South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tires

+6
Dragon
wseibert
Paladin
crispy
Phantom
hayweed
10 posters

Go down

Tires Empty Tires

Post by Guest Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:16 am

Which brand of tires last? We put new tires on the Bandit about 15 months ago and have replaced the rear a couple months ago and need a new front tire. I forget which ones we put on but I know it was from a well known tire company. Is one different than another?

Back to top Go down

Tires Empty Re: Tires

Post by hayweed Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:46 am

I'm partial to Dunlop. Been using them for year's. It make's a difference in which compound tire you get. If you buy a sticky tire it doesn't last as long.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantom Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:29 am

Mine came stock with Dunlops. The front cupped real bad (problem w/ rocker) and rear wore out in 4500 miles (problem with right wrist). When I powdered the wheels, I went with new Dunlop Elite 3's and love em. I read up on them and found out they were a little harder but lasted longer and nobody could tell a difference in the handling characteristics. Got them at:

click here
Phantom
Phantom
Admin

http://www.samcsociety.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:01 pm

they most likely gave him a sport compound tire, alot has to do with the rider also

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks Phatom.
well Nick he tells me that he drives responsible but I dunno. I just know he can't afford new tires every 12 months! So I was trying to find him something safe and he can get his money's worth out of it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:37 pm

you'll have to go to a motorcycle tire store and pick there brain, tire compounds have come a long way so you can still have a sticky tire that is hard in comparison to years before

Back to top Go down

Post by crispy Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:10 pm

I just put a dunlop on my bike. Thats what came on it
crispy
crispy

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:20 pm

I run Dunlop 404's on mine. And I do go through a set of tires a year.
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by wseibert Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:52 pm

He has Bridgestone BT016 (Battlax) for both the front and rear.
wseibert
wseibert
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:35 pm

You know what they say.........It's Bridgestone or Nothing. lol! The last sport bike I had I put Dunlop K591 street compound on it. Rode it three years and still looked great. Not sure if they still make the k591 though.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Been hearing good things about (Pirelli ) Scorpion brands, but never tried them. Supposed to be cheaper yet last longer than others.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by keystiger Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:15 pm

Mostly run Michelin Anakees on my Tiger, though I just installed a new set of Shinko brand tires last weekend......they are great for the $ 2 tires for about the same as 1 rear Michelin. Can't attest to wear length yet, but they seem like good tires.

They have sport bike sizes avail. I bought them from motorcyclesuperstore.com

Also---for what its worth I ran Continental "Road Attack" tires on my (much sportier) Triumph Speed Triple. And I really rode the snot outta that thing HARD acceleration ----regularly--- well almost constantly--- and they held up very very well with pleanty of grip and good handling. A set lasted me almost 3 years lived in South Florida and commuted at least 2-3 times a week plus weekend jaunts.

My .02 cents
keystiger
keystiger
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:24 am

been running shinko on my harley for 2yrs now and i just put a set of shinko's on the buell.they are really good tires and cheap.

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:55 am

For years I just bought those cheap Cheng Shin tires from the JC Whitney catalog.......between those and the expensive Dunlops from HD...I really cant tell much of a difference...but....hey!!!!...that is just me!
;-)
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

https://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/jamesr100/Bike%20Stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Mon May 30, 2011 11:45 am

The battle axes handle well but I only get about 5K miles out of a set. I went to shinko raves and have used them exclusively for the last few sets. I runthe raven dual compound tire and I am very impressed. they handle weel adn i can get a set deliverd for abotu $170

If money is not a factor i would recommend michelin pilot, or pilor road is yu tour on the bike. But they are pricey tires that i see no real benefit over my Shinko ravens.

EDIT- For some reason I thought we were looking for tires for a suzuki bandit. For tires on a cruiser i cant help much , I havent owned a cruiser for quite some time. Sorry.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by misfit Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:28 pm

I use Avon Venoms a lot. Great tires and they last a long time.
misfit
misfit
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down