South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP!

2 posters

Go down

Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Empty Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP!

Post by SaltEClam Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Hello all,

I'm a fairly experienced rider when it come to the dirt. I'm 27, been riding my whole life on dirt bikes and now I'm exploring moving to the street. Though this city is full of awful drivers, I'm considering buying a 2009 Yamaha FZ6R. The bike on its second owner, who hasn't rode it too much and is an older gentleman, which has kept the mileage exceptionally low. However... the bike was dropped, on at least a couple occasions... resulting in some damage.

Queue pictures:
Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Img_1710
Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Img_2910
Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Img_6810
Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Img_7710
Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Img95110
Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Img95111
Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Img95112
Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Img95610
Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Img95810

From what I can tell from these pictures and what the owner has told me, this is what I've determined needs to be replaced... Note that he has a beginning offer of $3200.

Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! 110

Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! 210

Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! 310

Note: I have to get mirrors for the bike to be street legal…
Average Price: ($2766.57 + $2819.19)/2 = $2792.88  
Note: I found a 2009 FZ6R on Cycle Trader for $3999.00 in “Like New Condition” with similar mileage
So $3999.00 - $1118.43 = $2880.57
I’m thinking the max I’d pay, given nothing else is wrong, is $2800

What do you think?

SaltEClam

Back to top Go down

Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Empty Re: Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP!

Post by hayweed Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:43 pm

I would say about 2500. No more than 2800. You can always take it to a local dealer to have it inspected.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP! Empty Re: Mobile, Trying to get on the street.... NEED HELP!

Post by SaltEClam Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:48 pm

Thank you, hayweed.

Only concern with local dealers is their poor service reputation. Buying a new bike has always been great. But when I've taken my past Yahama's in to Hall's, I feel like I always get the shaft.

SaltEClam

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:53 pm

I understand what you mean. Really. A bike is a bike. If you ride it and it runs good. Shifts good. It probably just cosmetic.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SaltEClam Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:17 am

I'm going to view the bike in a couple days (Saturday). Bringing a buddy who is more knowledgeable than I when it comes to street bikes... though they should be relatively the same. Will do a test ride to "feel" things out. My friend basically said the same thing about if it rides fine, it's cosmetic...saying that it was kinda unnecessary to take it to a professional. Just nervous about buying a used bike.

Funny thing is, I was looking to buy a new 2014 Honda CBR650F and asked my insurance rep what the rate would be...

he gave me a quote, and then offered me this bike at less than half the rate/yr...thing is...this is his bike, hahaha.

SaltEClam

Back to top Go down

Post by SaltEClam Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:20 am

I think that this Yamaha would be a better beginner bike too. It's more of a touring bike than a sport bike like the CBR650F. And neither are supersports...

My aim is to learn, not die trying to reach hyper-speed

SaltEClam

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:12 am

The best thing to learn on is one that has been dropped already. That way, if you drop it, the damage was already there. Lol. Good luck.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:43 am

Most of us are now on gulf Coast riders on Facebook. You can look us up there also.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down