South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wife wants her own bike &*^*!!! need advice

+12
Miss G
Bamagirl
TheOldGuy
Scadoodle
T-Ray
Paladin
hayweed
ZombieNNN
tully_mars
Dragon
jmunsey
72shovelhead
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wife wants her own bike &*^*!!! need advice Empty Wife wants her own bike &*^*!!! need advice

Post by 72shovelhead Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:08 pm

I should have know it would happen, wife wants to learn to ride and get her own bike. Input from the female riders in the group greatly needed before we go any further on riding courses and bikes own and ridden. I guess I will have to hold off on my other bike purchase until this is done.
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Wife wants her own bike &*^*!!! need advice Empty Re: Wife wants her own bike &*^*!!! need advice

Post by jmunsey Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:02 pm

I actually met my wife on a poker run. She was riding her own bike long before I met her and still does. Sold her 1998 Honda VLX 600 (fantastic starter bike) in 2004 and bought her a Honda VTX 1300.
first thing...make her take the MSF course to learn to ride.

Another angle.....I knew a couple many years ago.....the guy finally upgraded from a Sporty to a Road King and gave the Sporty to the wife. She learned to ride it but only road for a short time and decided that driving the bike was not her thing. She preferred to be a passenger and not the driver as she could then relax, see the scenery, party more and not have that driving responsibility.
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

https://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/jamesr100/Bike%20Stuff/

Back to top Go down

Wife wants her own bike &*^*!!! need advice Empty Re: Wife wants her own bike &*^*!!! need advice

Post by Dragon Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:54 pm

I have one sweet Kawasaki Vulcan 500 for sale..... will work with a member on the price. Cool

IMO, a 500 Kaw truly is a great starter bike, there are zero bad reviews and they are not available anymore and it is difficult to find many for sale.

http://samcs.mmorpgheroes.com/t1421-better-than-new-kawasaki-vulcan-500

For a member....I would take 3K. Smile
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tully_mars Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Can't Start too small. 2nd the Riders course! My wife started with a 250 Rebel then moved up.

My wife rode the Rebel for a month then sold it, was worth it. The bike is so small it doesnt intimidate and is very light. After she got used to driving she moved up very quickly.

There is always a Rebel on craigslist. Buy it, ride, then sell it for what you paid for it. Cheap to repair if it gets dropped too.

tully_mars
tully_mars
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:26 pm

Thank you all( jmunsey, Dragon & Tully) for the advice,

The riders course will be a must, and I sure do not want to re install the crash bars on the shovelhead and turn her loose with it. Plus I cannot afford to buy a bike she cannot or will not ride, or decides later she would rather still ride on the back. I do like the ideal of a small light weight bike for her to build her riding skills before moving up to something larger also easy to sell. This was a surprise to me when she told me so and I still am unsure how serious she is.
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieNNN Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:21 am

Teach her on a dirt bike, then go from there.
ZombieNNN
ZombieNNN
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:50 am

My wife is a horse expert...I am not....thought she could teach me to ride one...after about 10 minutes of her "teaching" I never wanted anything to do with a horse and was really wanting to strangle her. Kinda like the old adage of teaching yer wife to drive a car. Something like that is better left to the pros!

I think a small midsize bike is best. I really like that little Honda twinstar as it is a great learning bike....but once you learn you will soon outgrow it. Either way.....a cheaper used bike is best to start with as you will not cry near as much if it gets dropped compared to a more expensive bike.

That is the great advantage of the MSF course....pay thye fee and they provide the bikes to learn on....if you drop their bike.....it is still their bike!!
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:52 am

http://mobile.craigslist.org/mcy/2769232002.html

I would buy this.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:00 am

yes indeed. It has been on there for a bit, he may even take less for it now.
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:51 pm

My wife has a 06 Yamaha Virago 250. Thats been a great starter bike for her. And it does anything she wants it to do and goes any where as well. The course is a MUST ! . You buy these small bikes usually cheap and can sell them quckly if you need to and not lose any $$$$..

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Appreciate the support, guys.
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Ray Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:12 pm

You never know she may get on a bike during the course and decide she really doesn't want to ride after all. Now sure how soon she wants to get in a class but, my buddy is signed up for a course the beginning of Feb at eastern shore HD. Good Luck with what ever decision is made!
T-Ray
T-Ray
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 pm

The replies and advice has been great guys, thank you all and everyone.
I for sure will be putting her in the riders course for the very two reasons members have already said....to keep the peace..ie no way in hell will I attempt to teach her to ride ..sure fire fight and possible seperation!! and second if she drops the bike ..hey it is theirs. After the course and she still wants to ride then I will get her an inexpensive beginners bike to build her riding skills on before moving up.
And I am making note of the bikes you guys are advising me on for possible choice.

Thanks again everyone!!
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:08 am

My wife, Debi, has ridden her own bike for years so if she wants to talk to her...just PM me......fair warning though....my wife is basically evil!!!!!

;-)
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:35 am

I got my wife a scooter! Think about it, If she were to go out and get you a bike, it would be a scooter! She loves it though, doesn't like to shift.
Definitely riders course, She'll learn to ride safely, I think most of them supplies the bikes too. She need to get what she feels safe on.
I'll be praying for ya!
Scadoodle
Scadoodle
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:26 am

Any decent major-brand Japanese, generally-cruiser-style (non-squid) light-to-midsize with low seat height (unless she's very tall) ought to do.

I think low seat height is important for a lady beginner. Low speed maneuvering is very intimidating to a beginner and low seat height and moderate weight is crucial for early confidence.
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:40 pm

There is still one American made bike out there....750cc...has auto trans so no shifting required. More pricey than a Jab bike but pretty cool. Those are the Ridley's.
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:43 pm

We looked at one, she wants one, high dollar, they stopped making them but there is a lot of them around still. I'm working on getting her one. I've got to get a car first. But I'm not really looking yet.
Scadoodle
Scadoodle
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Bamagirl Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:23 am

1) MSF course is a wise decision!
2) Personal opinion: Suzuki S40 has been a great first bike for me (not planning to part with it anytime in the forseeable future) Very Happy I'm a 5'3" female and it fits like it was made for me, not too heavy either, but still has enough power without being scary.
Bamagirl
Bamagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Bama girl,

Thank you for the insight, yes she will be taking a MSF course very first thing and then we will she what bike fits her best and that she is comfortable with.

Thanks again!
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss G Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 am

My first bike was a Honda Shadow 500. I could put that bike anywhere...pretty light and never had to put a wrench to it even after 3 years of hard riding. Good luck Stoney.
Miss G
Miss G
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Miss G wrote:My first bike was a Honda Shadow 500. I could put that bike anywhere...pretty light and never had to put a wrench to it even after 3 years of hard riding. Good luck Stoney.

Thank you, for some reason see seems to favor a sporty and I had nothing to say. I think after she takes the MSF course she will have a better ideal on what she wants be it a sporty or some other bike as long as it is safe and dependable.
72shovelhead
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Paladin Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Do you mean a sportster? Have you looked into the vulcan that Dragon is selling?
Paladin
Paladin
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by saltcreep Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 pm

We went with the Honda Shadow, bullet proof and there are so many around at a good price, not hard to find one you can get your money back from if she decides it is not for her. My thought was we could get something nicer later and get everything spent for the Shadow back again.

We got the 1100, it sounds like a bit much I guess, but I just can't imagine it getting any easier, the bike is easy to handle & low to the ground.

http://mobile.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=shadow&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Probably would have gotten a Rebel if I could have found one at a decent price at the time , but they seem to of been rare at the time.
saltcreep
saltcreep
road grime

Back to top Go down

Post by tully_mars Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:28 pm

If you are looking at something bigger than a Honda Rebel for a first bike, the Vulcan 500 like Dragon's would be a good choice if it fits her. I think anything over a 600 is a risk due to the weight. A light and easy to handle bike is the key to success for a new rider.
tully_mars
tully_mars
tag along

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next