South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I will have Apehangers !!!! I WILL!!!

4 posters

Go down

I will have Apehangers !!!!  I WILL!!! Empty I will have Apehangers !!!! I WILL!!!

Post by Guest Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:52 pm

So, I am new to the whole "Harley Experience", although I have had tons of other brands (Suzuki, Hyosung, UM, Honda, etc..) The only real thing I dont like about my new Road King, is the handlebars.

I subscribe to the school of thought (and there are TONS of varying opinions on this topic) that the most comfortable position of your arms while riding should be parallel to the road. This theory is that if the arms are up higher than shoulders, your hands will go number quicker, and if your arms are lower than your shoulders, your arms will feel fatiqued quicker. One way limits the flow of blood (i,e. circulation), the other way causes too much blood flow to your hands. ehhh - it makes sense to me and its what I do... Smile

So I measured the King and found out I should put on 12" apehangers to achieve the right ride for me. Now on every other bike, this is a 15 minute job. NOT THIS TIME. Rolling Eyes

Because of all the wiring hidden inside the stock beachbar handlebars, I opted for the color-coded wiring extensions and found a nice simple chrome 12" tall, 1" diameter handlebar. I waited semi-patiently for them to arrive, and dug into the project yesterday. What a mess. First, the handlebar clamps/risers are for 1 1/4" bar, although the area for the switchboxes and grips are set for 1". So either I modify the new bars to fit the risers or find another bar. I coulda swapped out the risers for 1" ones, but that would require even more disassembly of the front end, and I didnt wanna go that route.

So finally, I decided not to spend a gazillion dollars and get new bars or have the dealer do this project, and I went to Lowes and got a small piece of non-galvanized steel pipe (6" long, 1" inner diameter, $2.88). I chopped the new apehangers in half and slid each part thru one side of the steel pipe. I then welded the new bars to the pipe. Now I have 1 1/4" bars at the risers (which will be under the stock covers) and have the right bars for the grips and switch boxes.

Next... on to wiring.... no idea what waits for me there.... Laughing

Back to top Go down

I will have Apehangers !!!!  I WILL!!! Empty Re: I will have Apehangers !!!! I WILL!!!

Post by Guest Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:07 pm

lol Good Luck!

Back to top Go down

I will have Apehangers !!!!  I WILL!!! Empty Re: I will have Apehangers !!!! I WILL!!!

Post by Dragon Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Generally folk split a piece of pipe then weld that on where needed around the pipes, of course you would go for the overkill...lol!

You were supposed to bring it over and let me help.... Razz
But the wiring shouldn't be all that bad, just don't stretch it too far switching it around. Very Happy
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:50 pm

You should have bought new risers. It's a 20 minute change. You will probly end up doing this again because the bars won't be strait or something like that. Although I hope it turns out right the first time. Good luck. And let me know if I can do anything to help.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:37 pm

SUCCESS!!!!
I was right about the cables and wires. Once I got them out of the stock bar - they were fine as is. I tested everything and adjusted the new bar for fitment - everything is hunky-dory!

The bar is done straight - I have my apes - the world is a better place Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:42 am

Grats. Very Happy
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:04 am

Glad it worked out for you. My luck isn't that good. Congrats.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantom Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:05 am

Where is the pics?
Phantom
Phantom
Admin

http://www.samcsociety.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:27 pm

I forgot to take pictures. haha. will try to do it tonight if the sun holds out. Its such a better ride for me... love my apes!

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:39 pm

I was the same way when I took the beach bars off mine. SO much better. It is a night and day difference. Enjoy and ride safe.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:11 pm

it is - i swear even the seat is more comfortable with the apehangers now. Smile

pics:
I will have Apehangers !!!!  I WILL!!! SNV31533 I will have Apehangers !!!!  I WILL!!! SNV31535 I will have Apehangers !!!!  I WILL!!! SNV31536

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Well done. Very Happy
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Sweet. Looks and rides like a whole new bike doesn't it. I know mine did.
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:01 pm

oh man - cant tell ya what a difference it makes in overall happiness with the bike. It fits me now.... I just need to get new grips - the stock ones suck. I have some old school rubber coke bottle grips that Retro Cycles ordered for me. They called me and said they were in - gonna swing by before the BBQ (hopefully) Smile

I wanna do something new with the horn cover too... not sure what yet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Here ya go...
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:00 pm

ahhhh - some cool stuff there! Thanks Rod. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:03 am

More than welcome, Bro. Smile
Dragon
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:06 pm

ummmmm - so after a few months riding with the apehangers - they started to pit and rust thru the chrome. I know what youre thinking - it wasnt anywhere near where I welded and painted - just cheap bars. So rather than replace them with another pair, I opted to try something different. I grabbed a set of Tbars (8" ride, powdercoated black) and again went thru the wiring and crap. Its a sweeter ride - more aggressive posture now. I also changed the seat for a stock 2 piece seat off an '04 RK classic, ditched the huge chrome engine gaurd, made my own trailer hitch setup and I am currently working on building my own trailer (to tow behind the bike).

I guess i need to add some pictures huh? I didnt realize how long its been since i had been here... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Lotsa pics. Cool
hayweed
hayweed
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieNNN Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:17 pm

Yeah apes are a nice feel. Looking forward to the pics.
ZombieNNN
ZombieNNN
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:53 pm

Dayyum take notes on what you did. I'm wanting to do the same thing to my FatboyI will have Apehangers !!!!  I WILL!!! <a href=

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum