South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Gentle, Peaceful, Pretty Ride

3 posters

Go down

A Gentle, Peaceful, Pretty Ride Empty A Gentle, Peaceful, Pretty Ride

Post by TheOldGuy Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:56 pm

About as different from The Tail as can be and still be two-lane rural.  This goes from Pensacola to Geneva, which is sort of beteween our area and Dothan.  There is a decent cafe Dee and I ate at and two other interesting-sounding eateries there.

US90 east through Crestview to Mossey Head (about halfway between Crestview and Defuniak Springs)  The little BBQ place on the left just before you leave 90 is good eating and the owner rides a Goldwing.

Less than a mile past the BBQ place, maybe less than half a mile, Co1085 is your left off US90 (Garmon MapSource shows it as Co285 but the sinage is Co1085).

Co1087 to Richardson Road.  This comes up in a sweeper clockwise bow after a long straight stretch; TR (turn right) onto Richardson.  Follow Richardson to US331; TR

Go a very short distance, maybe a quarter mile, to Co 185; TL (yeah -- "turn left")

Co185 to FL83  (another very short distance); TL

Co 185 to FL72; TR; FL72 becomes AL27; AL27 into Geneva

All paved, almost all surfaces very good, a little only good.

The cafe we ate at is through Geneva (highway signs will lead you in a counter-clockwise direction to AL52; "our" cafe was east on 52 to the first significantintersection.  Not four stars, but the catfish and sides were pretty good.  Buffet or menu.

The BBQ place is to the left up AL52, on the right, sort near the edge of town.

You'll pass a "steak and seafood" restaurant on your right approaching downtown Geneva.

If you study map programs in close-up scale you can find one or two variations to this route that come out at Mossey Head.  We went up this way and came back about 1/3 a different route.

Passed the first ride, 8 bikes, I've ever seen that was obviously lost as Hogan's goat.
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

A Gentle, Peaceful, Pretty Ride Empty Re: A Gentle, Peaceful, Pretty Ride

Post by Miss G Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Sounds very rural...which is a good thing. Not sure about all those turns... I's prolly resemble 1 of those lost souls you mentioned. lol
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:21 pm

That's why I have a Grey Plastic Sextant.
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by river rat Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:59 am

Sounds like a good route . pirat 
river rat
river rat
Burnt Tire

Back to top Go down

A Gentle, Peaceful, Pretty Ride Empty Ressurexit !

Post by TheOldGuy Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:23 am

My gawd, signs of life! Hello, River Rat.

Updates:

"Beano," the BMW K1200LT, is running beautifully. It was ailing until the morning I started to ride it over to the dealer in Baton Rouge, but within 100 miles it was running better than when I bought it. I suspect something blew out of an injector, or its gremlin died.

The Guzzi is also running beautifully. I get on it when I have the desire to feel like I'm riding a motorcycle instead of a two-wheeled car, but I'm trying to trade it for a middle-weight dual-sport of enduro so I can explore dirt roads, and have a deal cooking on a 2000 KLR650. Ugly olive drab but owned by an apparent maintenance fanatic.

Have quit riding in big rides except maybe for some particularly good cause.

STILL looking for pleasent, retired riding companions for weekdays/working hours. Anyone in a similar situation should not be bashful about getting in contact.

TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down