South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you plug a screw hole in your tire?

+3
weirdbeard
crispy
Mrbadlands
7 posters

Go down

Can you plug a screw hole in your tire? Empty Can you plug a screw hole in your tire?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Well went outside today and noticed something silver on my tire. Went and checked it out turns out I have a screw sticking in my front tire. Didnt go flat or anything but was wondering if you could patch it and ride it like this for awile? Thanks guys

Back to top Go down

Can you plug a screw hole in your tire? Empty Re: Can you plug a screw hole in your tire?

Post by Mrbadlands Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:31 pm

I would say it depends on where in the tire it is. If it is near the center you probably could. I got a nail off center towards the edge of the tread pattern and attempted to plug it to get to my destination, and it did not last but a couple miles. I would not recommend using the tire indefinitely should you get the plug or patch to work. If you continue using it, that hole will be on your mind constantly and there is a decreased safety factor there too.
Mrbadlands
Mrbadlands
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Can you plug a screw hole in your tire? Empty Re: Can you plug a screw hole in your tire?

Post by crispy Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:42 pm

You can but I wouldn't. I would patch it. It's much safer.
crispy
crispy

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:45 pm

I have done it twice and finished out the tire with no problems, but it is always on your mind that it could fail anytime.. Suspect
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by jughead Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:41 pm

This is an area where I am overly cautious. Since you only have two tires I just do not trust a patch or a plug on my bike. My skin is worth more than a tire (At least I hope it is). I have replaced a tire with less than 300 miles on it because of some a@@hat that left a trail of sheetrock screws on the road. I am sure there are plenty of people that will say to ride it. We have a dangerous hobby in the best of conditions...... No sense in adding to it.

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only, that is not to say it is the only correct answer.

Your mileage may vary.
jughead
jughead
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:12 am

Ok what I ment to say is plug. The hole is in the centere of the tread pattern almost perfectly centered on the tire.

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:16 am

The answer is yes you can.. It will probably work fine, but it could kill you.. .. The right way is a patch from the inside. The string plugs have worked fine for me, but people say its a gamble.
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:29 pm

I have been using plugs for years, Installed correctly I have never had a problem with them.

I usually run em till the tire is done and themn I remeomber I put it in there.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrbadlands Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:40 pm

I used to not have a problem using a plug, still don't on my cages, but about a year ago I had a situation that reinforced the possible danger of plugging the tires on my Roadking. Long story short is I am sure some people do it with positive results, but I didn't have positive results and it could have cost me my life.

Mrbadlands
Mrbadlands
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:26 pm

If it was done correctly it is just as safe as a patch.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Well, I know you can't plug a tubed tire, even if it says tubeless. I personally would invest in a new tire. You have only two stopping points unlike a car with four. You have only about 10% of the tire on the road at one time. Loosing one stopping point could cause death or serious bodily harm. However a patch would be safer, a plug should only be used for a temporary fix. You could just keep the screw in there and keep up with the air, and ride on a prayer, till you get a new tire or a flat that can't be fixed.
Scadoodle
Scadoodle
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:37 pm

If you have a tube type tire, you have no business trying to use a plug anyway.
i ride about 30k a year, I often use plugs and have never had one fail . Come to think of it. I have one in my rear that has been ther for about 8K miles.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrbadlands Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:21 am

I was merely stating my opinion and justifying why I choose to to plug a tire on my bike. I have never had an issue with any plug I put in up to the point of about a year ago. Yes it was done correctly. There is a much more narrow area in the center of the tire than I realized, I am assuming this was why I had the issue I did. Trust me, I didn't enjoy replacing a tire that had just about 1100 or 1200 miles on it.
Mrbadlands
Mrbadlands
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:17 am

I disagree that plugs are safe. Some tire stores are now refusing to use them and pretty much any LEO will tell you they will not plug one either due to the possibility of high speed blowouts. But there are debates all over the net as to which way people feel about it.

Your bike, your tire and your life, but I would only use one as a temporary measure personally. Tires are outrageous, but so are hospital bills, in my humble opinion. Wink
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:26 am

I disageree they are unsafe, Years of using them on countless vehicle has never let me down.

I cant patch my tire when I am out exploring the united states, so I use plugs, Thay have been an effective means of repairing most tire punctures fro many years.

As for dealers that wont use them, Heck for that amtter you cant fidn a dealer to install tirees you purchased from somewhere else anymore, its a sue happy world we live in. As for LEO, they just install new tires, No patching or plugs.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down