South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

+10
JSteele
camo
crispy
01YZF6
ZombieNNN
Paladin
weirdbeard
hayweed
Dragon
joeyputt
14 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 2 Empty Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 am

Just kidding with you on the one up, but that is what drives everyone that loves building to the next level and keeps them driven to try new and better things! I get what you mean on the width of that bit and the fine details. I am sure what you were going for at first was more like the shotgun and handgun patterns you mentioned inspired the thought, but I have to say this is very unique and seems to fit the scale of a bike better. To be honest i think small details just get lost in a wash of the look of a whole when dealing with an object the size of a bike. This size scroll work fits the part to me. I say stick with the floral work you are doing now, keep the theme cohesive. Keep the big picture in mind, if you get too busy on that one part, then you make others to mach, they will have to be busy too, then the work as a whole is overwhelming to the eye. With it the way it is designed now, you could use that floral pattern a touch on the corners of the valve cover, on the case cover for the right side, and maybe even a bit on the front of the bottom of the lower case. This would tie it all in nice and not be too much to take in, allowing other key points to have their moment in the spotlight too, such as paint, mechanical work and so on.

Back to top Go down

DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 2 Empty Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!

Post by joeyputt Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:15 am

I like your vision man! I got to get my lazy azz out in the shop...time to make money and pay the bills and all I want to do is work on this cover! I will check back in a bit...talk to you soon bro!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

http://www.dwmsracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I got it drawn up now if I can just find time to cut it! oh well maybe tonight hopefully! Got to get back in the shop!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:37 pm

Well I only had a few to play this evening but I cut a little, I like the layout but am not really happy with the floral design...I may cut another cover...I don't know...

Here is the rough cut, still needs a lot of finishing!
DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 2 100_4614-1
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:40 pm

I think it looks freaking awesome, but now you gotta do the rest of the motor. Shocked
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Clean it up and polish it out first brother, I think it is really good! I am telling you man, the pattern and all just seems to fit well together and have a nice cohisiveness to it all. I really like that floral pattern, but in the end it is yours, and don't let me talk you into something your not happy with. It is worth being proud of though, so don't sell your craftsmanship short!

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks guys you all are awesome, I was just hoping for a little classier looking pattern, it had a lot different look to it in pencil...hell maybe I am just staring at it too much...I love the way it looks at a glance.

I have some other pieces and accents planned out for the motor, was looking it over today, a couple small shields and another helmet and floral accents here and there...

joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:03 pm

I think once it is all polished up, in the engraving and all, it will class it up and take it to a new level!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:16 pm

Wow.
Yep that is what I was thinking as well on the placement of the floral accents. I wouldn't cut another one... Unless you've got another 550 to put it on. The floral design is so different, and it looks great. It just oozes class and it's clean as hell. If you go a different direction, you'd better have that one mounted under a spotlight in your garage so that people can see it!
And no I haven't gotten a bit yet, but payday is Friday, and on my list of things to buy is the new paint for Dolores and an engraving bit! I've got some spare covers laying around and a few ideas I've been rolling around in my head.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks Deviant! I guess that calls it, I will use this cover and thanks for the input guys. I am thinking of going a little different route with the finish though as this engine has had polished covers as long as I rode it so I really want a change...have not really decided but am considering this...

1-repaint the engine block and head back to factory silver
2-paint the cylinders black
3-sand flat and polish the edges of the cooling fins
4-stay with the chrome points and stator cover
5-engrave all the following parts and instead of polishing, paint or powdercoat the chain cover, stator cover, clutch cover, valve cover, intakes,etc. all a gold color that would match the inverted gold front forks...

I have just always run polished covers and really want a change...this is not definate but a thought I am seriously considering but am definately running polished rims and swingarm.
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:41 pm

Hahahaha, that funny because I just talked to my PC guy and I will be sending him my brake rotor, Caliper, dust covers, rear sprocket, and maybe the beauty cover to get it done in a PC that matches the gold anodized aliminum on modern sport bikes and racing rims! Hahaha

Dude you are so in my head right now.....watch out..its a scary place!

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:47 pm

heh he sounds like you have good taste man! I am starting to think we are two peas in a pod and yeah if your head is anything like mine I feel for you brother 'cause it is a very scary place! hahaha

I have to get back to work for a few I have been burninfg the midnight oil all week as I promised 4 rims to be done by the weekend...I will check back in a few!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Oh yeah...how long before you get your stuff coated? It will be a little bit but I think I am going to get a powdercoater so we can do it here, nothing big but will be able to do most bike parts. Was going to wait until the first of the year but am going to try and swing it a little earlier now that I have started this engine...
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:11 pm

I am not sure, but it will not be any time soon. No earlier than december though. I have a fellow bike builder buddy that owes me a favor for some "save his ass parts" I sent him about 6 months ago. Only thing is, I only get a discounct, its not free or anything, and he is in Chicago.....so I have to box all the parts and ship them!

If your set up, I may could swing coming over there around the christmas holidays and letting you coat it while I am there...I will do the clean and blast work for a discount, or swap out some other work or something.....maybe we can work something out since we both want to use the same color. Keep me posted through PM. I will also try and get you some other business to as there are no good PC guys around here that charge anything close to fair prices.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Cool I will let you know when I get it...
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:00 pm

OK I finally got those rims done so back to the 550! I went ahead and got the engine up on the stand so I can give her a good cleaning before I pull the rest of the covers for engraving and painting the block. Thought I would post up some before pic's before I start cleaning so here you go...
DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 2 100_4644
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:48 pm

Well I had just a few to play this evening so I started the rough cut engraving on the clutch cover...

rough cut still needs a lot of finishing but here is what I got done today
DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 2 100_4676-1
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 pm

I can't wait to see this thing when its done. What are you going to do about the stator cover thing? Suspect
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:58 pm

Looking good, how long does it take you to do the engraving start to finish, say like the whole primary cover. How many hours do you think you have in it? Keep it up! make some more time to work on it Joey, I am on edge to see the engraving done! Are you thinking of engraving on the fork lowers too?

And WB bought up a good point, the points cover could get some work too, if you search there are some finned aluminum ones available on ebay. You could shave off the fins and make a real eye catcher there!

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:17 pm

Well the first helmet I did was the shifter side of the bike and the one I did today was for the other side of the bike in the same place, I have shields that go with each of the helmets so I was thinking about putting the one shield on the stator cover with scrollwork around it and on the other side the other shield on the points cover...was going to run the original chrome covers in these spaces but I really want the shields on there! and that will put one shield and helmet on each side of the bike each of which represent a branch of my family's heritage. Definately doing the front forks as well as many other pieces! Twisted I have never timed myself on the engraving but it really does not take very long...I will time the next piece I do and post it up with the pic for you, I did the primary a little here and there and drawing in pencil in between so I am really unsure how long I really have in it but it is not very bad timewise.

And here is the final decision on finish as I have finally made up my mind and it is what I really wanted to originally do but thought it would be much more expensive than it turns out to be and after researching today I found a very inexpensive kit that I am going to order!!! I am going to polish all of the parts I engrave to a mirror finish and then GOLD INLAY all of the engraving!
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:30 am

gold inlay huh? Sounds like a great idea! The helmet looks sick as well... keep it up dude!

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks Deviant! I thought it would have been really expensive but it turns out a kit is very, very affordable! Be the first time I ever tried it so I am anxious to get it here! But in all actuality it will be a bit before I am ready for it as I have to finish engraving and polishing all the covers first.

You find a bit yet?
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Had a few to play this morning so I stared putting the initials of our family race team, DWMS, on the clutch cover, it did not come out like I wanted but I am still new to this engraving deal so I guess I can not complain too much and it still needs finishing but here is what I got so far...

Like the other photos it is the rough cut and needs a lot of finishing...I figured I would rough cut all the covers and then come back and fine detail them all...
DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!    NEW PHOTO! - Page 2 100_4691-2
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyputt Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Took the rocker box, points cover and points, and the stator cover with the stator off today and started washing the engine to get it ready for paint, I also sanded a little on the heads fin edges to prepare them for polishing. Still need to pull the clutch cover and do a little more cleaning of the engine...photo in a few
joeyputt
joeyputt
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:36 pm

That clutch cover is awesome.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next