South Alabama Motorcycle Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For those that ride in florida. Motorcycle tag has to be mounted correctly

+2
01YZF6
camo
6 posters

Go down

For those that ride in florida. Motorcycle tag has to be mounted correctly Empty For those that ride in florida. Motorcycle tag has to be mounted correctly

Post by camo Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:08 pm

I cant get tot he link at work, but you can google it. If your tag is not on the back of your bike and mounted horizontally, they impound your bike. Not kidding. Check it out. Dont want anyone getting their ride impounded during bike week.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

For those that ride in florida. Motorcycle tag has to be mounted correctly Empty Re: For those that ride in florida. Motorcycle tag has to be mounted correctly

Post by 01YZF6 Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:25 pm

wow !!!

is this included for OUT OF STATE bikes, or if just registered in FL?

when I was at Thunder Beach there had to be 90% illegally mounted plates
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

For those that ride in florida. Motorcycle tag has to be mounted correctly Empty Re: For those that ride in florida. Motorcycle tag has to be mounted correctly

Post by Phantom Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Yeah, I noticed the same thing at Thunderbeach.... I wonder if it pertains to people coming in from out of state to spend money in Fl?
Phantom
Phantom
Admin

http://www.samcsociety.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Cant enforce a vehicle code to an out of state resident. Otherwise they could stop you for Alabama legal window tint in Florida where window tint is illegal. Thats just an example -

When I left law enforcement a few years ago you couldnt enforce equipment violations to out of state vehicles.

They do and can enforce the impounding and fining for doing wheelies and reckless speed - and they are very serious about it. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Yes they can enfoce it. its actually a federal law to have the tag displayed corectly. But florida upped the penalty to impounding.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Well crap. its not Florida, its daytona specifically. They have changed the law from impound to a VERY stiff fee. here it is::

“There is a non-moving infraction for having an improperly mounted license plate on a motorcycle,” says Sinclair. “Bike Week attracts thousands of motorcyclists from all over the country, and proves to be an easy target for Florida law enforcement officers to find and ticket violators unaware of Florida Motorcycle Laws.”

The plate must be at least 18" above the ground, be centrally located and mounted horizontally. The plate must be rigidly mounted and clearly visible from any angle behind the motorcycle. This means that plates mounted forward of the rear wheel, or on either side of the motorcycle, are in violation of the law. And, if a plate is mounted on a pivoting hanger it is also in violation of this vehicle code. The first time violation of this code is a fine of $1,141.00. The second infraction costs $2,500.00, the third costs $5,000 and loss of motorcycle license endorsement for 10 years.

Bike Week is a 10-day festival that expands throughout Volusia County. There are hundreds of events for motorcycle enthusiasts to enjoy. Bike Week now welcomes hundreds of thousands of visitors annually and is enjoyed by locals and motorcycle enthusiasts world wide

There seems to be some debate on dates when it was effected and repealed then effective again. Dont take my word for it. Check it out yourself. Frim what I am finding, the law in florida specifically was changed, now its just in daytona.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:09 pm

Here is a link of interest. I knew abotu Daytona passing the noise law becasue of the loud exhaust systems. But the tag thing was new to me whan I heard about it. My tag is where it is supposed to be, but I dont want others to get busted. here is a link with some useful information on it.

http://www.daytonamotorcycletraining.com/Florida-Motorcycle-laws.htm

Daytona specific and it talks about the tag being vertical adn all.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by 01YZF6 Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 pm

he first time violation of this code is a fine of $1,141.00. The second infraction costs $2,500.00, the third costs $5,000 and loss of motorcycle license endorsement for 10 years.

WOW!!! Mad
01YZF6
01YZF6
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Yip, they arent messin around. I believe its becasue people were making their tags unreadable and running from the police.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:29 am

How can a municipal ordinance override state and federal codes? Criminal and motor vehicle laws are regulated so that there arent small towns that can set their own fines such as $1,000,000 for speeding violations. Its also unbelievable that as an Alabama registered motor vehicle - that my car, truck, bike, etc has to abide by Florida registration rules. As an Alabama cop - I cant stop and ticket a Mississippi car for window tint violations because its against Alabama regs - or worse yet - against Mobile city ordinances.

I dont disagree with the law - I think the tag should be mounted as its described and my bike does (not the chopper - but it isnt on the road yet Smile ). Im just saying - I have been to bike week and biketoberfest for the last 5 years and my previous bikes didnt follow these rules.

When my out of town friends arrive tomorrow - they want to go to Pensacola for lotto tickets - I'll see if I can find a trooper and ask.

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:33 pm

I dont see whaer its over rideing anything. Tags are required to be mounted on the back of the vehicle and horizontal. Some departments arent enforcing it , thats all. Daytona just made the penalty alot stricter.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieNNN Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:26 pm

That isn't nice at all.
ZombieNNN
ZombieNNN
Middle of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:34 pm

wow...Fl. gonna be off limits to weirdbeard. He can't seem to keep a tag on at all! I thinks it's just his outlaw, rebel, you ain't gonna tell me what to do side lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:52 pm

wizeguy wrote:wow...Fl. gonna be off limits to weirdbeard. He can't seem to keep a tag on at all! I thinks it's just his outlaw, rebel, you ain't gonna tell me what to do side lol!

Man thats funny because my vertical tag fell off on the way back from thunder beach one year.. Razz I never found it and the cops never gave me any trouble there.. I think they just hate sport bikes maybe? Suspect

Its also funny because on the way back from Barber this weekend my buddy was riding my sporty with a new unbreakable tag bracket and it fell off! Razz HA HA !!
weirdbeard
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:12 pm

https://www.kisantech.com/

This website is where you can buy the headlight modulators and other stuff. The modulator is great and really makes your bike be seen and reduces the times some clown will pull out in front of you. I put them on my Softail and Debi's VTX years ago and they really do work. I just ordered another one for the Deuce Coupe.
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

https://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/jamesr100/Bike%20Stuff/

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 pm

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

I ordered one of these for my Road King and just installed it today. These things are great and go a long way to making you be seen by other drivers and really reduces the amount of time someone pulls out in front of you because they "did not see you". I put one on my Softail and wife's Honda VTX years ago. Very easy to install. I also got the tailight bulb that flashes when you first apply the brakes. that also greatly helps to be seen.
If you want to minimize clowns pulling out in front of you, this is a great investment that may save your bike and your life.

Jim
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:05 pm

jmunsey wrote:https://www.kisantech.com/

This website is where you can buy the headlight modulators and other stuff. The modulator is great and really makes your bike be seen and reduces the times some clown will pull out in front of you. I put them on my Softail and Debi's VTX years ago and they really do work. I just ordered another one for the Deuce Coupe.

I took the modulator off one of my bikes. had drivers pulling out in front of me ALOT. I stopped one driver to ask why, She stated " you flashed your headlight to tell me it was clear to go" I dont use modulators anymore.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:30 am

To each his own. I won't ride a crotch rocket either!!
;-)
I have had one on my Softail for about 5 years. Does amazingly well at keeping people from pulling out in front of me. Not 100% fool proof as there are way to many fools out there. I have had people in front of me pull over thinking I was a cop. Anything that can make you more visible is the way to go. I recently added one to my Road King.
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:42 pm

I wont ride a crotch rocket either, I stick to motorcycles.

As I said I am not against modulators but I personally rate them right up there with loud pipes. Good riding techniques are a better defense than either of these. I will stick to assuming that everyone is partially blind and that i am invisible. Been keeping me out of trouble for many years.

Just my 2 cents.
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by jmunsey Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Stock with whatever works for ya.
jmunsey
jmunsey
Extraordinary Member

Back to top Go down

Post by camo Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:10 pm

jmunsey wrote:Stock with whatever works for ya.

Thats always been my thing..
camo
camo
Rear of the Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down