South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some help everyone

5 posters

Go down

Need some help everyone Empty Need some help everyone

Post by tully_mars Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Everyone,

I need to find a motorcycle junkyard. It isn't hard to find out where junked cars go, but what about bikes?

So, what am I looking for? I need a scrap fuel pump from an 06 or newer HD Sportster. I have a preventative maintenance project to be done on the chopper like coat the inside of the fuel tank to prevent it from rusting. Something HD does but Thunder Mountain does not. So before I have to restore the bike I am going to make it last.

The problem: the fuel pump is in the tank because it is a fuel injected bike and if I coat the tank with the fuel pump in it then guess what, the fuel pump will be ruined and I will have to buy a new one at $250. If I can find a wrecked bike and remove an old one from the tank I can swap it out for the coating process and then put my good pump back in when I am done.

Oh, and if you are asking what I am going to put in the tank, check out Por15. This stuff is the bomb I have found with all my research so far. I have talked to guys with 15 year old coatings and no problems of peeling or melting away. In fact, they recommend like I am doing to use this stuff on a new tank and you will never have a problem with rust in a fuel tank.

Thanks guys and gals.

TM
tully_mars
tully_mars
tag along

Back to top Go down

Need some help everyone Empty Re: Need some help everyone

Post by Phantom Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:59 pm

I did something similar on my wife's sporty tank. I just got a cheap fuel cap and put it on and then dumped the stuff in the pump hole. I sloshed it around in the tank and then let it run back out the pump hole and then trimmed off the drippies once it was dry. Worked like a charm, plus that big hole lets you see inside to make sure it is coating good.
Phantom
Phantom
Admin

http://www.samcsociety.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tully_mars Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Phantom wrote:I did something similar on my wife's sporty tank. I just got a cheap fuel cap and put it on and then dumped the stuff in the pump hole. I sloshed it around in the tank and then let it run back out the pump hole and then trimmed off the drippies once it was dry. Worked like a charm, plus that big hole lets you see inside to make sure it is coating good.

That is a pretty good idea. I wonder if I could take some starboard and just make a plate cover and seal it off. I am just trying to protect the paint from the chemicals. Starboard is like plastic wood and is very easy to work with. I could cut out and make a one piece fuel pump base, get a gasket and mount it to the tank. Then drill a smaller whole in it to pour the chemicals in and out of it versus using the fuel cap.

TM
tully_mars
tully_mars
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack the Bagger Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:25 pm

that is most definetly the route instead of another pump , all yer wanting is to seal that opening when ya put the stuff in ..

Ya know about the fuel system being pressurized and all , right ??

If ya dont have a service manual , I'll shoot ya the pages on that from Sweetie's 07 manual
Jack the Bagger
Jack the Bagger
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by tully_mars Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Ironically I just bought a Sporty service manual, so it will pay for itself quick. Thanks for that heads up. Thanks for the offer on the pages. Still would like to find an old scrap pump if anyone knows where to look for one.

Thanks,
tully_mars
tully_mars
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by misfit Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Try Escambia Motor Cycle, 251-867-8506. It's in Brewton. He has a HUGE bone yard, if he doesn't have anything, I'm sure he can tell you where to look.
misfit
misfit
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by tully_mars Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:59 pm

misfit wrote:Try Escambia Motor Cycle, 251-867-8506. It's in Brewton. He has a HUGE bone yard, if he doesn't have anything, I'm sure he can tell you where to look.

Bummer, I called and they only have metrics. He didn't know where the HDs went.
tully_mars
tully_mars
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Google j&n cycles. They're on moffet rd.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tully_mars Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:00 am

Just want to thank everyone and give them an update on my tank preventative maintenance project. JSteele and I worked on the chopper tank this weekend and so far I have a successful coating job. Was very stressful because I was worried about the protecting the paint so much, but in the end it came out well.

I used POR15 (www.por15.com) to coat the inside of the tank, this stuff seems to be pretty good. It is a nice silver inside now. If you go to HDforums.com and search on POR15 you will find a ton of people who have used it. Some of them claim that they did tanks 15 years ago and they are having no issues. It is apparently better than just doing a lining stuff since it is supposed to bond with the metal and any rust. I will say this, the coating is very metallic like, it looked like metallic paint. But it isn't paint because on my make shift funnel I tried to scratch it off. Stuff is hard as a rock! Extremely tough so I am hoping for some long term durability.

Btw, this stuff is ethanol resistant too.

I ended up doing the coating without a fuel pump, and just put duct tape over the fuel pump opening several times. I had a few leaks here and there but jumped on them quickly with a soapy cloth then wiped dry with another one. Just letting it cure the 96 hours per directions and will put it all back together.

Thanks everyone,

TM
tully_mars
tully_mars
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum