South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dumb almost dead battery question

2 posters

Go down

Dumb almost dead battery question Empty Dumb almost dead battery question

Post by Guest Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:50 pm

I went out this morning to at least crank up the bike to let her run in the garage for a few, and she wouldn't turn over. It sounds like the battery has a low charge. Suggestions? Ask me about car batteries, and I'm fine, but I haven't had the bike long enough to deal with this little issue.... Thanks!

Sara

Back to top Go down

Dumb almost dead battery question Empty Re: Dumb almost dead battery question

Post by Dragon Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:05 pm

Do you have a trickle charger?

Motorcycle batteries are very similar to car ones, save that they do not last nearly as long. Usage varies, but on average they will only last around 2 years at best. Yes, some get longer usage than that, but not often. They should not be charged with an automotive charger, rather a trickle or float charger. A float means it will shut itself off automatically after charge so that it does not overcharge or boil off the batteries acid.

Walmart has trickle chargers, usually named motorcycle, ATV or snowmobile chargers for around 20 dollars. I just got a float charger from Harbor Freight for around 8 dollars. Read carefully if you buy a trickle charger and see if it's automatic shutoff or "float" as some cheaper ones are not. If it's not, it must be unplugged manually after a day of being hooked up to the battery. Also most of either one come with a connector that can be permanently put onto the battery terminals so that anytime you want to hook the charger up, it's a simple plugin that you leave easily accesible rather than having to expose the battery every time (removing the seat or sidecover hassle. Wink )

If the battery is over a year or two old, it's likely time to shop for a new one. But I would try a trickle charger and see if it does it again after a week or so (provided it starts after a charge ) if it does, likely the battery has gone south.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantom Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:35 pm

+1 on dragon... Mine went bad after 1.5yrs. Took it up to car parts store and they tested it.
Phantom
Phantom
Admin

http://www.samcsociety.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks! I may ask a few more dumb questions. I've had too much going on lately and should have at least cranked her up to keep the battery charged. Sad

Sara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Wink

Ask away. Very Happy
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down