South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experience with Alaska Leather (Buttpads)

3 posters

Go down

Experience with Alaska Leather (Buttpads) Empty Experience with Alaska Leather (Buttpads)

Post by TheOldGuy Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Bought a pillion buttpad from an individual. Liked it, wanted a rider's seat pad. Looked at Alaska Leather's website (alaskaleatheronline.com). Checked colors. The one I bought is clearly their silver. Sent them a photo of the one I bought for a color match, ordered a rider's seat. Got an e-mail back saying the seat I had was charcoal and stating they couldn't make a perfect color match because of the difference in dye lots. Charcoal? Surprised me, but they should know what they're talking about, right? The seat that came was nearly black -- clearly their charcoal. I phoned, complaining. I was told by a very cheerful, carefree lady that I had sent them a picture of a charcoal seat and the difference was due to dye lots and behond their control. Bullcrap. But, being the nice guy I am and liking the charcoal better than the silver on my black Valkyrie, I asked for a charcoal pillion. She agreed. While she was getting fresh information I though it was going to be a make-good. She didn't indicate I would have to pay for it until the very last thing when she asked to reconfirm my credit card number. Okay. I waited. The pillion cover came. It's a nice dark charcoal, a good match with the rider's seat, nothing like the silver pillion cover I bought locally and that they claimed was charcoal. And then I found that the forward securing strap on the rider's seat was too far forward and too short to work. The rider's seat won't secure.

The material is good. The covers are pretty. The workmanship is acceptable. But they I believe they were dishonest at worst or careless and uncaring at best about the colors, and were also careless in constructing the rider's seat to work install properly on the motorcycle specified.

No, I'm not going to ask them to correct anything. I've just sent them a photo of the three covers and expressed my opinion of their business ethics. I'm done with them. I'll modify the rider's cover so it will work. Be forewarned.

Anybody want a really nice pillion cover that fits an oversized, aftermarket bucket-shaped pillion seat? Mine is 19 inches front-to-back along the contour, 16 inches wide. The cover is a very pretty light pewter (silver) gray.
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Experience with Alaska Leather (Buttpads) Empty Re: Experience with Alaska Leather (Buttpads)

Post by Jack the Bagger Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:39 pm

never had any dealings with them , but know quite a few who have , and all were well pleased with them ..

I have a couple big squares of sheepskin that I cut close to fit and throw on the seat
Jack the Bagger
Jack the Bagger
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Experience with Alaska Leather (Buttpads) Empty Re: Experience with Alaska Leather (Buttpads)

Post by TheOldGuy Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:47 pm

I'd heard good things about them, too. That's why I was so surprised. In e-mails received from them since my initial post, they are still claiming the light pewterish color of my first pillion cover which is virtually identical to the silver they show as a stock color on their website, is charcoal. The difference is as dramatic as that between your bike's paint and its front forks as seen in your pic here. . . . what is, is.
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldGuy Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 am

Very belatedly I received an admission and an apology from Alaska Leather -- after I backed them into a corner with additional photographs. I still think they made a mistake, tried not to admit it, and didn't give a rat's transom about the situation they caused. Whatever.

I've found there's a finely perforated foam pad that serves all the same purposes -- cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, additional padding -- and doesn't hold water or look shaggy. The only place I've seen them so far as it Huals Bikes To Custom Trikes in Cantonment, on Pensacola's north side, but I'm sure there must be numerous other outlets for them locally. They're in the same price range as Alaska Leather's buttpads.
TheOldGuy
TheOldGuy
Seat Cushion

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:59 pm

I heard a skin is really good, never tried one.
Scadoodle
Scadoodle
Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down