South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VACATION!! MAY 9-15th!!!!!!

+3
beachbum_
jughead
HenryD
7 posters

Go down

VACATION!! MAY 9-15th!!!!!! Empty VACATION!! MAY 9-15th!!!!!!

Post by HenryD Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Wife and I plan to leave Mobile Monday morning, May 9th headed to North Alabama, Tenn, NC and North Georgia.

We just happened to be able to work it where we will both be off work. She starts her NEW job the 17th so I am extremely excited for her, and me! I got a raise! lol

Anyway, leaving Monday, plan to make it to Guntersville and stay at the State park lodge there. Ride the next day over to Little River Canyon, hit downtown Ft. Payne for a short walk and see the group Alabama statue's. Head there up to Mentone and maybe have some lunch and see the Church built in the rock. Headed there on up towards Lookout Mt scenic highway. Maybe whip into Chickamauga Military park for a look around.

Next we head towards Tellico Plains, and over to the Dragon, going North. Ride the Dragon out and head towards Wears Valley and over to Clingman's Dome. Highest point in Tenn. Continue on around on HWY 441 and back to Fontana Damn and Robinsville then head towards Franklin and see the waterfalls between there and Highlands.

Leaving there, headed to Dilliard to have some breakfast, lunch or dinner at Dillard House. Hiawassee, Blue Ridge and Ellijay most likely will be next. Plan is to roll up for the VTX gathering on Saturday the 14th at Cheaha. Plan to meet the other VTXer's crews and friends, have some good food, fellowship and then head on back down South to Mobile.

Overall, only about 1300 miles. Told wife the only hard riding day will be the 1st day. Only 325 miles, but with her having had back surgery, its a haul for her. We plan to take it slow, enjoy the ride, the weather, regardless, and just relax. We ALWAYS have the option of changing the route or doing an extra day just to lay around and relax on a quiet mountainside. I am SOOO looking forward to this trip.

If anyone has any more MUST see or do destinations that is sorta on the route, please chime in! I plan to take loads of pictures, take lots of breaks, and enjoy the whole trip!

HenryD

Edit- added the map....its pretty close, but not exactly perfect.

VACATION!! MAY 9-15th!!!!!! Vacation3

Last edited by HenryD on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:51 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Better map)
HenryD
HenryD
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

VACATION!! MAY 9-15th!!!!!! Empty Re: VACATION!! MAY 9-15th!!!!!!

Post by jughead Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:09 pm

One of my favorite rides in that area is Helen Ga.
jughead
jughead
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by HenryD Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:19 pm

Yep, we went to Helen last year and enjoyed it. We may ride over to Maggie Valley or even into Helen, depending on time and how we feel.
HenryD
HenryD
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by beachbum_ Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Dangit only one thing wrong that i see is my A%$ aint going along with yall. maybe one thing if you have time try the cherahola skyway outta robbinsville or into robbinsville a nice ride without the traffic of the dragon on a weekend day. also on the tenn side of the dragon the state troopers are patrolling extra hard to keep the speed limit at 30 and will write for any thing over. Have a great time and be safe and take plenty of pictures Peace beachbum_

beachbum_
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack the Bagger Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:33 pm

when around the dragon , dont forget Cherohala Skyway , think it's exit 61 or so just before Knoxville ..

If around Dahlonega Georgia , the Smith House is a must eat place ..

Me vacating the following week
Jack the Bagger
Jack the Bagger
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack the Bagger Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:35 pm

also around LRC ( awesome ride BTW ) is Noccalula Falls
Jack the Bagger
Jack the Bagger
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by HenryD Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Jack the Bagger wrote:when around the dragon , dont forget Cherohala Skyway , think it's exit 61 or so just before Knoxville ..

If around Dahlonega Georgia , the Smith House is a must eat place ..

Me vacating the following week

The Cherohola is what we will ride from Tellico Plains into Robinsville. I forgot to name it on my route. Good point though!

Smith House.....we will be North of Dahlonega, most likely, but if we do swing down that far, we will look it up.

I hope your vacation is as good as ours is shaping up to be.
HenryD
HenryD
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by HenryD Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:16 pm

beachbum_ wrote:Dangit only one thing wrong that i see is my A%$ aint going along with yall. maybe one thing if you have time try the cherahola skyway outta robbinsville or into robbinsville a nice ride without the traffic of the dragon on a weekend day. also on the tenn side of the dragon the state troopers are patrolling extra hard to keep the speed limit at 30 and will write for any thing over. Have a great time and be safe and take plenty of pictures Peace beachbum_

If you can swing it, we don't mind riding with anyone. Its going to be a killer vacation! Laid back and easy riding.
HenryD
HenryD
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 am

Sounds great. Hope ya'll have a great time. Ride safe.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 am

It sounds wonderful and I hope to make a similar trip once I'm back up and riding. Enjoy. Can't wait to see the pics!! cheers
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieNNN Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Yeah, have fun and be careful.
ZombieNNN
ZombieNNN
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by HenryD Thu May 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Well, after last weeks tornado's and all the devastation, we decided to post-pone this motorcycle vacation trip. We decided to stay closer to home and just rented a beach house on the Island for a week instead.

I can post some pictures of the gulf though! I plan to relax, enjoy some "adult beverages" and hopefully NOT pass out and get fried! lol

HenryD
HenryD
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down