South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

96 VMAX 1200 Question

2 posters

Go down

96 VMAX 1200 Question Empty 96 VMAX 1200 Question

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Ok I decided that These questions belonged in here not the newbie forums.

My question is Noticed oil coming from what i believe to be the carb. Owner told me it was probably because the airbox wasn't seated properly. Asked around and got this answer from another source.(Your float is stuck inside the carburator try softly taping on the carb with a small hammer to try to seat the floats neddle and seat better if that doesn't work you will need to remove the float bowl and service the needle and seat and adjust the float level.)

Wanting to be sure before I buy a P.O.S that I'll have to dump my bank account into. SeaDogg IS NOT a rich man Smile

Any help would be great
Thanks Guys & Gals

Back to top Go down

96 VMAX 1200 Question Empty Re: 96 VMAX 1200 Question

Post by Jack the Bagger Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Well I put this in yer noobie post as well ..

Dont see where the a/c seating has anything to do with it ..

Seen in a lot of Harleys , blowby thru the a/c after a hard run ..

Is possible the float is sticking , specially if the bike has been setting for a while ..

Jack the Bagger
Jack the Bagger
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Well I don't think its sat more than a month or two..maybe three ... Will check it out better tomorrow when I get the call from the guy. He's still got to get his ole ladies approval lol. We'll see hopefully all goes well I'll have some new pics up soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Brother your post says that you noticed oil coming from the carburetor, did you mean oil or fuel?

The engine breather normally hooks to the air cleaner so that the engines internal air is filtered, some motorcycles will blow a little oil and it will normally lay in the air cleaner housing so if the air cleaner is not seated properly a little oil could leak from it however a leaking needle and seat or a bad float in the carburetor will not cause this condition if the engine is in good condition. A leaking needle and seat can fill the cylinder or engine with fuel while the engine is not running which will wash the oil from the rings, cylinder walls, bearings, etc. which will do internal damage to the engine when it is turned over or started which will cause, the same as a worn cylinder would, excessive blowby of oil. It could also be something as simple as the engine being overfilled with oil.

If you meant fuel this could be caused by the needle and seat not sealing properly, an improperly set float, a bad float, or a stuck float. It could also be caused by the bowls air vent, not the drain on the bottom but the air vent that normally runs from above the float to the side of the carburetor, being clogged. The air vent will normally have a rubber vent tube that can become clogged and dirt dobbers are well known for clogging them with dirt nests in this area which causes the bike to run as if it needs the carburetors cleaned and can also cause the carburetor to flood.

A motorcycle that sits for a couple months with todays fuels, especially ethanol fuels, will need the carburetors cleaned.

joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:57 am

Thanks for the lowdown Joey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content