around bikes of all kinds,stock and custom. lets be honest very few bikes are still stock as they rolled off the showroom. everyone likes to add their touch of ownership. I like a bike for riding , not polishing , sitting in the garage collecting dust and ridden on the quote 'perfect days for riding'. This is a very diverse group and that is what makes this group so great to be a part of. okay enough soap boxing; what I would like to see is a gallery with at least one photo of every members bike on the site.
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Well, since this seems to be turning into a clear the air session....

I used to post 5-10 different topics a day, mostly biker but a few not. That went to s*it, same usual active people.

I used to try to arrange rides and events. Half didn't want to ride, the other half did. Half never showed up regardless, even with months advance notice. I then tried to arrange both at the same event. If ya wanted to ride, ya could, If ya didn't then there were others who felt the same. Same old same people showed up, the rest just couldn't make it, even with months notice.

As for Champs being a disappointment, well....maybe some who feel that way don't know the full story on that. Including trying to compete with one major bike run that same weekend. And vast other things behind the scenes besides. I know I loaned a shitload of stuff including my canopy, tables, etc. And a brand new 120 dollar hurricane fan that got trashed, but gee...nobody knows how that happened....And anyone who has never tried to organize a bike show, well...give it your best shot. You will think differently afterwards, that I can promise.

Edera and I worked and helped out in securing a monthly meeting place in Fairhope with the constant rule that if ya wanted to throw together a ride, great. If ya didn't, well, there were others just like you too. Even held at a bar and GRILL...totally family friendly in case anyone wanted to bring their kids, and those who wanted a cold beer could just as equally have one, too. That worked for about 2 months. Even then, maybe a dozen.

We threw a Halloween party there. Same old thing, plenty of notice.....flat response, same old half dozen, save we actually got a couple newcomers and we were glad of it.

So, its been tried both ways. Just a meet and greet. Or a ride. Same old response from the membership.

Only time I have really seen more than that is the two BBQ's I held and the first one was free beer and free food. People showed up sure then. The second one, yes, some people donated and it was appreciated. Still more than the usual half dozen. Yes we went on a good ride the first one, second one it rained like holy hell. But once again, it was left up to the members if it cleared, they could ride if they chose to. Some don't like riding in a group and that has always been kewl with this group as far as I know.

And as for some supposed buddy system. No offense but that is bullshit. No offense of course. Nice little oxymoron there, isn't it....

Well, I am done trying to appease and entertain and cater to everyone's wishes as to meetups. Doesn't work anyway. I been quiet awhile myself, offering help when asked but that's about it. And I sure as hell am no better than anyone else, I am just a member here myself. Anyone with a complaint, I have one response. Do better. Someone else's turn anyway.

As I still have a few friends around here, I will be around. But not much. And yes, like many others I been workin my ass off and do not have much spare time. But even then, I make at LEAST an event every 6 months. Ask yourself the same question. And if the answer is no, then IMO, you are not an active member if you can't spare a day twice a year.

Nuff Said.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack the Bagger Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm

If I wasnt three hours away yawl wud see me a bit
Jack the Bagger
Jack the Bagger
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Dragon & all moderaters ,
Keep up the good work!
You guys are the backbone of this group, one of the best I have ever been on much less part of. The members/owners of this site do a terffic job!! I am just a newbe here looking to meet and make new freinds and ride without having to go bar hopping trying to do the same thing. Something comes to mind when faced with events such as this MEETINGS ARE HELD WHEN TWO MEMBERS GET TOGETHER...Amercian legion China Post 1.
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by beachbum_ Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:32 pm

i agree about the fix being in at champs for one i was shocked when my non harley won when in fact i was just throwing the 20 bucks in to support the cause that day hmm think it was bird watching or something. had my bike parked on the wrong side of where most the judging and crowd was hanging. had a great time that day enjoyed meeting a few folks some where non members of the forum.yeap im a loner but i have shown up to a couple events like the bbq great food and fellowship. i would really like more riding than beer drinkin an bullshittin but it is hard for me to get away and meet up being from east la. anytime there is a group there will always be a small clik of peeps but i have never felt unwelcome around here. basically we all love motorcycles its just some ride to love and love to ride and others just like the biker image. ok enough hopefully we can get some riding in soon and maybe meet up at thunder beach this spring . i am trying to firm up a trip to bike week in daytona so if it happens maybe whoever shows up there can get together too.

if any of this is feasible please let me know
beachbum_ the old man from east la
bukweet53@gmail.com
i ride a victory but i will try to keep up and not embarass anyone Smile

ps whats up with the baby status Phantom

beachbum_
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by beachbum_ Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:38 pm

to clarify about the fix i agree that there was no such bullshit going on.
you win some you lose some and some just get rained out

with motorcycles beauty and cool is subjective at best what looks cool to me might suck to you it all comes back to opinions and you know what they say about that and we all have one and some act like one <_ dont get excited im just funnin (Life is too dam hard to take it so seriouly)

beachbum_
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by saltcreep Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:49 pm

I got no bones in this fight.. I have an 80's styled plastic bike, that is not gonna be botm material for most peeps Smile (I personally love the styling)

Sounds like I missed some kick-ass events though pale

I run 3 forums, they have all been down in hits the last couple of years... I blame the big move to Facebook by everyone. Everyone has their fill of socialization there and not enough to spread around to the small forums, etc..

One thing we do on one forum I am on, is a member creates a new banner every month, Christmas banner, summer banner whatever, and usually sticks some member posted pictures in there, it is not a contest or anything like that, it's just something for fun....
saltcreep
saltcreep
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next