South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Newb - Bay Minette

+10
Scadoodle
hayweed
beachbum_
Paladin
Miss G
T-Ray
Dragon
DirtFreak
72shovelhead
Melissakins
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Newb - Bay Minette Empty New Newb - Bay Minette

Post by Melissakins Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:17 pm

Howdy Smile I'm Melissa, Saltcreep's wife Smile

New to bikes, I have a 98 Honda Shadow Spirit. I'd been riding it in a school parking lot and was doing quite well. However, I had a fall from mine after doing one of the no-no's; I looked down and froze up when I realized I was headed towards a curb instead of the direction I had intended to go in. Brain just went uhhhhhh affraid ...then said, you are about to crash, this is going to hurt and go limp when you do. What a Face

I crashed, it hurt and I went limp while falling.

Bruises on my body, torn tendons and a skinned knuckle though my gloves. It really hurt my ego and since then I've not ridden solo.

I'm gearing myself up for a course at the Eastern Shore Harley center, but to be quite honest, am scared. Plain and simple. Embarassed

Hubs posted a pic of me on my ride which also got bruised up but is now back in business. I just need to have a stern talking to with myself and get back on....

Melissakins
Melissakins

Back to top Go down

New Newb - Bay Minette Empty Re: New Newb - Bay Minette

Post by 72shovelhead Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Sorry you had a fall, but sounds like you are alright. Main thing is to get back on and work out your fears. Far better to fall over improving your riding skills than having some cage driver run you over. build up your confidence and you will get thru find and really enjoy riding. Heck I was scared sh^^less after being creamed broadside many years ago, took time but I would not let one bad incident keep me off bikes and riding. I have laid a bike down several times riding beyond my skills in the old days but would not have missed a single day of riding. looking forward to when my wife starts to ride. She will also be taking a riders course but on hold for now while we work out some things. You can get through the course and have a lot of good times ahead of you riding with saltcreep, enjoy the ride,,
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissakins Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:57 pm

That's me, scared sh**less Smile I'll be frank LOL I *am* going to take the course and I may be relegated to riding at 20 mph (or slower screams part of me) and in a parking lot for a while and that'll be okay too Smile
Melissakins
Melissakins

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Big parking lots deserted are great, then slow rides on deserted streets or long straight roads. Don;t rush and get to know your bikes turning,stopping abilities. I actually like to go real slow just moving along keeping it balanced upright. You can do it & saltcreep will help you through this.
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtFreak Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Welcome. Like they say," there's two kinds of riders. Those that have crashed & those that will crash."
Just keep a positive attitude & you'll get riding in no time. I taught my wife to ride & everything went good. I'm a horrible teacher & tried to push her offroad too fast. She wiped out so many times (in the sand) that she gave up riding offroad. I still get a big smile when she rides on the street.
DirtFreak
DirtFreak
Bent Wheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Aye, I also tell people "you WILL drop it, it is just a matter of when."

Taking the course is a great way to get back into the groove. Should be soon as possible. The longer you wait, the harder it is going to be to get back on. Wink

Good luck! Very Happy
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:00 pm

Welcome from Mobile ! And I know you already saw and responded to the post about my wifes accident this weekend. Being scared is actually probably normal. It will also make you more alert the next time. Ive seen my wife make some mistakes that appeared to be minor but could have been costly.
You always have to be thinking ahead of the game and also helps to predict what those in cages going down the road might do as well. Im surprised I even get to enjoy my rides I stay so busy watching out for anything and everything.....

Like I told my wife her little accident yesterday will make her a better rider
tomorrow. There was many lessons that could be learned from that. I bet even now you can look back and see what you did wrong and what you could've done differently. Your fear will go away with time and confidence will take over.
But in the long run you will be a better rider because of it.

I've also seen people that have been riding for many years make rookie mistakes. So dont feel bad like someone said its not a matter of IF its just
a matter of WHEN. The last time a had a accident on a bike I was like 14 years
old and I ran into a parked car, lol... Im 44 now..........

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Ray Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah i was really timid the first time I got back on a bike after my wreck. Have fun with the course. My Buddy just boughta sporster and he is signed up to take the class at eastern shore HD i believe feb 6-8. maybe you'll be in the same class. Good Luck!
T-Ray
T-Ray
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissakins Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:09 pm

Vulcanrider wrote: The last time a had a accident on a bike I was like 14 years
old and I ran into a parked car, lol... Im 44 now..........

Yeah, well...I left out the part where I ran into our SUV that was parked beyond the curb and kind of went over the hood a little bit Smile Just a little bit, you know. Hubs just kinda got out of the way and came up to me after I'd stopped. He leaned over me and asked, are you okay?

All I could think to say was, my hand hurts and how is the car? Duuuuuuuuur. Then, how do my legs look cause they were hurting like I had run into something and flown over the handlebars. At least I went limp... Embarassed

Melissakins
Melissakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Welcome from Robertsdale!

Within a month of getting my bike, I laid it down in gravel. I don't know if I did the limp thing but I had that fetal position going well. lol! I also had a 25 yr break in riding AND took a HUGE step up in bike size when I hopped back on. The more you can put your delicate little derriere in that saddle, the better off you'll be. I'd be happy to putt around a parking lot with you any old time. Just give me a holla! What a Face
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Welcome from the grand metropolis that IS Silverhill. Razz

I am (for all intents and purposes) on my first bike now. I am self taught and I really wish that I could have let go of the $$ to take the course but I am a cheap bastard. I have dropped it a grand total of 4 times. All of them were less than 5 mph, Three were in the trailer park where I live and once on the side of the road trying to "realign" my from tire.

The most important thing for you to do now is to sit on the bike. Even if it is just sitting still in the driveway, first just sit, then crank and just sit... so on and so forth. But I do think that the course will help you.
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by beachbum_ Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:29 pm

there is only two kinda riders the ones that drop em and the ones that lie.
the course will really help

beachbum_

beachbum_
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Very well put bum.
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:02 am

Welcome from west mobile. The longer you wait to get back on the worse your fears get. Good luck and ride safe.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:47 am

My most embarrasing moment was I had pulled up at work on my bike an my phone started ringing so I turned off bike and set on it while taking the call. After I got off the phone I decided to get off the bike and had forgot to put the stand down. Needless to say I got to find out the hard way just how heavy my bike really is. It never hit the ground but I was barely able to hold it off the ground by about 8-10 inches. And after straining everything that was in me and between me I managed to pick the bike back up by myself. Talking about one being embarrased and two being worn out, geeezz. That was a lesson learned for sure... I have no idea where my head was at that day, lol......

Back to top Go down

New Newb - Bay Minette Empty Help Me Obi-Wan

Post by Melissakins Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Wellp...I am now registered for the MSF class the first weekend in Feb at Eastern Shore Harley Davidson.

Lord.Help.Me.
Melissakins
Melissakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissakins Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Miss G wrote:Welcome from Robertsdale!

Within a month of getting my bike, I laid it down in gravel. I don't know if I did the limp thing but I had that fetal position going well. lol! I also had a 25 yr break in riding AND took a HUGE step up in bike size when I hopped back on. The more you can put your delicate little derriere in that saddle, the better off you'll be. I'd be happy to putt around a parking lot with you any old time. Just give me a holla! What a Face

Let me take my class I just signed up for and i'll holler at you Smile
Melissakins
Melissakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Welcome from Fairhope
Scadoodle
Scadoodle
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:16 pm

Melissakins wrote:
Miss G wrote:Welcome from Robertsdale!

Let me take my class I just signed up for and i'll holler at you Smile

Hey...I understand the fear.... 1 year ago I was YOU! Almost 11,000 miles later...I'm having a freaking blast and you will too!!! I can't wait to show you some awesome back roads. What a Face
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Yeah I have ridden with this crazy lady. Razz
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:27 am

Paladin wrote:Yeah I have ridden with this crazy lady. Razz

Crazy..... lol!
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by saltcreep Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:11 am

Yay! you guys helped.. I didn't think she'd ever sign up Very Happy
New Newb - Bay Minette 207New Newb - Bay Minette 207New Newb - Bay Minette 207

I sent her a link to Vulcanrider's story about his wife's recent mishap.. see it happens. I think the class looks like a lot of fun, those little Buells look neat.
saltcreep
saltcreep
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:30 pm

saltcreep wrote:Yay! you guys helped.. I didn't think she'd ever sign up Very Happy
New Newb - Bay Minette 207New Newb - Bay Minette 207New Newb - Bay Minette 207

I sent her a link to Vulcanrider's story about his wife's recent mishap.. see it happens. I think the class looks like a lot of fun, those little Buells look neat.

There's even a course for advanced riders. I keep toying around with maybe taking one. I don't think ESHD offers it but I know there's one done by the MSF.
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by crispy Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:58 am

welcome to the forum from satsuma
crispy
crispy

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissakins Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:09 pm

ESHD does offer a one day course for experienced riders - it's one you use your own bike in. Larry from there told me about it.

Anyone here taken the basic course? What was it like? What were the classrooms like? ie how tough?
Melissakins
Melissakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next