South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congress to hold hearing on effects of 15 percent ethanol More Info

5 posters

Go down

Congress to hold hearing on effects of 15 percent ethanol  More Info Empty Congress to hold hearing on effects of 15 percent ethanol More Info

Post by Guest Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Well here is your federal government wanting to help you again

Congress to hold hearing on effects of 15 percent ethanol

Urge your Representative to support H.R. 3199 today!

On November 2, 2011, the Energy and Environment Subcommittee of the House Science, Space and Technology Committee, chaired by Rep. Andy Harris (R-MD), will hold a hearing entitled "Conflicts and Unintended Consequences of Motor Fuel Standards."
To watch a live webcast of the hearing, click here.

In a previous American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) alert, on October 14, 2011, Representative Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) introduced H.R. 3199. This bill would require the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to seek independent scientific analysis on the effects of 15 percent ethanol blend (E15) gasoline.

"The EPA's decision to allow E15 into the marketplace will impact every American who owns a car, lawnmower or boat," Sensenbrenner said. Automakers insist that using E15 will void warranties, lower fuel efficiency and cause premature engine failure. In off-road engines, the effects can even be dangerous for users.

"There are serious concerns that the EPA used only one Department of Energy test and rushed E15's introduction into the marketplace," Sensenbrenner said. "This test was limited in scope and ignored a plethora of evidence – albeit inconvenient evidence for the EPA – that shows E15 gasoline has a negative effect on engines."

The new E15 gasoline formulation may appear at a fueling station near you and you need to be careful where you use this new fuel blend. That is because the EPA, in October 2010, approved E15 for use in model year 2007 and newer light duty vehicles (cars, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty passenger vehicles). In January 2011, it added model year 2001-2006 light duty vehicles to the approved list.

Riders should pay attention to this list because no motorcycles or ATVs are currently listed.

The AMA is concerned about E15 because it burns hotter than gasoline that contains a lesser amount of ethanol. In engines not designed to dissipate that extra heat, damage in the form of premature wear can result. Although this is a concern in all motorcycles, it's particularly problematic for air-cooled engines found in many bikes. Moreover, use of E15 may even void the manufacturer warranty.

Since the approved list includes many light-duty vehicles in use today, refineries, distributors, and fueling stations may choose to offer primarily E15 gasoline because of this action by the EPA. This should concern all motorcyclists and off-highway enthusiasts since this may affect the availability of gasoline with less or no ethanol (E10 or E0).

We need your help to pass H.R. 3199. You can find contact information for your Representative at AmericanMotorcyclist.com > Rights > Issues & Legislation, then enter your zip code in the "Find your Officials" box. A prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to your federal elected official immediately by following the "Take Action" option and entering your information.

For more information on this issue, read the August issue of American Motorcyclist magazine, which includes a column entitled "Alcohol and Motorcycles Don't Mix." To view the column, click here.

In a previous AMA alert, Representative Sensenbrenner also introduced H.R. 748. This bill would prohibit the Administrator of the EPA from authorizing the use of gasoline containing greater than 10 percent ethanol in certain vehicles. For more information on H.R. 748, click here.

Again, the AMA urges you to write your Representative today and ask them to support H.R. 748 and H.R. 3199. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Congress to hold hearing on effects of 15 percent ethanol  More Info Empty Re: Congress to hold hearing on effects of 15 percent ethanol More Info

Post by Miss G Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Big Brother needs to go away....sheesh! Thanks for the heads up.
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Congress to hold hearing on effects of 15 percent ethanol  More Info Empty Re: Congress to hold hearing on effects of 15 percent ethanol More Info

Post by Scadoodle Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks for the Heads up.
Scadoodle
Scadoodle
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:36 am

I had heard somewhere they were pushing for 20 percent.

Ethanol is CRAP in most gas burning engines from a chainsaw to 4 wheels.
With all the new computerized sensors and shyte you just don't notice it as much.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:39 am

Funny though...I have been seeing more and more gas stations actually advertising 100% gas with no ethanol.....I wondered about that as the price was comparable to the ethanol blends....I thought way back when they mandated ethanol as a replacement for MTB or whatever they gas additive was...so how can they sell 100% gas now...or is it another scam????
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

https://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/jamesr100/Bike%20Stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:22 am

Well, last I knew, Chevron had no ethanol gas. But the attendant told me that was not going to last long as the govt was forcing them to add ethanol. I haven't checked in awhile though. Maybe someone found a loophole.

If you know where they have no ethanol for sure, let me know. Bella HATES ethanol, and actually prefers 103. Wink
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:38 am

I've found the price of that 100% gas to be quite a bit higher than the ethanol version. Sad
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:12 am

There is a station near Robertsdale.....I take 59 north of 90 and turn left on 54...down a mile or so. Prices seem to be at the discount level. There are a few other ones I have seen,,,the station in Seminole now advertises 100% gas and a few other ones as well.
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

https://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/jamesr100/Bike%20Stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonny Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:15 am

Kaiser Texaco in Foley has it, bought some a few days ago $3.72 gal. It's across from Doering Tire on 59, the Texaco sign is gone for some reason.

pure-gas.org has a list of stations that has it. I don't know how up to date it is though. It reminds me of back in the 70's when "leaded" gas started disappearing and people with hotrods and motorcycles were flocking to the few remaining stations that carried it. Now we consider un-leaded non-ethanol to be "real" gas. Sunoco 260 was the s#it. Came out of the hose purple.
Sonny
Sonny
Skid Mark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down